Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Why are there still movies in it that are clearly going to next year

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Yeah this is the aspect I don’t get. Unless it’s atrocious, there must be at least something else to it than quality. Festivals accept poorly received films quite often. In the OOC slot at Venice 2019 you had The King, The Burnt Orange Heresy and Seberg, all of which received muted reviews and have long been forgotten about. 2018 had quite a few divisive films on that slate and Driven in OOC that was pretty poorly received. Not that I’m ruling out that Macbeth is somehow even worse than that (baffling as it would be given the talent involved), but it feels like there’s something more to it at least. I know they can’t base it on much more than the organiser’s response to the film but I do find it hard to believe they’d reject a Coen-McDormand-Washington-Shakespeare film even if it wasn’t that great.

I lean towards the theory that they were only looking for a slot in competition. But of course, there are multiple issues at play when programming a festival like Venice, it isn’t only about quality. A24 does not have a lot of relationship with the Festival, so maybe they are not so favored when trying to position their films there like other studios.

It also does not make much sense to compare any year with other previous years: the films submitted are obviously different and the factors at play too. Also with the pandemic they might want to support certain films, they might have some films that were delayed from last year and they might consider that they have already enough star power with the films they have in and out of competition.

But of course, in the end, if the programmers had thought the film was very good, it would totally be there. Critics and audiences may feel different about it, it has happened before with other films, but it does not look very promising for its chances

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

No offense but I hope MacBeth completely tanks, im tired of seeing Mcdormand’s arrogant face winning yet again!

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

No offense but I hope MacBeth completely tanks, im tired of seeing Mcdormand’s arrogant face winning yet again!

No offense but let me attack this woman who is passionate about and good at her job.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

No offense but let me attack this woman who is passionate about and good at her job.

Imagine being angry at Frances McDormand just because she is the GOAT and keeps on winning and winning.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Hoping Don’t Look Up tanks so McKay can stop terrorizing the world with subpar films that get overwhelming awards consideration for no reason.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Frances doesn’t even want to win, she didn’t last year for sure. I think that kind of attitude is the reason she keeps winning

Profile picture
    Topics:

Hoping Don’t Look Up tanks so McKay can stop terrorizing the world with subpar films that get overwhelming awards consideration for no reason.

And what does don’t look up/Adam McKay have anything to do with this?

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

Cinderella trailer is out! BP frontrunner! (lmao)

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

Madres Paralelas being announced as the NYFF Closing Film (in addition to it opening Venice) I think tells me that its essentially a (sight unseen) lock for an International Feature nom, right?

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

New York Film Festival

Opening Night: Small Axe – Lovers Rock
    Centerpiece: Nomadland
    Closing Night: The French Exit

Opening Night: The Irishman
    Centerpiece: Marriage Story
    Closing Night: Motherless Brooklyn

Opening Night: The Favourite
    Centerpiece: Roma
    Closing Night: At Eternity’s Gate

Opening Night: Last Flag Flying
    Centerpiece: Wonderstruck
    Closing Night: Wonder Wheel

Opening Night: 13th
    Centerpiece: 20th Century Women
    Closing Night: The Lost City of Z

Opening Night: The Walk
    Centerpiece: Steve Jobs
    Closing Night: Miles Ahead

Opening Night: Gone Girl
    Centerpiece: Inherent Vice
    Closing Night: Birdman

Opening Night: Captain Phillips
    Centerpiece: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    Closing Night: Her

Opening Night: Life of Pi
    Centerpiece: Not Fade Away
    Closing Night: Flight

Opening Night: Carnage
    Centerpiece: My Week With Marilyn
    Closing Night: The Descendants

Opening Night: The Social Network
    Centerpiece: The Tempest
    Closing Night: Hereafter

Apart from the 2017 line up, all the other years had movies that ended up being Oscar contenders in above the line categories.

Opening Night: The Tragedy of MacBeth
    Centerpiece: The Power of the Dog
    Closing Night: Parallel Mothers

It’s safe to assume that at least one of these movies will be above the line contenders.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/coen-bros-split-ethan-done-making-movies-1234655537/

So uh, this seems relevant I guess

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/coen-bros-split-ethan-done-making-movies-1234655537/ So uh, this seems relevant I guess

Kind of, but the headline is obviously clickbait. It explains why Ethan isn’t part of Macbeth but just suggests he was taking a break to do other non-film projects. I’d expect him to come back into the fold on future projects and this doesn’t really suggest otherwise. I’m interested to see how Macbeth turns out in the context of only one brother being involved though.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The guy who posted about Macbeth is extremely credible and never claimed that Blonde had been rejected, just that it wasn’t going. A lot of people made the assumption but it was never part of what was said.

Apart from AW source, Jordan Ruimy posted that Blonde was a categorical rejection & in a later article changed to “Netflix pulled it” because he knew more by that point. Insiders often don’t know why something was rejected or pulled or whatever, they just find out more later. Thus me wondering what the deal is with TTOM.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

New York Film Festival 2020 Closing Night: The French Exit 2019 Closing Night: Motherless Brooklyn 2017 Closing Night: Wonder Wheel 2016 Closing Night: The Lost City of Z 2015 2021 Closing Night: Parallel Mothers

Hopefully Parallel Mothers ends up like Birdman or At Eternity’s Gate and not any of these movies.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.