Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 496 through 503 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

After rewatching the HoG trailer, I have to say I agree with Jordan’s comments about Gaga’s acting. It also looks like Driver didn’t even bother to make an effort with his own accent. The less said about Leto’s accent, the better. I can’t believe that man really might get nominated for a performance with that ridiculous accent. I’m not sure what Jordan meant about his criticism of TLD being “plain and familiar.” Familiar as in there won’t be anything unexpected about it?

Honestly, Americans need to stop commenting on the accent because they keep comparing it to what they think it should sound like (ie the Hollywood Italian accent) without allowing for regional variations (there are a few people from those regions of Italy who have Tweeted that the accents aren’t bad, and someone in the HoG thread broke them down a bit too).

Plus, this isn’t a case of just ‘doing an accent’ – they’re doing an impersonation of the real person they’re playing  – in Gaga’s case, an over-the-top, eccentric, outrageous person, and in Driver’s case a more mild-mannered, softly-spoken, shy kind of dude.

People are making so much of the accent stuff and the script is by far the most important unknown in terms of if the film is good or not. Plus we hardly even heard anyone speak in the trailer.

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

I’m not even sure whether it would be an Oscar thing or not

I think it will be more like a British thing? It’s a romantic drama set in Brighton, I don’t know if Oscars would care (unless their performances are outstanding, but all three leads are ‘new’ to movies so I don’t know). Filming has been done for a couple of months already, and Harry has DWD in 2022 so I was wondering if they would try to separate the two movies.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/coen-bros-split-ethan-done-making-movies-1234655537/ So uh, this seems relevant I guess

The plot twist: The Coen Brothers retiring before Tarantino does.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Probably. Phantom Thread also skipped festivals with a december release.

But at least Phantom Thread didn’t need to because it had lots of buzz due to DDL being the leading man and the narrative of it being his last film.

What’s this movie’s big selling point? PSH’s son being the leading role, and B.Cooper in a brief supporting role??? Lool.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Studios have asked us to add 4 more films for the Oscars predictions center tonight:  THE TENDER BAR (Amazon) Director: George Clooney Screenplay: Adapted Lead Actor: Lead Actress: Supporting Actor: Ben Affleck Supporting Actress:

What’s going on with all this rushed releases? They wrapped up barely three months ago. Curious to see if this is a return to form for Clooney or another Midnight Sky.

By the way, “The harder they fall” will open the London Film Festival in October. Its a weird option for something that feels so American (unless it’s going to Telluride and we don’t know it yet).

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

What’s going on with all this rushed releases? They wrapped up barely three months ago. Curious to see if this is a return to form for Clooney or another Midnight Sky. By the way, “The harder they fall” will open the London Film Festival in October. Its a weird option for something that feels so American (unless it’s going to Telluride and we don’t know it yet).

Clooney is quick when it comes to post-production.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Its a weird option for something that feels so American (unless it’s going to Telluride and we don’t know it yet).

It is a debut from a young British director.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1422731003760680966 He’s back in jail, folks.

This man just loves shooting himself in the foot doesn’t he?

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Viewing 8 posts - 496 through 503 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.