Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

My unpopular opinion is that DiCaprio is a great actor who…lacks good taste in the films he chooses. Most of them are not good, and more recently, they’re films that get feted simply because he’s in them (looking at you, Revenant). Same with Christian Bale, another truly great actor. Before you pile on me, yes I know it’s an unpopular opinion. Forgive me.

I’ll go even spicer. I think DiCaprio is a really good actor who lacks good taste in the films he chooses. He more or less does the same thing in each one — he yells and his voice reaches that one pitch and everyone applauds — and I’ve posted this before but I think he has only really deserved award consideration for 2-3 films (Gilbert Grape, Wolf of Wall StreetAviator. Maybe Basketball Diaries). 

I already took like 80 downvotes on Reddit posting this take so y’all can throw all your tomatoes I stand by it!

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Someone sent me “the script” on AW but it was literally just the first 5 pages or so. I did see people having mixed reviews about it on Reddit and also Script Shadow but I’m actually glad I didn’t get to read the whole thing. I want to be surprised. Even if it’s not good.

My huffing and puffing aside, I think the original script … which I read and as truly god awful as it was … will have little bearing on the final product we see for DLU.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’ll go even spicer. I think DiCaprio is a really good actor who lacks good taste in the films he chooses. He more or less does the same thing in each one — he yells and his voice reaches that one pitch and everyone applauds — and I’ve posted this before but I think he has only really deserved award consideration for 2-3 films (Gilbert Grape, Wolf of Wall Street, Aviator. Maybe Basketball Diaries). 

I already took like 80 downvotes on Reddit posting this take so y’all can throw all your tomatoes I stand by it!

(*Whispers*: stans, I’m so so so sorry)

I agree with you. I cannot get on board with Wolf of Wall Street…sorry! I really disliked the film, I have a lot of problems with its politics, and I know I have to keep this opinion to myself. I think he’s great, with shit taste. Fab in Blood Diamond, Gilbert Grape, Inception, The Aviator. He spent quite some time giving the same performance over and over but he kept getting better. But his taste never improved. Great Gatsby, J Edgar, (controversial opinion) Wolf of Wall Street, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood—I don’t like a single one. But again, I’m clearly in the minority.

The most interesting case to me is Revolutionary Road. It’s a turning point for his acting abilities because the first half of the film…he’s embarrassing. But he gets better and better. Watching that film is like watching DiCaprio’s whole career in one film: his growth has been marvelous, and he started with great performances like Gilbert Grape.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

This is probably a good time for me to say that despite my intense skepticism for The Tragedy of Macbeth…yeah, I do not buy that Venice outright rejected them. Joel Coen, Denzel Washington, and Frances McDormand a year after they premiered Nomadland which swept…everything…?  

I said this in another thread but the person who posted it on AW (I lurk there occasionally) is extremely reliable. Also just because McDormand was also in Nomadland wouldn’t be a reason to automatically accept Macbeth if it isn’t good.

For additional context – it is extremely surprising that a Coen movie is premiering at NYFF as they always go to a Big 3 festival, especially for their bigger movies such as this. Think the last time they went to NYFF was for A Serious Man.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

According to the gossip (Hollywood Elsewhere), Card Counter even will play two (Venice and Telluride). So Belfast just being a TIFF submission so far but apparently being their main push is weird to me? IDK what Focus is up to.

Honestly… it looks like they throw everything they have in hand to Festivals and see how things played out, with Belfast as the safest bet since its a traditional British Oscar bait and Both Soho and Card Counter are anything but traditional Oscar bait.

Like George Ehret said, they will pivot to Soho if its getting through the roofs reactions and the first trailer broke the internet when it was released back in the end of May, building somehow a real hype and getting buzz from Edgar Wright’s peers.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I said this in another thread but the person who posted it on AW (I lurk there occasionally) is extremely reliable. Also just because McDormand was also in Nomadland wouldn’t be a reason to automatically accept Macbeth if it isn’t good.

I do know who you’re talking about, and I agree they’re reliable, but I don’t think it would have been as simple as a rejection. I’m thinking they were rejected for competition, and didn’t choose to be OOC.

A Serious Man is one of their best and most abstruse movies and it got Oscar attention! Deserved more nods than it got but still got BP!

FYC:

Profile picture
    Katelandiabsky
    Topics:

You joined after this happened but: many of us have read that first script, by the way. You can find it if you Google it. That’s the first draft script DiCaprio signed on with but he & McKay worked on it further to improve. I think most people here will tell you that the first script was godawful. The reason we’re still talking about it is because we know DiCaprio & McKay worked on it & we don’t know where they ended up. Love DiCaprio but I think you might be giving his taste a little bit too much credit. The script was certainly not “good” when he signed on lol. It might be now though.

I mean we will see I guess? but until then I would rather believe those people who have seen test screenings of don’t look up  than someone who has no idea about it. And about awards consideration regarding the film, I won’t be upset either way . I just hope it’s a good movie,at the end of the day a good movie is what people will remember.

https://twitter.com/BHSushi/status/1412637543934271492?s=19

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

A Serious Man is one of their best and most abstruse movies and it got Oscar attention! Deserved more nods than it got but still got BP!

OT but A Serious Man is tragically underrated in the Coen-verse. It’s in my top 5 Coen easy.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

About DiCaprio: he plays it safe. He said that he only works with The Greatest: Scorsese 6 times, Ridley Scott, Clint Eastwood, Spielberg, etc…. DiCaprio said that he turned down Boogie Nights because at that time Paul Thomas Anderson was an unknown

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog will be the centerpiece at the New York Film Fest. The Playlist reported it a while ago and I read it; Dennis Lim was super effusive.

For some reason the link is broken right now, but regardless, this is…really cool news! Netflix is really pushing TPOTD. It’ll probably go to Telluride too because the article reported “New York premiere”.

FYC:

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I do know who you’re talking about, and I agree they’re reliable, but I don’t think it would have been as simple as a rejection. I’m thinking they were rejected for competition, and didn’t choose to be OOC. A Serious Man is one of their best and most abstruse movies and it got Oscar attention! Deserved more nods than it got but still got BP!

My point is that it was a smaller movie and didn’t have the star power of something like Macbeth, not that it isn’t good.

Also OOC at Venice is a buzzier slot than opening NYFF so if that’s the logic then I don’t get it.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I mean we will see I guess? but until then I would rather believe those people who have seen test screenings of don’t look up  than someone who has no idea about it.

Um, I said the same thing. I literally said that even though the early draft we read was bad, we have no idea what it might be now. Dunno why you had to be so prickly about it.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

My point is that it was a smaller movie and didn’t have the star power of something like Macbeth, not that it isn’t good.

Also OOC at Venice is a buzzier slot than opening NYFF so if that’s the logic then I don’t get it.

Ah. Sorry. I misunderstood. Yeah at this point I don’t think it’ll be a player outside of Denzel & Frances and who knows, maybe not even them.

You’re definitely right about the OOC at Venice then NYFF. Hell, TPOTD is IN competition at Venice and also doing NYFF so I don’t quite get it.

FYC:

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

HOUSE OF GUCCI isn’t doing Festivals?. In theory, HOUSE OF GUCCI doesn’t need it with that star power and hype but

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.