Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 22)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 22)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 513 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Babylonian
Cosmia
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I just can’t figure out Nightmare Alley. I worry that my personal dislike of it may be clouding my judgement of its chances. I have it out for now but what I have in its place is Drive My Car at 100-1 odds. It is just winning so many BP critics awards that I am thinking it may be a passion pick for that segment of the academy that IS passionate about foreign films. I am probably going to put Being the Ricardos back in, I keep taking it out and putting it back in! I wish it had better direction – the AACTA nomination, yes, Nicole Kidman factors in to that but it is still something to consider…

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Will AMPAS publish the Oscar shortlist on their website?

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

West Side Story’s biggest problem is being a remake, not only of a previous nominee for Best Picture but also a winner, and one of the biggest winners of all time. It seems the film is loved but without enough passion to make it a frontrunner. Campion is sweeping both Director and Adapted Screenplay awards, while Spielberg is just there waiting. We’ve seen The Power of the Dog sweeping some critics groups, while WSS only gets wins for DeBose, who is the film’s biggest chance for a win.  Honestly, i see voters not being interested in rewarding a remake, especially one they could think was unnecesary.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

West Side Story’s biggest problem is being a remake, not only of a previous nominee for Best Picture but also a winner, and one of the biggest winners of all time. It seems the film is loved but without enough passion to make it a frontrunner. Campion is sweeping both Director and Adapted Screenplay awards, while Spielberg is just there waiting. We’ve seen The Power of the Dog sweeping some critics groups, while WSS only gets wins for DeBose, who is the film’s biggest chance for a win. Honestly, i see voters not being interested in rewarding a remake, especially one they could think was unnecesary.

That would only be true if they haven’t seen the movie. The film is superb in every single aspect of its film-making. This remake argument just doesn’t make any sense. This version is a million times better than the 1961 version. It only seems the way it seems because the critics have declared Dog their pick. The academy could feel a resentment at being told they have to choose the same movie and that opens the door for WSS. West Side Story is extremely competitive in many of the technical categories and it absolutely deserves to win them. The film also resonates more with the concerns of academy members too. It’s really between Dog and West Side Story. The problem with Belfast is that it is only other possible win besides BP is Original Screenplay and LP is the frontrunner in that category. So does it pull a Grand Hotel and win only BP? I don’t know what is going to happen yet but there is a scenario where WSS wins the Oscar for certain, and of course there is one for Dog too.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Will AMPAS publish the Oscar shortlist on their website?

Yes

Profile picture
    benedictyou
    Topics:

Every time I open here I see TPOTDs fyc. I love that.

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

West Side Story doesn’t deserve to sweep anything. It’s a good film but there are much better films this year. No need to give awards to a remake of an already great film. I even have problems with Ariana winning, since she is the worst spanish speaking on the film and her scenes in spanish are cringy and far from oscar worthy.

Profile picture
    marcelo
    Topics:

West Side Story doesn’t deserve to sweep anything. It’s a good film but there are much better films this year. No need to give awards to a remake of an already great film. I even have problems with Ariana winning, since she is the worst spanish speaking on the film and her scenes in spanish are cringy and far from oscar worthy.

Coincido totalmente, su Español es ridículo.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Guillermo better upset with a Directing nomination.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos:
    Put Ryan Murphy’s name on it instead of Aaron Sorkin and critics would pan it. This is a mess, a straight up mess. The Editing is awful with some random non cronological scenes between the scenes where the supposed plot of the movie takes part. “Supposed plot” because the movie has no real plot. It’s about nothing. He managed to completely waste all the themes he tries to play with in this movie. Lucy is a communist ? Superficial. Lucy and Desi have marital problems ? Superficial. Lucy wants to be a movie star ? Superficial. Desi is traumatized because of what happened to him in Cuba ? Superficial. Ageism ? Superficial. Racism in Hollywood ? Of course it’s superficial. It’s Sorkin. It’s all superficial.

I’m not familiar with I Love Lucy and Aaron Sorkin made me think that Lucy and Desi were two unlikable and narcisistic pricks. It’s straight up disrespectful.

Javier Bardem is awful in this. He goes from no accent in the first half of the movie to a ridiculously bad and heavy and stereotyped hispanic accent after a weird ass scene where Lucy runs in the street to tell him she got the part in a movie. In a garden obviously made with chroma key. The pacing, the color, the score and the gestures are so weird that I thought it was a scene from I Love Lucy.
    Not even going to enter the xenophobic and sexist POV to Cuba. “In Cuba, the man is the man”. LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL. Murphy would never work again if this was his doing.

Nicole Kidman is just fine. She doesn’t deserve a nomination for putting make up and trying to sound like Lucille. Neither does JK Simmons, who is just playing a version of himself.

MVP’s were EASILY Jake Lacy and Alia Shawkat. I would have liked to see a movie solely focused on them. They’re the only ones who were having fun there. Nina Arianda seems to be just an ageism casting. What age was Vivian Vance when the film is supposed to take place ?

And the score ? Man, the score. Just like Desi’s accent, it’s non existent in the first half and then gets heavy at the end.

Having said all of that, wouldn’t be surprised if if SAG gave it 4 or 5 noms since… Well, it’s SAG. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets a BP nomination, but I’m leaning towards no at the moment.

Awful movie, and I’m no Aaron Sorkin hater like some people on this forum and I was expecting to like this movie because I’ve been positive about all the casting choices. It didn’t work at all.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Does anyone know roughly what time the Academy shortlists will be released today?

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Does anyone know roughly what time the Academy shortlists will be released today?

3 pm PST/6 pm EST

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Being the Ricardos: Put Ryan Murphy’s name on it instead of Aaron Sorkin and critics would pan it. This is a mess, a straight up mess. The Editing is awful with some random non cronological scenes between the scenes where the supposed plot of the movie takes part. “Supposed plot” because the movie has no real plot. It’s about nothing. He managed to completely waste all the themes he tries to play with in this movie. Lucy is a communist ? Superficial. Lucy and Desi have marital problems ? Superficial. Lucy wants to be a movie star ? Superficial. Desi is traumatized because of what happened to him in Cuba ? Superficial. Ageism ? Superficial. Racism in Hollywood ? Of course it’s superficial. It’s Sorkin. It’s all superficial. I’m not familiar with I Love Lucy and Aaron Sorkin made me think that Lucy and Desi were two unlikable and narcisistic pricks. It’s straight up disrespectful. Javier Bardem is awful in this. He goes from no accent in the first half of the movie to a ridiculously bad and heavy and stereotyped hispanic accent after a weird ass scene where Lucy runs in the street to tell him she got the part in a movie. In a garden obviously made with chroma key. The pacing, the color, the score and the gestures are so weird that I thought it was a scene from I Love Lucy. Not even going to enter the xenophobic and sexist POV to Cuba. “In Cuba, the man is the man”. LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL. Murphy would never work again if this was his doing. Nicole Kidman is just fine. She doesn’t deserve a nomination for putting make up and trying to sound like Lucille. Neither does JK Simmons, who is just playing a version of himself. MVP’s were EASILY Jake Lacy and Alia Shawkat. I would have liked to see a movie solely focused on them. They’re the only ones who were having fun there. Nina Arianda seems to be just an ageism casting. What age was Vivian Vance when the film is supposed to take place ? And the score ? Man, the score. Just like Desi’s accent, it’s non existent in the first half and then gets heavy at the end. Having said all of that, wouldn’t be surprised if if SAG gave it 4 or 5 noms since… Well, it’s SAG. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets a BP nomination, but I’m leaning towards no at the moment. Awful movie, and I’m no Aaron Sorkin hater like some people on this forum and I was expecting to like this movie because I’ve been positive about all the casting choices. It didn’t work at all.

</p>
    I just tried to watch this with my mom, and she hated the little bit she saw of it.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Denis Villeneuve is close to a lock…

The only time I agree with you.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Dublin Film Critics Awards
    TPOTD wins 4: film, director, actor and screenplay. Due to the quirks of release dates, it beats Oscar winners Nomadland (film), Zhao (director, not nommed here), Hopkins (actor) PYW & the Father not nommed) in screenplay.

Best Film
    1. The Power of the Dog
    2. Dune
    3. Nomadland
    4. The Green Knight
    5. Another Round
    6. Promising Young Woman
    7. The Father
    8. Minari
    9. Pig
    10. Azor

Best Director
    1. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    2. Denis Villeneuve, Dune
    3. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    4. David Lowery, The Green Knight
    5. Steven Spielberg, West Side Story
    6. Céline Sciamma, Petite Maman
    7. Leos Carax, Annette
    8. Michael Sarnoski, Pig
    9. Darius Marder, Sound of Metal
    10. Ben Sharrock, Limbo

Best Documentary
    1. Summer of Soul
    2. Acasa, My Home
    3. The Sparks Brothers
    4. To the Moon
    5. Gunda
    6. The 8th
    7. Breaking Out
    8. Love Yourself Today
    9. The Truffle Hunters
    10. The Rescue

Best Actor
    1. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    2. Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    3. Oscar Isaac, The Card Counter
    4. Mads Mikkelsen, Another Round
    5. Nicolas Cage, Pig
    6. Steven Yeun, Minari
    7. Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
    8. Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    9. Luca Marinelli, Martin Eden
    10. Stanley Tucci, Supernova

Best Actress
    1. Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth; Nomadland
    2. Kristen Stewart, Spencer
    3. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    4. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    5. Natasa Stork, Preparations to Be Together for an Unknown Period of Time
    6. Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    7. Deragh Campbell, Anne at 13,000 Ft.
    8. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    9. Claire Dunne, Herself
    10. Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

Best Screenplay
    1. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    2. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    3. David Lowery, The Green Knight
    4. Lawrence Michael Levine, Black Bear
    5. Thomas Vinterberg and Tobias Lindholm, Another Round
    6. Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    7. Chloé Zhao, Nomadland
    8. Kelly Reichardt and Jonathan Raymond, First Cow
    9. Andreas Fontana and Mariano Llinás, Azor
    10. Ben Sharrock, Limbo

Best Cinematography
    1. Greig Fraser, Dune
    2. Andrew Droz Palermo, The Green Knight
    3. Ari Wegner, The Power of the Dog
    4. Claire Mathon, Spencer
    5. Janusz Kaminski, West Side Story
    6. Daria D’Antonio, The Hand of God
    7. Caroline Champetier, Annette
    8. Gabriel Sandru, Azor
    9. Nick Cooke, Limbo
    10. Anthony Scott Burns, Come True

Best Irish Film
    1. Arracht
    2. To the Moon
    3. Rose Plays Julie
    4. Herself
    5. Wildfire

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 22)’ is closed to new replies.