Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 25)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 549 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
OscarWatcher1..
federico ruba..
  • Profile picture
    edelweiss
    Topics:

Metacritic’s user poll of Best Movies of 2021. Very interesting that the user poll is different from the critics scores/polls. Of particular note, Dune, Belfast and CODA are at the top of the list and HoG is pretty high up.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-users-pick-the-best-of-2021

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Metacritic’s user poll of Best Movies of 2021. Very interesting that the user poll is different from the critics scores/polls. Of particular note, Dune, Belfast and CODA are at the top of the list and HoG is pretty high up. https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-users-pick-the-best-of-2021

House of Gucci is easily the film of the year. The people love it. If I were the Academy, I will give it a nomination automatically

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

Love seeing Lamb at #4.

FYC:

"Now We're Cookin'" - Son Lux & Randy Newman for Original Song

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Metacritic’s user poll of Best Movies of 2021. Very interesting that the user poll is different from the critics scores/polls. Of particular note, Dune, Belfast and CODA are at the top of the list and HoG is pretty high up. https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-users-pick-the-best-of-2021

Dune is on top of every public poll I’ve seen so far, I think it’s safe to say critics got this one wrong.

That particular poll is a bit suspect to me, Lamb and HoG in the top ten?

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Metacritic’s user poll of Best Movies of 2021. Very interesting that the user poll is different from the critics scores/polls. Of particular note, Dune, Belfast and CODA are at the top of the list and HoG is pretty high up.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-users-pick-the-best-of-2021

Oh look, Power of the Dog ahead of House of Gucci. Love the sound of that.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I know it’s probably a super long shot but I really wanna see Drive My Car nominated for BP. I guess it’s pretty likely to be nominated for International BP, but is there any route for it to get in BP as well?

It might be an uphill battle but I’m predicting it as sort of NGNG pick.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

NY Mag’s Vulture Updates “Oscar Futures”

Vulture appears to have been on a stretch of buzz-o-meter autopilot this week, with four of the six predicted categories featuring a repeated UP-rated contender (though in the BP and BD races this signals the addition of Spider-Man and Hamaguchi, respectively.)
    He quietly bumps Being the Ricardos from BP to make room for Spidey, though curiously notes he sees BTR as more likely for the “10th slot” than TTB, which also gets an UP rating. (OK, then…🤷‍♂️)

In BD he flags Branagh as being in decline as he’s bounced out for Hamaguchi. Quietly, Leto gets reinstated as Simmons’s brief stay in the predictions ends, but Gaga remains on the sidelines as Actress holds steady.

In Actor, DiCaprio returns while Dinklage is evicted (perhaps a nod to DLU’s strengthening BP chances as Cyrano’s fade),
    and Negga unfortunately is once again shown the exit, as Buckley makes her first appearance in Vulture’s official forecast.

Excerpts:

PICTURE
    UP: Spider-Man: Far From Home
    [2nd straight week]
    UP: Tick, Tick … Boom!
    I remain skeptical that the film has a broad enough base to break through here; something like Being the Ricardos, though a worse film overall, just feels like it has more routes to recognition. Watch Sunday’s Golden Globes — wait, you can’t — to see if TTB has juice outside Garfield.
    Predix: Bfast/CODA/DLU/
    Dune/KR/LP/
    LostDaughter/
    TPOTD/SpiderMan/WSS
    IN: Spider-Man: No Way Home
    OUT: Being the Ricardos

DIRECTOR
    UP: Ryusuke Hamaguchi
    [2nd straight week].
    DOWN: Kenneth Branagh
    While Belfast remains strong elsewhere on the ballot, this is the place where those Roma comparisons could hurt.
    Predix: PTAnderson/Campion/
    Hamaguchi/Spielberg/
    Villeneuve
    IN: Ryusuke Hamaguchi
    OUT: Kenneth Branagh

ACTOR
    EVEN: Will Smith
    UP: Nicolas Cage

But is his candidacy simply an awards-season meme stock or something real? I question how many Academy voters will be able to get past Pig’s “foodie John Wick” premise.
    Predix: Cumberbatch/DiCaprio
    Garfield/Smith/Washington
    (BACK) IN: Leonardo DiCaprio
    OUT: Peter Dinklage

ACTRESS
    UP: Penélope Cruz
    UP: Alana Haim

I’d still give Zegler the better chance of catching on with Oscar, but Haim comes into Golden Globes night with more precursor momentum.
    Predix: Colman/Cruz/
    Kidman/Stewart/Zegler
    Unchanged

SUPP ACTOR
    UP: Kodi Smith-McPhee
    [2nd straight week].
    UP: Vincent Lindon
    The increasingly international cast of the Academy means we shouldn’t count out the Titane long shot entirely.
    Predix: Dornan/Hinds/
    Kotsur/Leto/Smit-McPhee
    (BACK) IN: Jared Leto
    OUT: J.K. Simmons

SUPP ACTRESS
    UP: Ariana DeBose
    [2nd straight week].
    UP: Ann Dowd
    She picked up a little critics-group recognition this week, and some pundits think a career-tribute nomination could be in order. Consider her in the mix for the fifth spot.
    Predix: Balfe/Buckley/DeBose/Dunst/Ellis
    IN: Jessie Buckley
    (BACK) OUT: Ruth Negga

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Director:
    1. Jane Campion
    2. Kenneth Branagh
    3. Denis Villeneuve
    4. Paul Thomas Anderson
    5. Steven Spielberg

Possible switch between Anderson and Gyllenhaal.

Picture:
    1. Belfast
    2. The Power of the Dog
    3. Dune
    4. Don’t look up
    5. Licorice Pizza
    6. West side story
    7. Tick tick boom
    8. King Richard
    9. CODA
    10. The lost daughter

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Deaths remain low even as cases skyrocket. That’s been a constant wherever omicron goes.

Yep. Avoided it for 2 years and then got it a week ago. It was basically like a cold… mild but so transmissible that literally everyone I know is now sick (not through me, I mean everyone I know regardless of where they live :/ but honestly, ugh, glad to have it behind me). Perhaps especially people who have managed to avoid it thus far are getting it now. Yeah there’s a high chance it’ll recede but right now it’s still spreading ……super duper fast!

Deaths overall remain low — but amongst older people, it’s probably still pretty bad. Which is more than enough to have an effect (esp given that we can’t exactly test to distinguish between variants).

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’ll be fair to HoG folx and say: despite HoG doing very well in theaters, this is probably much more because the huuuuuge audience afforded to TPOTD has made it a lot more seen than HoG. But……yes, it sure seems liked more than enough and not super dIVisIvE. (We already knew that… but ah well.)

Spider-Man being lower than expected is…… hmmmm. I doubt “regular people” would necessarily put it #1 anyway. It’s obviously vvvv popular but making bank is not equal to being loved. Correlation not causation. I don’t think The Last Duel is still that widely seen even on VOD, I assume people who have tend to rather like it?

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I mean TPOTD average rating on RT is 4.3. House of Gucci is 4.2. So I think MC results mirror that. Audiences like the former a little bit more.

Profile picture
    Grunge
    Topics:

Seeing TPOTD above Spiderman: No Way Home is a very encouraging sign that is more audience friendly than we’ve suspected. I know its not at the top but its a good sign when any movie is above Spiderman: No Way Home because audiences went batshit for that movie.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Dune is on top of every public poll I’ve seen so far, I think it’s safe to say critics got this one wrong. That particular poll is a bit suspect to me, Lamb and HoG in the top ten?

Dune could easily upset in Best Picture. It has film snob and populist appeal. People did too much with the whole “half a movie” narrative bs.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 549 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.