Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 522 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
OscarWatcher1..
federico ruba..
JV
  • Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

USC Adapted Screenplay 2022 Noms Dune – (Screenwriters Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve), based on the novel of the same name (Author Frank Herbert) The Lost Daughter – (Screenwriter Maggie Gyllenhaal), based on the novel of the same name (Author Elena Ferrante) Passing – (Screenwriter Rebecca Hall), based on the novel of the same name (Author Nella Larsen) The Power of the Dog – (Screenwriter Jane Campion), based on the novel of the same name (Author Thomas Savage) The Tragedy of Macbeth – (Screenwriter Joel Coen), based on the play Macbeth (Playwright William Shakespeare)

Does it mean anything that “CODA” and “West Side Story” were left off?

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Does it mean anything that “CODA” and “West Side Story” were left off?

CODA was not eligible. West Side Story… Maybe, considering that writers historically don’t respond well to musicals. If it misses BAFTA it’s in trouble.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

WSS was eligible. They just don’t like musicals.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Now having seen Drive My Car, I can confirm that it should be winning in a landslide. Unfortunately it won’t because Janus is such a weak studio for campaigns, but I’m now confident that it’ll be nominated. Its main obstacle right now is definitely visibility, but that’s what free screeners are for, and the people who have seen it will probably be putting it at the top of their ballots. This movie deserves everything.

FYC: PHYSICAL (Rose Byrne) THE SEX LIVES OF COLLEGE GIRLS (Amrit Kaur, Renee Rapp) YELLOWJACKETS (Samantha Hanratty, Christina Ricci) THE OTHER TWO (Drew Tarver, Helene Yorke) THE GREAT (Elle Fanning) BETTER THINGS (Pamela Adlon)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I think it’s more likely than, say, Branagh winning Director or whatever, but still not particularly likely. The Academy isn’t a hive mind, they don’t all collectively go “oh let’s spread the wins around.” Is it possible enough of them do to make a difference? Yes, but that’s just a hypothetical.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

the over performance with the Bafta longlist

Didn’t Marlee Matlin miss BAFTA longlists? I think the only mention CODA got there that felt kind of surprising was Sound, but that still made sense since it’s such a music-heavy film.

Having said that, my top 5 is normally just the DGA 5 so I haven’t really thought of where it ranks among the BP contenders at this stage. If we’re using BAFTA and SAG as indicators then I think I’d maybe put DLU in 5th place now after POTD/Belfast/WSS/Dune.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Is Coda being underestimated? I’m thinking with the SAG ensemble and the over performance with the Bafta longlist it’s looking to be a top 5 contender. For the longest time I had it in the bottom 5, but something tells me to reconsider. I also think it’s a strong chance to win Adapted. It’s obvious that Jane is likely winning director, and I think Academy voters are going to want to spread the wealth. I don’t see this as another Parasite where it won Director, Picture, and Screenplay. I see a possibility of votes being split when it comes to Adapted, and could go in Codas direction as opposed to TPOTD. What do you think?

Did it really overperform at the BAFTAs tho? Marlee Matlin wasn’t longlisted. Regarding Adapted, I think it’s winning WGA, since most of that category is basically ineligible and I don’t see them going with first part of a sci-fi movie or with a musical. With that said, Jane is still (more than likely) winning Adapted at the CCA and BAFTA. So idk. I don’t really think its that strong tbh.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Enough already https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1483901364623314951?cxt=HHwWjsC4gbub8JcpAAAA

If this prevents Gucci and Ricardos from getting in, sure as hell go for it.

Profile picture
    themisnnemesis
    Topics:

‘Power of the Dog’ named best film of 2021 by Houston film critics
    This ‘Dog’ doesn’t bark, it roars. It won four other awards including director and actor while the Southeast Texas-shot ‘Red Rocket’ also wins.

Picture: “The Power of the Dog”

Director: Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog”

Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Power of the Dog”

Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, “The Power of the Dog”

Screenplay: Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog”

Original Score: (tie) Hans Zimmer, “Dune”; Jonny Greenwood, “The Power of the Dog”

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/movies-tv/power-of-the-dog-named-best-film-of-2021-by-16788472

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

Even if Adam McKay, Sian Heder or Reinaldo Marcus Green got a DGA nomination, which I think is unlikely, I doubt that they would repeat at the Oscars, so I wouldn’t scratch my head too much.

ah yeah seems dificult they repeat at oscar. It’s important in the aspect that a movie not nominated to DGA is automaticaly eliminated for the oscar race. Like happend with the favourite ( and i think the only reason that movie not had  a DGA nom was because not has a golden globe director nom and sga ensamble nom because was in the top 5 in the oscar races before the DGA nominations)

Profile picture
    The Queen
    Topics:

Kodi Scott-McPhee

… 🤣☠

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

… 🤣☠

They would’ve never got the Smit right.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)’ is closed to new replies.