Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 522 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
OscarWatcher1..
federico ruba..
JV
  • Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

You know a lot of people actually saw and liked Green Book (outside of snobby film twitter) lol. The GP at least, I didn’t care for it at all… The Favourite was way better than Roma and Italian Viggo Book. Anyways on topic, yes we may have to live with a Belsnore or Another West Side Remake win this year. But the passion for all the frontrunners, including Dog feels kinda eh and just dead this year.

Yes, I’m aware some people liked Green Book- that’s why it won best picture. That’s why I think Belflop or Worst Side Story could also win even though they aren’t anything special.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

and king richard has a score nom predicted in feinberg forecast but that seems like out of nowhere

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

Interesting. Didn’t Feinberg also predict Passengers for score several years ago?

Hmmm…..

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

so you begin with a totally unrealistic hypotesis: what if king richard missed the GWA nom. And then you ask if in that unrealistic scenario could be another unrealistic scenario inside when miss picture nom with a SAG ensamble and globe drama noms . Like you really hate the movie or what? the question is pretty weird

No, I like the movie plenty fine. I’m just throwing out ideas.

The tendency for users of this forum to close-mindedly respond with “100% NO” is arrogant and foolish, when history has proven there’s really no such thing when it comes to Oscar.

I was here back in 2016, and I remember someone getting their head ripped off in an actress thread for suggesting Amy Adams was vulnerable for Arrival, and then lo and behold.

You never know with these things. Absolute certainty does not exist.

None of us on Goldderby, except for maybe a handful of savants, truly know what’s going to happen on Oscar nomination morning, so I don’t see the harm in playing the “what if” game.

(Now I wait for someone to reply with a TRULY ludicrous idea like Annette making picture, just to spite me, lol)

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

is Zach Baylin’s debut screenplay really as sure of a thing as most are predicting?

This year there are too many screenplays that are predicted to get an Original Screenplay nomination but that aren’t good screenplays at all. “King Richard”, but also “Belfast”, “Don’t Look Up” and “Being the Ricardos” don’t have good writing in them. It’s really depressing. I hope one of them will be snubbed.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

Interesting. Didn’t Feinberg also predict Passengers for score several years ago? Hmmm…..

He has industry info, anyways, the calm before the storm:

24th – Art Directors Guild Nominations (ADG)

24th – Online Film Critics Society (OFCS)

24th – Motion Picture Sound Editors Nominations (MPSE)

25th – American Society of Cinematographers Nominations (ASC)

25th – Cinema Audio Society Nominations (CAS)

26th – Costume Designers Guild Nominations (CDG)

27th – American Cinema Editors Nominations (ACE)

27th – Directors Guild of America Nominations (DGA)

27th – Oscar Nomination Voting Begins 9am PT (AMPAS)

27th – Producers Guild of America Nominations (PGA)

27th – Writers Guild of America Nominations (WGA)

31st – Casting Society of America Artios Awards Nominations (CSA)

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

This year there are too many screenplays that are predicted to get an Original Screenplay nomination but that aren’t good screenplays at all. “King Richard”, but also “Belfast”, “Don’t Look Up” and “Being the Ricardos” don’t have good writing in them. It’s really depressing. I hope one of them will be snubbed.

True, considering it’s just the writers voting for nominations, the top 5 in the odds for OS don’t quite line up with the branch’s reputation for doing its homework. Belfast, LP and DLU are almost definitely safe in my opinion, either because of their heat in Picture or because their writers are past nominees/winners. BTR could go either way; I thought the screenplay was pretty weak but they do nominate Sorkin for almost everything.

I could definitely see King Richard being snubbed in places like Screenplay leading to a pretty low Oscar nomination count, but it ultimately not mattering that much since BP and Actor nominations are so closely linked these days anyway. It would just mean that it’s sitting somewhere towards the bottom of the 10 instead of the middle. On its worst day it could be the next The Blind Side.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

I can’t locate Feinberg’s globe pix on line. How many did he get right?

His stanning for Belfast is embarrassing. He tweeted a whinge about the hate for Belfast & is hasn’t won BP yet. He’s sure it’s winning.

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

the top 5 in the odds for OS don’t quite line up with the branch’s reputation for doing its homework

Exactly.

BTW, thanks for the reminder about The Blind Side! I totally forgot that Sandy was that film’s sole nomination besides picture.

I had become accustomed to the last few years (post-Selma) where you NEEDED a screenplay nomination to get in picture unless you were some kind of tech player like Mank, Ford v Ferrari, Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, Darkest Hour, Hacksaw Ridge, Mad Max, The Revenant, etc.

With new voting procedures and the first year back to 10 in a while, I bet there are plenty of clues to be drawn from the 2010 Oscar nominations…

For instance, maybe we’re in for another A Serious Man, and a film gets only picture and screenplay?

Mass or C’mon C’mon perhaps?

Assuming the Academy has done their homework (which many branches have been pretty good about in recent years), I could see a situation where the writers and the actors push Mass in, but its quartet of actors cancel each other out of nominations.

As for King Richard, making picture with acting and music does seem appropriate actually, when I think about it. The music branch isn’t kind to newcomers though, and they tend to go for scores with more “hummable” melodies than what can be heard in Kris Brower’s score.

Plus, if Feinberg is right, it would be odd that it missed score at the globes when it was a picture contender. Then again, in a way, maybe so was Parallel Mothers and we just couldn’t tell because of their unique policy on picture and “foreign-language films”.

Oh god, now I’m considering putting Penelope Cruz back in my lineup…

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

It’s worth paying close attention to how Belfast does now it’s been released in Britain. I haven’t seen it yet but I was speaking to staff at a cinema yesterday and they said it was really popular over its first couple of days both with turn-out and audience reaction (anecdotal of course but maybe significant). It has the potential to do really well here and it’s been advertised more of TV than pretty much any film I can recall since the pandemic began, including Spiderman. Could carry it to BAFTA wins and huge support from British voters if that materialises in box office success, which I think might swing the Picture race in its favour.

Profile picture
    pierremg
    Topics:

He has industry info, anyways, the calm before the storm: 

Does he? He removed Gaga from his predictions before the SAG noms came out. And now she’s back at #3. That alone makes me believe he’s not that well informed.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It’s worth paying close attention to how Belfast does now it’s been released in Britain. I haven’t seen it yet but I was speaking to staff at a cinema yesterday and they said it was really popular over its first couple of days both with turn-out and audience reaction (anecdotal of course but maybe significant). It has the potential to do really well here and it’s been advertised more of TV than pretty much any film I can recall since the pandemic began, including Spiderman. Could carry it to BAFTA wins and huge support from British voters if that materialises in box office success, which I think might swing the Picture race in its favour.

Precisely.

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

Famous British film reviewer Mark Kermode said he’s “pretty certain that Belfast is going to win best picture” because casual movie-going audiences in the UK are LOVING it and it has “that sweet spot” of critics admiration AND audience admiration.

Yup, it looks like the British block is gonna carry Belfast to victory. I think we all had better come to terms with that. It was always going to be Belfast.

*sigh*

Well played, Kenneth Branagh.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Famous British film reviewer Mark Kermode said he’s “pretty certain that Belfast is going to win best picture” because casual movie-going audiences in the UK are LOVING it and it has “that sweet spot” of critics admiration AND audience admiration.

Yup, it looks like the British block is gonna carry Belfast to victory. I think we all had better come to terms with that. It was always going to be Belfast.

*sigh*

Well played, Kenneth Branagh.

Nothing is as simple as you are saying.
    The Power of the Dog has tremendous passion behind it and so has West Side Story. It’s still a three way race with TPOTD leading at present with Belfast at #2, West Side Story at #3.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 26)’ is closed to new replies.