Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 519 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
OscarWatcher1..
Manav
The Northman
  • Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Summary from the guilds: TPOTD & Belfast hit all the guilds they needed to.

Belfast got SAG ensemble but missed 2 supporting slots, TPOTD missed ensemble but got 3 actors in and led noms. TPOTD got set decorators & CAS which Belfast missed & both missed ADG & CDG. Both ineligible for WGA.

AACTA International gave Picture to TPOTD but it’s unclear how many members vote & their overlap with AMPAS if any.

Post-guilds & pre-BAFTA, neither film has done better with the guilds. It’s still a 2-horse race, TPOTD higher number of guilds but Belfast has the SAG ensemble.

Didn’t mention WSS as it missed SAG ensemble, only got 1 SAG nod & missed ACS & Eddie. It’s dead.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

So, what films are for slots 9-10?

We can agree that:

TPOTD/WSS/Belfast/Licorice Pizza/Dune/Don’t Look Up/King Richard/CODA

are the locks

Then we have

Tick Tick Boom, Being The Ricardos, Tragedy of MacBeth, House of Gucci

We can safely say Spider-Man is done and NTTD too, although the later had great showing in Longlists of Oscars.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1486825236012015622

Lol, someone tell him that Chicago 7, Jojo Rabbit, A Star is Born, The Big Short, Lady Bird, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Descendants, The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood all had those noms.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

Erik Anderson
    @awards_watch
    If you’re looking at this as your Oscar five remember that there hasn’t been a year without a first-time Best Director nominee since 1950

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

Tick Tick Boom, Being The Ricardos, Tragedy of MacBeth, House of Gucci 

and drive my car and nightmare alley

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

The amount of campaigning that Awards Watch & Next Best Picture are doing for Belfast- they should just be on the pay roll.

They never talk about it’s misses or vulnerability.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

People predicting SPIELBERG to get snubbed are freaking delusional. He’s the Scorsese (The Irishman) of this race. Lack of passion for the movie as whole to win anything but he’s undeniable of a nom.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

The thing that gives me pause about Hamaguchi in Director is that even though they hadn’t been nominated before, you could reasonably assume that the branch was familiar with some of Bong, Vinterberg and Pawilkowski’s previous work (from International Feature noms/wins in the past, or in Bong’s case some crossover success with English titles).

He’s probably locked for BAFTA but that doesn’t necessarily mean much with the juries.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

So, what films are for slots 9-10? We can agree that: TPOTD/WSS/Belfast/Licorice Pizza/Dune/Don’t Look Up/King Richard/CODA are the locks Then we have Tick Tick Boom, Being The Ricardos, Tragedy of MacBeth, House of Gucci We can safely say Spider-Man is done and NTTD too, although the later had great showing in Longlists of Oscars.

I have Being the Ricardos (because I’ve got 100/1 odds and I just feel strongly about it) and Tick… Tick… Boom. I chose the latter over Macbeth because I’m predicting Coen to be this year’s director nominee without a correlating Best Picture nomination.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

People predicting SPIELBERG to get snubbed are freaking delusional. He’s the Scorsese (The Irishman) of this race. Lack of passion for the movie as whole to win anything but he’s undeniable of a nom.

Except WSS is actually missing noms left and right.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the last time a nomination leader at the Oscars missed out on a Best Director nomination? It seems like this year’s nomination leader will be Dune and, in the past decade at least, every film that was a nomination leader got in for Directing.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Except WSS is actually missing noms left and right.

So what ? The directors branch is composed by 500 people and they pick the nominees. They’re not members of these guilds.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the last time a nomination leader at the Oscars missed out on a Best Director nomination? It seems like this year’s nomination leader will be Dune and, in the past decade at least, every film that was a nomination leader got in for Directing.

Dreamgirls got 8 nominations (leader) and missed Picture and Director (despite PGA, DGA and SAG Ensemble noms)

That was 15 years ago and I don’t think any movie did that since then

Then again 2006 was a weird year because all BP frontrunners had a very low nominations tally

FYC

Best Actress - Pénélope Cruz, Olivia Colman

Best Actor - Denzel Washington

Best Supporting Actress - Aunjanue Ellis, Kathryn Hunter

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Updated Predictions

Best Picture
    1. The Power Of The Dog
    2. Belfast
    3. Dune
    4. West Side Story
    5. Licorice Pizza
    6. CODA
    7. Don’t Look Up
    8. King Richard
    9. Tick, Tick…Boom!
    10. Being The Ricardos

Best Director
    1. Jane Campion, The Power Of The Dog
    2. Denis Villeneuve, Dune
    3. Steven Spielberg, West Side Story
    4. Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
    5. Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza

Profile picture
    silvestre
    Topics:

The thing that gives me pause about Hamaguchi in Director is that even though they hadn’t been nominated before, you could reasonably assume that the branch was familiar with some of Bong, Vinterberg and Pawilkowski’s previous work (from International Feature noms/wins in the past, or in Bong’s case some crossover success with English titles). He’s probably locked for BAFTA but that doesn’t necessarily mean much with the juries.

His early 2021 run with festival awards was uncanny (Silver Bear in Berlin + Jury and Screenplay in Cannes, two different films!), that was probably what got people to  pay attention to Drive My Car (alongside that NY win, of course). Asako I & II, his 2018 film, was also in contention for the Palme and was featured in the Cahiers list of that year.

He certainly doesn’t have the status of a Bong or a Vinterberg in the US, but their peers — specially the non-american ones — probably watched one or two of his films. Cannes is always the best indicator for the directors branch surprises.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.