Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 519 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
OscarWatcher1..
Manav
The Northman
  • Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

TPOTD got set decorators & CAS which Belfast missed

Didn’t mention WSS as it missed SAG ensemble, only got 1 SAG nod & missed ACS & Eddie. It’s dead.

Set decorator guild is irrelevant lol. Belfast missed CAS but got into the Effects/Foley category with the Sound Editors guild, which is the one that really matters there (POTD did not get in).

It can be said both underperformed at SAG, but I would put the Ensemble category above anything else there. So, still a slight advantage to Belfast overall.

West Side Story is not dead at all. The ACE miss is very strange but it might have been a screener issue, and even if it wasn’t, for some completely bizarre reason, we already saw Spotlight winning BP without ACE. Winning the Editing Oscar without an ACE nomination is a harder thing to achieve, but it happened multiple times in the 60’s.

Here’s a curious stat for you – the 1961 West Side Story also missed with ACE…but went on to win the Editing Oscar.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

The only potential director spoilers I see are Hamaguchi, Coen, McKay, and (very far off) Gyllenhaal. Let’s see what BAFTA does. It isn’t great that DMC didn’t get into Best Film, but Hamaguchi’s chances are still good.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Stop with the screener issue excuses for WSS.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Imagine if the Oscars do one thing right and give Dune best picture this year.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Main obstacle is that it’s part 1.

I also think it’s a tad confusing & lacks an emotional core.

I imagine part 2 will win BP though.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

Honestly, I have seen all these movies and I would vote for Westside Story or Drive My Car. I just found these two movies 🎥 perfect. I wouldn’t vote for The Power of Dog, I think it is good, but overhyped. Belfast is ok, but nothing ground-breaking. Dune is passable, Don’t Look Up is basic, King Richard is forgettable, Being The Ricardos and Tick Tick Boom are ok, definitely not win worthy.  Licorice Pizza so and so, The Tragedy of MacBeth is great but I guess not for all people.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Stop with the screener issue excuses for WSS.

It’s not an excuse, it’s factually something that happens during award season, and has been an especially prevalent problem at SAG over the years. We know Disney bungled the screeners there this year; it stands to reason they also have in other places.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Stop with the screeners excuses

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I finally watched Licorice Pizza and now I’m actually scared of Don’t Look Up winning Screenplay.

Because Pizza it’s not the type of movie that wins Screenplay: it doesn’t have a story, it doesn’t have a conflict or an “important topic”. Maybe they’ll just namecheck PTA, but now I’m really worried about it.

Anyway, I loved Licorice Pizza. I totally got lost in the world, the characters, the performances, the vibes. Also it was funny as hell. And I was actually moved with the scene of Alana and the gay couple.

Yes, the love story is controversial, but I think it was totally meant to be that way. Most PTA films are about finding love/family in unusual and unrequited places.

It’s my personal pick for Best Picture, for now. (I haven’t seen Drive My Car yet)

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Stop with the screeners excuses

Just keep Not Looking Up, see where that gets you.

Profile picture
    m_butterfly
    Topics:

I loved Dune but still it is half a movie.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Main obstacle is that it’s part 1. I also think it’s a tad confusing & lacks an emotional core. I imagine part 2 will win BP though.

It’ll be the first time since the Godfather that a first and second installment win Best Picture.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

It was understandable for the SAG underperformance, not so much for missing very important guilds later on.

It’s understandable anywhere. If you don’t have screeners you’re probably not getting nominated. That’s simply how the game works. Especially in this age of covid when people are staying home more.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Imagine if the Oscars do one thing right and give Dune best picture this year.

It’s my personal favorite of the lineup but there’s too many hurdles

It’s the Mad Max of the year

FYC

Best Actress - Pénélope Cruz, Olivia Colman

Best Actor - Denzel Washington

Best Supporting Actress - Aunjanue Ellis, Kathryn Hunter

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.