Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 519 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
OscarWatcher1..
Manav
The Northman
  • Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Imagine if the Oscars do one thing right and give Dune best picture this year.

If they do one thing right, then Dune wouldn’t be winning.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

feinberg now says Hamaguchi is not going to be nominated to director

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

AMPAS almost never gets it right IMO but they like what they like and I’m certainly sure they hate being told what to nominate or award.

It’s stunning that the film that won the critics trifecta will not make Picture or Director. It will win International though.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Another Super White year at the Academy for Best Picture SMDH.

King Richard, West Side Story have great diverse casts.
    CODA has a really progressive cast.
    Dune is also quite diverse.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:
    Award Chaos
    Topics:

I still don’t understand the acclaim for CODA. It’s a Lifetime movie. The story is cliché and the Eugenio Derbez’s character is a charicature. This is just a case of people wanting to be “inclusive” because of deaf actors, but this is not a high quality, oscar movie by any means. Someone explain this to me.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I still don’t understand the acclaim for CODA. It’s a Lifetime movie. The story is cliché and the Eugenio Derbez’s character is a charicature. This is just a case of people wanting to be “inclusive” because of deaf actors, but this is not a high quality, oscar movie by any means. Someone explain this to me.

I agree with everything you said especially about Eugenio Derbez who was actively awful, like unwatchable. But I enjoyed the family interactions so much and maybe didn’t find it quite as schmaltzy as you but it’s up there. But Troy Kotsur genuinely gave one of my favourite performances and I love stories about the deaf community. I want to see more stories about deaf people, as well as other stories about barriers to inclusion for people living with other kinds of impairments. So a vote for CODA is a vote for Kotsur and a vote for the movement, imo. In any case it’s really nice to have a film of this tone in contention, it’s just so different from the usual very serious/biopic/masculine fare. To answer your question, I think CODA is riding the Sound of Metal wave, and I’m glad there is one. And the pressure of child carers and interpreters is immense, as kids of other languages will identify with. Her decision making process around leaving is really devastating if you put yourself in her shoes.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

King Richard, yes 1 out of 10, the token Black Movie Of The Year, and Did you really just say CODA and Dune???

King Richard is diverse. West Side Story is also massively diverse. So there’s 2 with predominantly non-white focused casts. Diversity is just not race. It’s also the inclusion of minorities and the inclusion of CODA is a great way to honor the deaf community who are shown as vibrant people. Dune is not exactly very diverse (and some people call it white savior) but it has non-white cast members in some prominent roles,not to mention that all the Freemen are non-white. So it’s atleast better than other years but not quite as diverse as last year.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

But Troy Kotsur genuinely gave one of my favourite performances and I love stories about the deaf community. I want to see more stories about deaf people, as well as other stories about barriers to inclusion for people living with other kinds of impairments. So a vote for CODA is a vote for Kotsur and a vote for the movement, imo. In any case it’s really nice to have a film of this tone in contention, it’s just so different from the usual very serious/biopic/masculine fare.

Absolutely agreed.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I will say even though zie doesn’t have much of a role, iris menas being an out nonbinary actor playing a trans role in a best picture nominee will be nice. Still a very long way from making up for the decades of shitty treatment  for trans people in hollywood, but this is a nice first.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

You’ve explained it quite well yourself.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

In regards to Nightmate Alley, after the PGA miss, the BAFTAs miss, not AACTA Best Film nom, it is obviously weak for that 10th spot. The only serious thing has going for it is the CC Best Film Nom(that is filler there as 10th slot) and some tech guilds.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.