Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 508 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
The Northman
Manav
  • Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I would’ve taken the wrap’s poll a bit more seriously if it didn’t have TPOTDG missing lmao…

Even if it’s a small sample, 300 feels like something large enough to be at least a little bit representative and TPOTDG missing makes no sense. So I’m sensing something fishy here.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

I expect old American AMPAs voters to like WSS more and international AMPAS members to like The Power of the Dog more, Belfast winning would make sense because it has elements that both American and international voters like.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

The Wrap conducted a survey with 300 AMPAs and Guild members, King Richard wasn’t strong, surprise, surprise

The Power of the Dog also wasn’t top 10 according to that survey, which is strange because Campion was the highest vote getter in Director.

Profile picture
    snowball
    Topics:

I expect old American AMPAs voters to like WSS more and international AMPAS members to like The Power of the Dog more, Belfast winning would make sense because it has elements that both American and international voters like.

They don’t even mention it as the movie that missed the top 10 lmao. Anyway, I think they most probably omitted by mistake since the article does look kind of messy. It’s the only thing that makes sense with Campion being number one in Director.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog also wasn’t top 10 according to that survey, which is strange because Campion was the highest vote getter in Director.

I think it was 3rd, because WSS was second. Just guessing. I mean we know TPOTD is top tier contender anyways.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

They don’t even mention it as the movie that missed the top 10 lmao. It’s like it doesn’t exist.

Anyway, I think they most probably omitted by mistake since the article does look kind of messy. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

Yes, I think it’s just an article typo. If not, that’s a huge omittance. I do feel strongly about Belfast winning, though, esp. after reading that article. It seems to be this year’s middle ground film that everyone can agree on…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I would’ve taken the wrap’s poll a bit more seriously if it didn’t have TPOTDG missing lmao… Even if it’s a small sample, 300 feels like something large enough to be at least a little bit representative and TPOTDG missing makes no sense. So I’m sensing something fishy here.

Yeah not buying this. WSS missing and flopping at all the precursors but it’s second here lol. Even with an American contingent something doesn’t add up.  We’ll laugh about it tomorrow.

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

Awards-daily Final Best Picture Prediction line-up

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Lol, trash poll. Based on data it makes no sense. Also trash poll in other categories. Ignore it, things will look much different tomorrow.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

I think it was 3rd, because WSS was second. Just guessing. I mean we know TPOTD is top tier contender anyways.

That makes the most sense, they just forgot to list it.

Profile picture
    Ivan Ranjit
    Topics:

I’ve added House of Gucci to my top 10 predictions. Only because I feel so many people watched it (and enjoyed it) and divisive is a good thing as the people who liked it will vote as it’s memorable. I think BTR is making to 10 too. Be prepared for shock omissions.

Profile picture
    alouise86
    Topics:

Final predictions:

The Power of the Dog

Belfast

Licorice Pizza

West Side Story

Dune

King Richard

CODA

Tick, Tick… BOOM

Being the Ricardos

Drive My Car

Alt: Nightmare Alley or House of Gucci

Profile picture
    pierremg
    Topics:

We know Academy members always had a hard time voting for BP. Although in the previous years they could nominate 10 movies, it was always 8 or 9. That’s why I think the last spot belongs to a movie that is somehow popular and accessible. Drive My Car isn’t that movie.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Vulture: Which movie will be this year’s Oscars’ villain?:
    https://www.vulture.com/2022/02/oscars-2022-which-movie-is-this-years-oscar-villain.html

1. Being The Ricardos:
    “He could not have created a more perfect illustration of the philosophical emptiness of MSNBC liberalism if he tried. This has not been a problem for Guild voters, who have lavished the Amazon project with nominations, and made Nicole Kidman the Best Actress front-runner. If the film sneaks into Best Picture, it will do the impossible—uniting in anger art-house fans, the anti-streaming contingent, and those who want the Oscars to reflect mainstream taste. Everyone getting up in arms about the Academy nominating a mediocre showbiz biopic? Perhaps things are back to normal after all.”

2. Don’t Look Up:
    “Since reinventing himself as a smarty-pants satirist, Adam McKay tends to get on critics’ nerves, and co-writer David Sirota didn’t do the film any favors when he spent the holidays declaring that anyone who gave Don’t Look Up a negative review was complicit in the destruction of the planet. ”

3. Licorice Pizza:
    “Yes, it’s a lighthearted romance between a 15-year-old boy and a 20-something woman, but the age-gap hubbub always felt a little obligatory, and anyway it seems to have worn itself out.”

4. West Side Story:
    “West Side Story’s release was greeted by think pieces calling its source material irredeemably racist and those creative changes “pandering.” Add in the sexual-assault allegations against star Ansel Elgort, a sizable mental hurdle for the enlightened film fan, and you can understand why despite a diverse cast and glowing reviews the musical has had a hard time positioning itself as the progressive choice in the race.”

5. Belfast:
    “Alternative Ulster? No thank you: Kenneth Branagh’s black-and-white autobiographical drama is the mainstream, accessible, somewhat basic choice in the race. It is both accurate, and a slight roast, to say Belfast is a movie your grandparents will love. Some internet commentators have compared his centering of Northern Irish Protestants to making a Holocaust movie about the hardships of German civilians. None of these quibbles have coalesced into a sustained critique, though — maybe because the film’s audience remains small or maybe because the 90-minute charmer is simply too modest to hate.”

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

Ambitious Gold-Derby users dreaming of hitting 90% accuracy on 23 Oscars nominations prediction, when we all know the documentary and the live-action will mess up our scores. 😭

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)’ is closed to new replies.