Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 508 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
The Northman
Manav
  • Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

I liked Nightmare Alley, not Del Toros best, but great tech, production and stellar acting. I think it is what type of movies are in your alley. I found Licorice Pizza totally uninteresting for example.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I feel like we’re gonna get a snub a la Ma Rainey or One Night in Miami.

Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

I watched all potential nominees besides Licorice Pizza and West Side Story. Are there any online release dates for those two?

Profile picture
    bsignor
    Topics:

Licorice Pizza

I found Paul Thomas Andersen’s Licorice Pizza odd; it’s vibrant, for sure, with superb first-time actors Cooper Hoffman and Alaina Haim in the lead roles, but inconsequential—a canape compared to the lavish feast of his most memorable work: There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Phantom Thread. Ideally, I’m the perfect audience for this coming-of-age tale (I was born the same year as the 15-year-old protagonist; was a serious teen actor myself, and grew up in Southern California in the 70s) but while it left me entertained (it boasts a silly, attention-grabbing cameo by Bradley Cooper and a goofy truck-in-reverse sequence), I wasn’t stirred or impressed. Antic is the operative word here. There’s certainly truth to this trying on clothes, jobs, and poses vision of adolescence as a carnival funhouse, but what’s the film really trying to say? Kids (and aimless young adults) do the “darndest things”? The episodes don’t lead anywhere toward insight or epiphany—in terms of the kids’ inner lives. Anderson seems to be looking at adolescence from the outside. Is that because films and television shows that attempt to convey teenagers’ inner turmoil and floundering like Euphoria or the second season of American Crime—tend to frighten forgetful adult viewers? The film artfully dodges the ten-year age difference between its main characters, whisking us past the specter of “statutory rape.” Licorice Pizza has garnered a slew of Best Original Screenplay awards, and even Best Picture, but are critics and viewers really so eager to settle for a few crumbs from the master’s table?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I watched all potential nominees besides Licorice Pizza and West Side Story. Are there any online release dates for those two?

Both movies have are coming to Blue-ray on March 15th, but I guess the VOD versions will be earlier (we still have no date)

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

The episodes don’t lead anywhere toward insight or epiphany—in terms of the kids’ inner lives. 

I would argue that the truck scene and the scene with the gay couple do bring some pretty big moments of self-realization for Alana’s character.

But yeah, Licorice Pizza is very similar to Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood on its episodic / plotless nature. I personally prefer Pizza, more emotionally engaging for me.

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

Licorice Pizza I found Paul Thomas Andersen’s Licorice Pizza odd; it’s vibrant, for sure, with superb first-time actors Cooper Hoffman and Alaina Haim in the lead roles, but inconsequential—a canape compared to the lavish feast of his most memorable work: There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Phantom Thread. Ideally, I’m the perfect audience for this coming-of-age tale (I was born the same year as the 15-year-old protagonist; was a serious teen actor myself, and grew up in Southern California in the 70s) but while it left me entertained (it boasts a silly, attention-grabbing cameo by Bradley Cooper and a goofy truck-in-reverse sequence), I wasn’t stirred or impressed. Antic is the operative word here. There’s certainly truth to this trying on clothes, jobs, and poses vision of adolescence as a carnival funhouse, but what’s the film really trying to say? Kids (and aimless young adults) do the “darndest things”? The episodes don’t lead anywhere toward insight or epiphany—in terms of the kids’ inner lives. Anderson seems to be looking at adolescence from the outside. Is that because films and television shows that attempt to convey teenagers’ inner turmoil and floundering like Euphoria or the second season of American Crime—tend to frighten forgetful adult viewers? The film artfully dodges the ten-year age difference between its main characters, whisking us past the specter of “statutory rape.” Licorice Pizza has garnered a slew of Best Original Screenplay awards, and even Best Picture, but are critics and viewers really so eager to settle for a few crumbs from the master’s table?

It seems like a lot of people hate LP. Why did it get all these guild nominations when nobody seems to like it all that much.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

I feel like we’re gonna get a snub a la Ma Rainey or One Night in Miami.

king richard is the only that could be snubbed like this i think, acording to feinberg is going to be snubbed in original screenpay and suporting actress

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

btw feinberg likes a lot king richard but have the movie close to not being nominated in his prediction mm

Yeah, and he has the movie missing Original Screenplay of all places. It’s his favorite movie of the year. It’s weird, indeed.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

and he has CODA with 6 noms: picture, actress, suporting actress, suporting actor, adapted screenplay and original song

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

It seems like a lot of people hate LP. Why did it get all these guild nominations when nobody seems to like it all that much.

Because that’s not entirely true.

It has the second highest score of all the BP contenders on IMBd with a 7.9 (Dune being the best rated with a 8.1).
    It’s only kind of low on Rotten Tomatoes (67%), but with a significantly less amount of votes on that plataform.

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

I just put tick, tick… Boom! in my 10th slot for Best Picture, even though I don’t want to and don’t feel good about it.

I switched it off because I found it so unbearable but it got into PGA.

Although the Academy has diversified, its membership is still majority male and older. I don’t see them voting for it but maybe the Actors branch carries it to the Top 10.

Anyone else not predicting it?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I just put tick, tick… Boom! in my 10th slot for Best Picture, even though I don’t want to and don’t feel good about it. I switched it off because I found it so unbearable but it got into PGA. Although the Academy has diversified, its membership is still majority male and older. I don’t see them voting for it but maybe the Actors branch carries it to the Top 10. Anyone else not predicting it?

It’s tough. At one hand I think that movie definitely has its fans and people in general really like it. But the lack of support across the board is worrying. I mean, it’s not impossible, we had The Post (only Picture + Actress) and Selma (Picture + Song)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Dune is more “The Fellowship of the Ring” than “The Return of the King”.

It will perform like the former in the Oscars too.

Dune isn’t close to any Lord of the Rings film. The characters are much duller, the emotion isn’t nearly as strong, and the world building isn’t on the same level. It isn’t as revolutionary as LOTR either.

It’s not getting acting or screenplay, and it’s still prone to being snubbed in Director. At best it’s another Mad Max: Fury Road with the Oscars.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 28)’ is closed to new replies.