Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 514 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Richie Rich
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

So I guess we’ll see, I haven’t seen anything more reliable about it being delayed.

It’s not delayed, it’s never had a confirmed release date to be delayed from. In the podcast the guy says words to the effect of ‘we don’t have a release date yet, but I hope it will be around the holidays as they will want to do awards season’ but he didn’t know if it would be this year.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Being The Ricardos is 2022

Amazon tells us repeatedly that it will be 2021.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I am seriously considering if Being the Ricardos has a shot at a Best Picture nomination. The cast is already stacked with 3 Oscar winners and what I found interesting was that the cinematographer is a Fincher staple having worked on The Social Network, Gone Girl, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Probably doesn’t mean much but interesting nonetheless. But most notably this film will be released in the holidays and will be Amazon’s biggest push most likely after Annette turned out to be divisive (to the surprise of no one). It’s possible the acting branch’s adoration for Sorkin can push the film to a Best Picture nomination.

It’s true this could be just another Molly’s Game flop at the Oscars but the material in Being The Ricardos is much more Academy friendly; it is about television production and Lucille Ball after all. And the pedigree of the cast cannot be ignored. For the time being I’ve slotted the film in my tenth slot.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s true this could be just another Molly’s Game flop at the Oscars but the material in Being The Ricardos is much more Academy friendly; it is about television production and Lucille Ball after all. And the pedigree of the cast cannot be ignored. For the time being I’ve slotted the film in my tenth slot.

Ehhhhh. I dunno. If it comes out it’ll be a very late breaker & if it’s thoroughly mediocre, it’ll just pass people by because of the lack of months-long buzz. As soon as the fall festivals are underway, other films will take the buzz and not let go.

Nightmare Alley too, as well as (probably) Soggy Bottom & Don’t Look Up since none will be seen at the festivals that we know of and will have very late releases. The Tragedy of Macbeth is probably also late, release date-wise and The Power of the Dog is releasing in December too. All have pedigree :/ Feels like there’s an over saturation at the last moment tbh, which makes it harder for any late-breaker.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I am seriously considering if Being the Ricardos has a shot at a Best Picture nomination. The cast is already stacked with 3 Oscar winners and what I found interesting was that the cinematographer is a Fincher staple having worked on The Social Network, Gone Girl, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Probably doesn’t mean much but interesting nonetheless. But most notably this film will be released in the holidays and will be Amazon’s biggest push most likely after Annette turned out to be divisive (to the surprise of no one). It’s possible the acting branch’s adoration for Sorkin can push the film to a Best Picture nomination. It’s true this could be just another Molly’s Game flop at the Oscars but the material in Being The Ricardos is much more Academy friendly; it is about television production and Lucille Ball after all. And the pedigree of the cast cannot be ignored. For the time being I’ve slotted the film in my tenth slot.

I think imma just go ahead and put it on and grab those odds cause I agree with everything you just said.

Do we know if Javier Bardem will be Lead or Supporting?

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

J.K. Simmons will probably be the closest thing to Oscar Being the Ricardos sees. His casting is spot on.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos will have acting nominations but that’s it. The Flop of Chicago 7 got nominations last year only because of weak competition. Sorkin won’t have the same luck again.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

But most notably this film will be released in the holidays

Do we know yet when Being the Ricardos is being released? (I may well have missed it but I thought that was still unclear.)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos will have acting nominations but that’s it. The Flop of Chicago 7 got nominations last year only because of weak competition. Sorkin won’t have the same luck again.

I like your profile picture!

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I think Bardem will shift to Supporting if he wants to have any chance of being nominated.

The competition in Lead Actor is way too packed already.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Do we know yet when Being the Ricardos is being released? (I may well have missed it but I thought that was still unclear.)

Beachum says that Amazon has informed the GD staff it will be this year

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Beachum says that Amazon has informed the GD staff it will be this year

Thanks. I definitely trust Chris and am sure that is what Amazon has told GD, but I’ll have more confidence when a release date is actually announced. This is inconsistent with what producer Lucie Arnez had previously said (although her comment was about 6 weeks ago) and it may be that Amazon is pushing hard to get it for this year because it is short of other strong contenders in some key categories.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Some interesting info on the writing for The Last Duel: Tamara Jenkins (The Savages and Private Life) was considered as a co-writer before Nicole Holofcener joined the film. Damon revealed this on Marc Maron’s podcast. Damon suggested Jenkins, but Affleck pushed for Holofcener. Not surprised he pushed for her. Holofcener and Affleck have been friends for years, and she told The Playlist last year that he asked her to co-write the film with them. It’s not clear whether Jenkins was approached first and passed. Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/ClooneyDisciple/status/1419738191872004097

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

This movie is the one I’m seriously keeping my eye on. Feeling it could be the one that flies under the radar before the festivals where it emerges as a major contender.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.