Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Richie Rich
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The French Dispatch can still easily get in.

Yeah I have it getting in, I don’t know if that’s consensus opinion, but we’re certainly not talking about it very much so I presume that post was about the predictions center.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I think In the Heights is definitely overrated and it is Oscar chances are dead. But I don’t know how you can say that West Side Story is over hyped given Steven Spielberg’s track record and the awards triumph of the previous adaptation. I also don’t see House of Gucci being that much of an Oscar contender, I doubt it will even be as good as All The Money in the World a movie that barely got any awards love. Gucci will definitely be achieve mainstream popularity but I don’t think it will be enough to get it major nominations because at this point I’m only seeing Makeup and maybe Actress and Actor. I don’t think Soggy Bottom and French Dispatch are overestimated. But I think The Power of the Dog is definitely wayyyyyy overhyped. Jane Campion has a weak track record to put it kindly as the only awards darling she has ever had was The Piano ages ago. Plus the story doesn’t scream Oscar bait even though it has the potential to be a captivating thriller, I don’t see Campion pulling it off. If Fincher or even Scorsese were directing it, it would have had a better chance of getting nominated. But I can see why people think it has a chance with Netflix distributing and it playing at various fall festivals and I would be a fool to say it has absolutely no chance but I honestly think that the only contenders Netflix has this year are Don’t Look Up and The Hand of God (if it can break into the major categories outside of foreign language film).

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I don’t think Last Night in Soho is going to get a single nomination. It will likely be critically acclaimed and successful at the box office and I love Edgar Wright but he is just not an oscars director. And nothing about the plot or the trailer screamed oscars to me. And there are a host of better contenders in every category it looks to compete in. Sorry but it is just not happening. And I’m confident it isn’t happening.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

It’s going to 2022. I imagine it has to do with trying to get Armie Hammer out of the movie somehow (reshoots, editing the movie down, etc)

Are you sure about this? And has it been officially decided that it is moving to 2022 because I currently have it on my 2022 predictions and want to know if I should move it to my 2023 predictions. Lol

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I don’t think Last Night in Soho is going to get a single nomination. It will likely be critically acclaimed and successful at the box office and I love Edgar Wright but he is just not an oscars director. And nothing about the plot or the trailer screamed oscars to me. And there are a host of better contenders in every category it looks to compete in. Sorry but it is just not happening. And I’m confident it isn’t happening.

I’m sorry but “this doesn’t look like an Oscar film” or “this director doesn’t make Oscar contenders” are not good arguments. In fact I would argue the latter argument helps him because in nearly every year we see directors who have put in the work for many years and who will finally peak with the right movie. Few examples. In the last 10 years this has happened with Darren Aronofsky, Wes Anderson, Guillermo Del Toro, Bong Joon Ho and Taika Waititi. Edgar Wright’s trajectory is very similar to Bong and Taika’s in particular. The guy is so clearly beloved by his peers that he is ABSOLUTELY getting nominated at some point and this movie where he leaves his comfort zone seems to be right one for that to happen.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Are you sure about this? And has it been officially decided that it is moving to 2022 because I currently have it on my 2022 predictions and want to know if I should move it to my 2023 predictions. Lol

I am sure about this and I’m pretty sure Clayton Davis confirmed it as well

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

I don’t think Last Night in Soho is going to get a single nomination.

Let’s be real: some are only predicting Soho because they stan the two lead actresses involved. But personally, it looks like a good movie. Wright is also a great director & Baby Driver was terrific.

Profile picture
    rustooo9
    Topics:

I don’t think Last Night in Soho is going to get a single nomination. 

I doubt Soho a lot but cinematography and costumes don’t look out of reach.

Profile picture
    rustooo9
    Topics:

Ok, who on earth is putting ITH above The Humans?

The Humans is 15th and ITH is 12th on the predictions center.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Let’s be real: some are only predicting Soho because they stan the two lead actresses involved. But personally, it looks like a good movie. Wright is also a great director & Baby Driver was terrific.

Im one of those stans (I stan both McKenzie and Anya) and i have no shame about it lmao.

The this doesnt look like Oscar thing argument is dated at this point.

Here is a Last Night In Soho Theory/Argument i came up as a way to express why i am predicting it for multiple categories and why i’d argued it deserves to be as successful as it should be. Based on Oscar Prediction videos i have watched and what has been going on in our everyday world, i have come up with a theory in regards to the themes that can be explored throughout and how it can lead to the film becoming not only a crowdpleaser, but one that i think will become much more thematically refined than people are claiming, which could also lead to it having higher chances at more nominations at the Oscars next year than just the technical categories. First of all, let’s observe the film’s basic premise: “Eloise (Thomasin McKenzie), who is a young fashion student who is obsessed with all things 60s as well as harboring a strange Sixth Sense, is able to mysteriously enter London in the aforementioned era. Along the way, she encounters and is able to form a connection across time with her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer named Sandy (Anya Taylor-Joy). As their connection grows stronger, Eloise realizes that 1960s London is not what she imagined it to be as everything begins to fall apart in the most surreal way possible with shady consequences.” First off, let’s take some quotes from this brief plot description: “Eloise, who is a young fashion student who is obsessed with all things 60s as well as harboring a strange Sixth Sense“ “Along with the way, she encounters and is able to form a connection across time with her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer named Sandy” “As their connection grows stronger, Eloise realizes that 1960s London is now what she imagined it to be as everything begins to fall apart” Notices how each of these quotes has a potential recurring theme that is hopefully explored often in the film: Envy. Why do you wish for someone like me to have this film explore said theme? Well, i do think there is something to keep in mind. We live in an age where a lot of people tend to idolize celebrities, regardless of how much of a terrible person they could probably be, even to this day. An example would be how there could still be people out there who look up to actors such as Armie Hammer, Kevin Spacey, and Ansel Elgort despite the fact that they have been exposed for their hauntingly disgusting actions lately. Idolizing people of this particular caliber can lead to a feeling of envy, which means either they spend most of their (or even entire) life wanting to be like them or going as far as to change up their entire livelihood to do so. I do not think that it is a good idea to idolize people, especially celebrities, regardless of how good or bad they are as a person because it can lead you down a path of regret towards the actions you have just performed, dissatisfaction towards what you have become, and lifelong consequences (particularly the demise of your strong connection towards your friends and family) that could have a bigger effect on you throughout your life than you think if not taken cared of immediately. Because of all i just mentioned, i think this film has the potential to not only explore themes of envy (and MAYBE jealousy if possible) in a way that feels unique, entertaining, and eye-opening for the audience (especially through its use of the “duality of two characters” element), but also to feel more timely than ever in the message it is trying to convey to its audience, especially given the generation we currently reside in. Since the Academy tends to lean towards films that have something timely to say (Politics, Religion, Race, etc.), i think this film will be a much bigger hit for them this award season than they, along with people predicting its Oscar chances, might think. Thanks to all i have mentioned (along with it being a crowd-pleasing award contender in the same vein as films like Joker and Black Panther), i currently have it in the following big categories. I also provide my ways they could/will tie into the film’s story and themes: Best Picture (for coming up with a concept that feels both unique and timely) Best Supporting Actress (for playing a n interesting character that supports the film’s story and themes authentically) Best Original Screenplay (for potentially feeling surprisingly more thematically refined than most will make it out to be) It could also be squeezed into these next categories if the film is as big of a hit both critically (both critics and audiences) and financially as it most likely will be: Best Director (for presenting the story and exploring the themes through Edgar Wright’s vision, which will pay off immensely more often than not) Best Actress (for playing another intriguing character that connects with the story and its themes) Meanwhile, i have it in the next following categories since it looks to be a huge player in each of them. I will also provide my ways as to how they could/will tie into the story and themes of the film: Best Production Design (The set design will be used to support the film’s themes and to distinguish between both the modern world that Eloise is ashamed to be living in and the 1960s version of London she is mysteriously transported to that she begins to fall in love with. The sets could also be a way to convey what is occurring within the story through the use of visual cues, clues used for any potential mystery that pops up within its storytelling, etc.) Best Cinematography (to compliment the overall tone/mood/setting of the film while expertly dispatching the feelings of envy, jealousy, and fear that will be expressed by the characters and explored throughout the story through the use of its colorful lighting and style of camerawork) Best Film Editing (to add to the film’s mood and tone along with providing a way to have the film explore its themes in a way that feels coherent, timely, and concrete) Best Makeup and Hairstyling (to convey an idea within the story, particularly to establish the connection between Eloise and Sandy & how Eloise’s connection starts to affect her from a characterization perspective that adds to the film’s exploration of envy) Best Costume Design (to tie into the characterizations of Eloise & Sandy and how different they are before they start their connection. The costume design will also be used to support the film’s themes and to distinguish between both the modern world that Eloise is ashamed to be living in and the 1960s version of London she is mysteriously transported to that she begins to fall in love with) Best Sound (to tie into the film’s characterizations for both Eloise and Sandy along with how they contrast with one another as characters/individuals. This will also be used to coincide with the film’s mood, setting, and tone)

Holy shit i didnt even going to think that way. I know that TIFF director said that it tackles serious subject matter, but i thought it was something like Mental Health given Eloise is depicted as Misfit and Detached from her present life.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oscar contender or not, I can’t wait for Last Night in Soho. Wright should have two screenplay nominations already.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Oscar contender or not, I can’t wait for Last Night in Soho. Wright should have two screenplay nominations already.

for…. Baby Driver?? Hot Fuzz? Lmao

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Jordan Ruimy (World of Reel) spoke with someone who saw The Tragedy of MacBeth

It’s a beautifully morose and kooky film. The black & white from Bruno is stunning and the whole thing plays like a German expressionist version of Shakespeare’s play. Most of the dialogue sticks to the Bard’s words, so there is only so much room to manoeuvre here, at least in terms of Coen’s ability to reinterpret the play. Oddly enough, I do not like Robert Eggers or The Lighthouse but that’s the most similar movie I can think of that matches the tone in “The Tragedy of Macbeth”

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

The more i think about it..

If whoever that guy write about Soho turns out to be true (In the trailer McKenzie’s character is slowly changing herself to look like Anya’s, so its possible) it will debunk the notion that it doesnt have the social commentary like Get Out that would convince the Academy to give it some recognition.
    It also could turns out like Black Swan which explores obsession.

that being said, Oscar thing or not im excited about Soho

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.