Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 33)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 33)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 489 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Babylonian
film123
TrumpBiden
  • Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

If TPOTD wins over CODA, I honestly think it’ll largely be because of international voters (AMPAS are 25% more international than SAG and PGA) since it seems like Americans are still stuck on crowdpleasers in 2022

I agree, it all comes down to whether the international voters and tech branches can make the difference.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Spotlight didn’t win any acting awards, despite being nominated for a few; neither did The Shape of Water.

Spotlight doesn’t have baity performances and it was the underdog. The Shape of Water is a fantasy movie. Those don’t win acting awards. Even Lord of The Rings couldn’t pull off any acting wins and it won a million Oscars.

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Also I thought Brayfers made an interesting point about best picture winners typically having acting and/or writing wins. Breakdown of best picture winner’s performances there this century:

Acting & writing wins:
    Green Book (2018)
    Moonlight (2016)
    12 Years A Slave (2013)
    The King’s Speech (2010)
    No Country For Old Men (2007)
    A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Just acting wins:
    Nomadland (2020)
    The Artist (2011)
    Million Dollar Baby (2004)
    Chicago (2002)
    Gladiator (2000)

Just writing wins:
    Parasite (2019)
    Spotlight (2015)
    Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)
    Argo (2012)
    The Hurt Locker (2009)
    Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
    The Departed (2006)
    Crash (2005)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Neither acting nor writing wins:
    The Shape Of Water (2017)

TPOTD stands no chance at getting an acting win since supporting actress, supporting actor and leading actor are all basically locked. So at the very least, adapted screenplay will be an important category.

Emmy Actings FYCs:
    Comedy: Bill Hader & Quinta Brunson
    Drama: Jeremy Strong & Britt Lower
    Limited: Couldn't care less

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I wonder if Dune can surprise at WGA considering WGA gave it to Inception and Arrival in the past.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Yes, TPOTD has to win screenplay. If it doesn’t I don’t see how it wins best picture.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

I see no evidence that international and tech voters will automatically bloc vote for dog over coda.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I think Netflix keeps making the same mistake over and over again. They keep pushing these critically driven, auteur films that don’t play well on streaming services as their picks for Best Picture. If they made a movie like The Silence of the Lambs they might stand a chance, but their movies are all about the craft and the campaigns focus so much on the director, as opposed to why the film overall is a great film. If TPOTD was released by Searchlight I think it would probably be more of an underdog, and might’ve still ended up winning Best Director.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yes, TPOTD has to win screenplay. If it doesn’t I don’t see how it wins best picture.

Yes, and through no fault of her own, Campion will have to take a pause as the industry sees Sian Heder take the WGA prize and get more speech time today in the midst of the Ampas voting period. Advantage – CODA.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

So everyime a crowd pleaser wins best picture gold derby and film twitter is jus gonna shit on the movie that directors producers actors screenwriter editors and cinematographer all put there work into because its not artsy like TPOTD or Roma. What a sad fucking time to be a movie lover. Like if the people and Oscar voters like Coda what you guys call a lifetime hallmark movie then that’s what they like go cry.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

As if it’s easy to make a movie like The Silence of the Lambs. That was the MASTERPIECE. Still waiting for something coming close to it after all these years. Meanwhile Apple is winning with CODA 😭 🤣

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I see no evidence that international and tech voters will automatically bloc vote for dog over coda.

I’m not buying it. Especially because BAFTA was supposed to reject Will Smith and CODA.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

I mean, it could win Screenplay and still lose Best Picture.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Yes, and through no fault of her own, Campion will have to see

Sian Heder take the WGA prize and get more speech time today in the midst of the Ampas

voting period. Advantage – CODA.

Well, it’s not entirely through “no fault for of her own.” Jane Campion used to be a member of the WGA and won the WGA award for Best Original Screenplay in 1993 for The Piano. Had she kept up or renewed her membership in the organization, I see no reason why she wouldn’t have been nominated this year, and perhaps won over Sian Heder.

Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

I’m not buying it. Especially because BAFTA was supposed to reject Will Smith and CODA.

I mean BAFTA’s gave TPOTD their highest honor and didn’t even nominate CODA for Best Film so..

Renaissance for AOTY

Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers for BRA

Succession for Best Drama Series

Everything Everywhere All At Once and Michelle Yeoh for Best Picture and Best Actress

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

I mean, it could win Screenplay and still lose Best Picture.

I don’t see this as a possibility. Winning Screenplay AND Director but not picture? If CODA is winning Picture, it has to take Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay with it.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 33)’ is closed to new replies.