Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 498 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I think that Dune will start gaining a lot more power as the season continues. It looks like it’s such an amazing cinematic experience that when it hits theaters audiences will hype it enough for BP and director nominations

Not necessarily. It needs general audiences, not just fans, and it’s a lot to ask a casual viewer to get invested in a complex story that may or may not ever get finished.

Profile picture
    Mstyler
    Topics:

Based on the content of reactions/reviews rather than the overall RT score, my view:

In:
    The Power of The Dog
    Belfast
    King Richard

Not so sure:
    Dune
    Parallel Mothers Spencer
    The Lost Daughter C’mon c’mon

Out:
    The French Dispatch The Hand of God
    The Card Counter (yes, I know it’s 100% on RT now)
    Cyrano

That’s pretty much what’s going on now. “Spencer” seems to belong to the “out” field now.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

It’s worth nothing that 3 out of the 4 “rotten” reviews for Spencer in RT come from british critics so it could definitely be more divisive as a film there than in America. If they want to have a chance besides Stewart, they need to keep an eye on the British block and try to campaign their ass off there.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m starting to feel The French Dispatch will be this year’s Da 5 Bloods.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

1. The Hand of God – 8.7/10

But why a 76 on Metacritic? This discrepancy is bewildering.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I’m starting to feel The French Dispatch will be this year’s Da 5 Bloods.

I somewhat doubt it will even be that aside for maybe a CC Picture nomination.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Umm… 🙁

“Sad to report that LAST NIGHT IN SOHO was not for me. Anya Taylor Joy completely understands the assignment though —what a star. She thrills every time.”

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Umm… https://twitter.com/nathanielr/status/1434214817578029060?s=19

Not every movie is gonna be for everyone, still praising Anya makes me think she might get the nod.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’ve read negative reviews of The French Dispatch saying it’s not funny at all and tries too hard with the humor but it fails to land for some audience members. The story and character just doesn’t stick with people while the craftmanship is the salient component of the film.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

But why a 76 on Metacritic? This discrepancy is bewildering.

Really small sample sizes tend to produce nonsensical results. Let’s just wait for everything to clear up with more reviews on RT and MC.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I don’t disagree with the notion that Spencer could go nowhere except for Stewart. But her hype could push the movie to a BP nom, considering we have 10 slots and the voters will struggle to find 10 movies.

It’s been really hard to win lead acting categories without a BP nomination. In Actress, Streep, Blanchett, Moore and Zellweger did it. In Actor it seems to be almost impossible. Oldman pushed Darkest Hour to a nomination. Sandra Bullock also did the same with The Blind Side.

This is a reason why I still don’t have her #1.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It’s really hard to win lead acting categories without a BP nomination. In Actress, Streep, Blanchett, Moore and Zellweger did it.

Actresses playing real life figures don’t need their film to be nominated in Best Picture to win. It would help but it is not necessary. Zellweger, Streep, Cotillard, Witherspoon, Theron all played real life people and their films were not nominated in Best Picture and still won.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Early reactions are useless for pretty much every film. I value the word of critics just as much as a friend who knows exactly what my film tastes are bit at the end of the day the former group is the one that’s going to be contributing to these film’s Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Not every movie is gonna be for everyone, still praising Anya makes me think she might get the nod.

He’s one of the critics I trust and usually agree with. That’s why it’s not a good news about Soho for me. I’ll wait for the embargo to get a clearer consensus.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Anya getting a nod but probably the Saturn awards.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.