Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 498 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I don’t disagree with the notion that Spencer could go nowhere except for Stewart. But her hype could push the movie to a BP nom, considering we have 10 slots and the voters will struggle to find 10 movies. It’s been really hard to win lead acting categories without a BP nomination. In Actress, Streep, Blanchett, Moore and Zellweger did it. In Actor it seems to be almost impossible. Oldman pushed Darkest Hour to a nomination. Sandra Bullock also did the same with The Blind Side. This is a reason why I still don’t have her #1.

I think it just comes down to competition. The actresses who won with no BP nom except Meryl didn’t have any competition. If Spencer doesn’t get BP, then Kristen will have to have no competition. If she’s in competition with someone in a BP nominee then it’s probably game over for her.

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cyrano opens on Rotten Tomatoes with 83% and an average of 5.5/10.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

That’s an incredibly low av. rating for that score. I wonder where it’ll go from here, but I do know it’s not well liked in Letterboxd.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

It seemed obvious from the early reactions that most of the praise it was getting was for Dinklage alone and they were just being kind to the movie as an extension. That is why I wanted to wait for the reviews before I considered Dinklage for the nomination.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Why is the review embargo for Soho taking so long? I don’t think I’ve waited this long to hear about any of the films at Venice this year. Are they trying to hide the reviews? Idg

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

(About Cyrano) Well, the review from the writer of The Playlist should be “rotten”. I mean with a B-/C+ grade and that review…

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I think it just comes down to competition. The actresses who won with no BP nom except Meryl didn’t have any competition. If Spencer doesn’t get BP, then Kristen will have to have no competition. If she’s in competition with someone in a BP nominee then it’s probably game over for her.

I don’t see why people doubt Spencer when so far it has the highest metascore of all serious Oscar contenders and all reviews are raving not only about Spencer, but also about directing, costumes and cinematography.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Why is the review embargo for Soho taking so long? I don’t think I’ve waited this long to hear about any of the films at Venice this year. Are they trying to hide the reviews? Idg

Spoilers

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I don’t see why people doubt Spencer when so far it has the highest metascore of all serious Oscar contenders and all reviews are raving not only about Spencer, but also about directing, costumes and cinematography.

It’s just 6 reviews on MC, 17 on RT.

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Dune praise not as strong as I would have hoped for. Can still get into picture but the sentiment that it is incomplete and also comparisons to 2049 mean it will probably divide some folks and hurt it’s chances at winning best picture. I saw a lot of people predicting that lately, and I was starting to buy into it. I’m still hopeful and will keep it in for the nomination.

Belfast looks great. It is probably my most anticipated after reading some of the reactions and seeing that trailer. Obviously too early to say anything but if it’s in the winning conversation (or a top 3 contender generally) I wonder if Braunaugh could sneak into Director. Lots of hurdles to overcome though, him being an actor and having directed some famously bad movies.

King Richard charming even the critics has me thinking we’re underestimating it in Best Picture. Actor + Screenplay is what it would need.

I’ve adjusted my predictions accordingly.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I wonder if Braunaugh could sneak into Director. Lots of hurdles to overcome though, him being an actor and having directed some famously bad movies. 

I think he’ll be okay on these counts. He’s a long-established Director nominated for Best Director before, and Todd Phillips directed The Hangover Part III.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

When you wrote this it has yet to reach 12 hours.. Few minutes to go..

and If you dont bother there are few reactions you can find on twitter/letterboxd, if reactions is what you’re looking for

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I keep missing out on 100/1 odds on Belfast so I’ve literally gone and slotted Ciaran Hinds in out of panic lol.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

LAST NIGHT IN SOHO is a wild ride that starts out fun and turns increasingly darker. The Giallo-inspired cinematography, great soundtrack and breahtaking performances by Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy kept me engaged, though the plot sometimes didn’t. #Venezia78

‘Last Night In Soho’ Venice review: “This is Edgar Wright’s most female-led film to date, and the stronger for it”

https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/last-night-in-soho-venice-review/5163000.article

Edgar Wright’s 1960s Fever Dream Last Night in Soho Is a Half-Brilliant Thriller

https://time.com/6095382/last-night-in-soho-review/

Yet Wright’s film feels itself part-gentrified, dressing up cheap genre thrills in a distanced, dignifying gauze of nostalgia, and all the less fun for it.

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/last-night-in-soho-review-1235056373/

FYC:

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Soho isn’t happening.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.