Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 519 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

Cry Macho has not been mentioned at all as a candidate for any award and I doubt very much that this will be the case. I think it’s definitely Clint’s farewell to filmmaking and I think it’s going to be a really beautiful film. Thematically it reminds me his 1993 film A Perfect World. Dwight Yoakam and Clint are sure to have composed a Great soundtrack

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

BTW: The best films I’ve seen so far, except TPOTD, are foreign films. Titane & Petite Maman! — SO good!!!

Also I REALLY want to watch Happening (the Golden Lion winner). Honestly it sounds so good that if it were in the conversation or made it in I’d hitch my ride to that wagon instead of TPOTD. It sounds so bloody good!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I can’t get a ticket for The Humans for some gosh darn reason and it’s REALLY bumming me out 😭

Oh no😭😭I heard it’s one of people’s favorites at TIFF I do wish you luck since it looks so fun.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

No it’s totally fine. I know my perspective is mine, and it’s not shared by everyone. I just think that “apolitical” + cloying + emotionally manipulative can be a pretty good reason to not like a film. Primarily because “apolitical” is actually always still political: it’s kind of a liberal shtick tbh, where you put this gloss over a story’s backdrop and you romanticize it — it’s a stance of…apathy almost, for the actual, lived, mercurial, and earnest politics of the time in favor of something……”civil”. That emphasis on civility…can be seen as harmful and erasing or romanticizing history depending on the person’s politics. I definitely did see it like that.

I did see Belfast actually lol. Earlier today. I just didn’t bother saying anything more because….. why keep repeating myself. I really didn’t like it, but I was also pretty bored!

I should say: I thought Balfe & Dornan were great though, but like “great but in a whole different film” kinda way. If I pretend the film isn’t a personal film about Branagh’s family, they kind of came off like very charming classic Humphrey Bogart, Greta Garbo types, and it was charming, but the spell doesn’t last long because……you know you’re not actually watching a classic Hollywood musical from the 1930s, but apparently real people’s stories. And by that second standard, hooooo boy. I can’t really blame actors for being in a film I don’t like so…

The kid was good! Charming kid, reminds me a bit of Jaeden Martell and Alan Kim. Adorable and a pretty good child actor!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! I get what you mean, that stuff can annoy me depending on how it’s done, and I still have no idea whether or not Belfast will work for me or leave me cringing. I hope I’m clear though, I’m not trying to tell people that they can’t talk about not liking a film, it’s really just the people who seem to only post when they want to insult that film and have nothing else to offer to the conversation (which there are very few of in this thread to be fair).

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Oh no😭😭I heard it’s one of people’s favorites at TIFF I do wish you luck since it looks so fun.

Eh. I think the digital screenings are over, but I tried my best and anyway I’m all movied-out right now lol. I’ll wait for it to come out :).svg” class=”emoji”

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! I get what you mean, that stuff can annoy me depending on how it’s done, and I still have no idea whether or not Belfast will work for me or leave me cringing. I hope I’m clear though, I’m not trying to tell people that they can’t talk about not liking a film, it’s really just the people who seem to only post when they want to insult that film and have nothing else to offer to the conversation (which there are very few of in this thread to be fair).

Oh no, not at all, I really appreciated the chance to explain myself and your openness. 😊

FYC:

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Cry Macho has not been mentioned at all as a candidate for any award and I doubt very much that this will be the case.

No it very much is the case since the film is being dumped in September and is releasing in 3 days with zero buzz. What makes matters worse is that Eastwood is bringing back the screenwriter of The Mule into Cry Macho. Eastwood has passed his prime.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

BTW: The best films I’ve seen so far, except TPOTD, are foreign films. Titane & Petite Maman! — SO good!!! Also I REALLY want to watch Happening (the Golden Lion winner). Honestly it sounds so good that if it were in the conversation or made it in I’d hitch my ride to that wagon instead of TPOTD. It sounds so bloody good!

I’m soooo excited to finally see Titane. I’ve successfully kept myself in the dark outside of the trailer and I can’t wait to see what the hell is going on in that film.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

KSM is tubthumping for that TIFF People’s Choice Award!

@kodismitmcphee The Power of the Dog is up for the Audience Award at TIFF! Any votes would be greatly appreciated

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog has gone up to 93% on RT (8.60 average score).

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

No it’s totally fine. I know my perspective is mine, and it’s not shared by everyone. I just think that “apolitical” + cloying + emotionally manipulative can be a pretty good reason to not like a film. Primarily because “apolitical” is actually always still political: it’s kind of a liberal shtick tbh, where you put this gloss over a story’s backdrop and you romanticize it — it’s a stance of…apathy almost, for the actual, lived, mercurial, and earnest politics of the time in favor of something……”civil”. That emphasis on civility…can be seen as harmful and erasing or romanticizing history depending on the person’s politics. I definitely did see it like that. I did see Belfast actually lol. Earlier today. I just didn’t bother saying anything more because….. why keep repeating myself. I really didn’t like it, but I was also pretty bored! I should say: I thought Balfe & Dornan were great though, but like “great but in a whole different film” kinda way. If I pretend the film isn’t a personal film about Branagh’s family, they kind of came off like very charming classic Humphrey Bogart, Greta Garbo types, and it was charming, but the spell doesn’t last long because……you know you’re not actually watching a classic Hollywood musical from the 1930s, but apparently real people’s stories. And by that second standard, hooooo boy. I can’t really blame actors for being in a film I don’t like so… I liked Dornan more than Balfe (I’ve always liked Dornan though). Both very good (with what they’re given) and they ooze charisma, but Dornan was possibly the closest any character came to seeming very real. Please pardon my harshness here but……Balfe somehow manages to be good despite the fact that her role is a super cliched romanticized mother character written by a male writer (son) who doesn’t see her fully, and it made me feel bad for her. But it’s not HER fault, and I think she was very good! Put her in a better film and you have a freaking SUPERSTAR. The kid was good! Charming kid, reminds me a bit of Jaeden Martell and Alan Kim. Adorable and a pretty good child actor!

Do you think “Belfast” will be nominated in Original Screenplay or not? I remember that you said in another post that you consider the writing branch to be “writerly”, that’s why I’m asking. I haven’t seen “The French Dispatch” of course, but The New Yorker recreation is certainly more writerly (is that even a real word?).

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Do you think <i>Belfast</i> will be nominated in Original Screenplay or not? I remember that you said in another post that you consider the writing branch to be “writerly”, that’s why I’m asking. I haven’t seen “The French Dispatch” of course, but The New Yorker recreation is certainly more writerly (is that even a real word?).

If it’s a TOP 3 contender, then it will get nominated. 1917 doesn’t even have an screenplay and it got nominated.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

If it’s a TOP 3 contender, then it will get nominated. 1917 doesn’t even have an screenplay and it got nominated.

Lmao. I’m still not over The Farewell not getting a Best Original Screenplay nomination in favor of 1917.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Am I the only one dying to get a first look at Nightmare Alley and Licorice Pizza? Or to just hear something about those movies. It’s literally killing me.

I still feel Nightmare Alley should have premiered at Venice. I would have probably won the Golden Lion on it’s way to being the Joker of this season. And I feel like Licorice Pizza should have premiered at TIFF and would have easily made it into the top 3 for the People’s Choice Award on it’s way to being the Boogie Nights of this season.

I still can’t believe that both films have Bradley Cooper but don’t want to use him to promote the heck out of those movies. Even Timothee Chalamet who has no acting nomination prospects for this season has been to the moon and back promoting Dune and The French Dispatch.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Am I the only one dying to get a first look at Nightmare Alley and Licorice Pizza? Or to just hear something about those movies. It’s literally killing me. I still feel Nightmare Alley should have premiered at Venice. I would have probably won the Golden Lion on it’s way to being the Joker of this season. And I feel like Licorice Pizza should have premiered at TIFF and would have easily made it into the top 3 for the People’s Choice Award on it’s way to being the Boogie Nights of this season. I still can’t believe that both films have Bradley Cooper but don’t want to use him to promote the heck out of those movies. Even Timothee Chalamet who has no acting nomination prospects for this season has been to the moon and back promoting Dune and The French Dispatch.

Nightmare Alley already has first look (stills)?

Definetly not a trailer, though.

I believe Nightmare Alley wasnt ready at that time (as is Licorice Pizza). Besides, the last time PTA missed festival Phantom Thread gets into BP.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.