Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 519 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I’m not confident in it until its reception comes in. Spielberg can be very hit and miss.

Not sure if this will be much of a player. Is it going to get an AFI fest berth, a surprise screening at NYFF? We shall see.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Not sure if this will be much of a player. Is it going to get an AFI fest berth, a surprise screening at NYFF? We shall see.

Some were speculating that it could be pushed to next year. I don’t think that will happen but who knows…

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Hand of God and The Lost Daughter unquestionably got the biggest boosts here (TPOTD was assured for one of those 2 big prizes anyway — and then Happening happened lol).

Quickly: People have been so down on The Hand of God, but it just won a major prize & audiences acfually do love it! It’s rambunctious and sexy AND moving as hell lol. The Lost Daughter…..what can I say? The raves just never stopped coming. Funny thing about Happening and Parallel Mothers were that they were also both “challenging” re: motherhood so……… every year we realize that certain “challenging” things have become mainstream. So waddya do? 😀

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Jane CHAMPION is coming to collect her gold on March 27.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Jane CHAMPION is coming to collect her gold on March 27.

YEPPPPPPPP

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sorrentino can happen but surely if he gets a director nomination The Hand of God has to be the far and away frontrunner for international feature no? And with more raved (and just as buzzy) films like <i>The Worst Person in the World</i> and Parallel Mothers right there is that possible?

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I did think that people were too quick to write off The Hand of God completely.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do think that people were too quick to write off The Hand of God completely.

To be honest unless a film gets a Hillbilly Elegy/The Goldfinch type reception I think everything is written off too quickly when it under-performs certain expectations. Films can play differently with different crowds. Jojo Rabbit has a 58 on Metacritic yet it won the People’s Choice at TIFF and then won the adapted screenplay Oscar.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I hate the actor turned director bias the directors branch has. I would be quite high on Gyllenhaal being the newcomer director slot had it not been for bias.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Sorrentino can happen but surely if he gets a director nomination The Hand of God has to be the far and away frontrunner for international feature no? And with more raved (and just as buzzy) films like <i>The Worst Person in the World</i> and Parallel Mothers right there is that possible?

Director—Sorrentino’s got the wind in his sails now, right? I mean that’s the main thing I think. You’re right. Any one of those 3 are actually possible, it’s not like he’s got this on lock. But the strategy of sending it EVERYWHERE makes it visible + Netflix. Like, I can see it? But then, Cruz just made herself stronger too. So is Parallel Mothers liked enough for Almodovar to make it in, orrrr…is The Hand of God preferred? I guess that’s the question.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hate the actor turned director bias the directors branch has. I would be quite high on Gyllenhaal being the newcomer director slot had it not been for bias.

Yeah I think she’ll go the path of Bradley Cooper for <i>A Star is Born</i> (although she isn’t starring in her film…)

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

HATE the bias, but Rebecca Hall is also coming lol. I don’t see it as much as a fight between Hall & Gyllenhaal to possibly get a director nod. I think Hall just….has the edge there because Passing was raved so early on, and now it’s going to be revitalized at multiple fests, particularly NYFF. This is, ofc, if it does well there. But Adapted Screenplay! One of those will win that I think? Like I’ve said before, Adapted Screenplay is where great debut directors win, and sometimes they don’t even make it into BD (I think BP for The Lost Daughter is up, though…)

FYC:

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

To be honest unless a film gets a Hillbilly Elegy/The Goldfinch type reception I think everything is written off too quickly when it under-performs certain expectations. Films can play differently with different crowds. Jojo Rabbit has a 58 on Metacritic yet it won the People’s Choice at TIFF and then won the adapted screenplay Oscar.

Similar to Jojo, when you go to Letterboxd for example, there is A LOT of love for this film.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s so weird that The Hand of God seemingly suffered from reverse expectations. Critics expected the slowness and melancholy of Sorrentino’s previous films, but he swerved and showed rambunctious teenage life & sex & football lol (for the first half of the film at least), and they weren’t…..prepared? lol

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Similar to Jojo, when you go to Letterboxd for example, there is A LOT of love for this film.

Yeah. Granted this is mostly the Venice crowd I think? But that did mean something. When all the films, including things like Belfast and SoHo, landed on LB between 3.3 and 3.7, The Hand of God being a WEIRDLY HIGH outlier was like…..huh?!? So I kinda took that one thing as being perhaps an indicator of greater success than we were told. Also, it’s a 76 MC with not that many reviews, it was always respectable enough.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.