Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1437837083008135168?s=20 They look great and dark as expected. Please release the trailer ASAP.

Looks like a double digit nominee. Can’t wait !

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m loving the gritty atmosphere and neo-noir world of Nightmare Alley. It already looks better than The Shape of Water. Welcome back Del Toro.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I’m not going to do any of the clichés associated with the genre. I’m not going to do an artifact. I’m not going to do the Venetian blinds, and voiceover, and detectives walking with fedoras in wet streets.

[Del Toro] inverts some of the archetypes of classic film noir. Traditionally, the central character would be a stoic who is tempted by an alluring woman who uses sex appeal and a lack of scruples to manipulate and destroy. This time, Cooper is that enticing, dangerous character. “Thematically, I’m very interested in exploring the genre from a different point of view,” the director says with a chuckle. “Instead of a femme fatale, I have three very strong female figures and an homme fatale.”

I was secretly hoping for something like this! I love noirs, but all their tropes (the voiceover, the femme fatale, the McGuffin etc) are a bit tired after 80+ years of the genre. I can’t wait to see it!

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Be hyped as much as you want but aside from Blanchett, i don’t see noms for Cooper and Mara.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Well it seems people are getting an awful lot from some stills…again. I’ll wait for the reviews.

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1437837083008135168?s=20 They look great and dark as expected. Please release the trailer ASAP.

The Australian goddesses are coming!

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1437837083008135168?s=20

They look great and dark as expected. Please release the trailer ASAP.

Darn it! Just when I thought I could remove Nightmare Alley from my cinematography predictions. Sigh

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Be hyped as much as you want but aside from Blanchett, i don’t see noms for Cooper and Mara.

And your opinion is gospel? So that’s why we shouldn’t be hyped?

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Blanchett seems like a supporting character, I don’t see a nomination for her either

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Do you think “Belfast” will be nominated in Original Screenplay or not? I remember that you said in another post that you consider the writing branch to be “writerly”, that’s why I’m asking. I haven’t seen “The French Dispatch” of course, but The New Yorker recreation is certainly more writerly (is that even a real word?).

It is a word, but mmmmm yeah I think it can definitely be nominated, for a different reason. I think on the surface to be honest, even I might nominate Belfast because making a schmaltzy, apolitical film that I do not like may be a matter of principle for me—but making it work and successfully emotionally manipulating people (lol) is actually definitely an achievement that I often chalk up to the writing. Think of it as that best-selling novel that you don’t like but……you gotta admit that writer knows how to get people to buy their book! You know? Writers do tend to know that. BUT that also means I think Original Screenplay is more likely for Branagh than Directing.

It can miss, because Original Screenplay is definitely THAT category where the writer’s branch will go for daring screenplays, but often the problem is that there’s so many wonderful original screenplays every year (the writers will love things like Titane e.g.!), there is a failure to coalesce around FIVE meaning one like Belfast can get in even if people don’t like it because writers are perfectly capable of begrudgingly admitting “mmmkay fine I mean…it does its manipulation well”.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m predicting Branagh to miss the directing Oscar nomination even if he makes it in Critics Choice and DGA. I just don’t see the Academy’s directing branch be so compelled to nominate Branagh for this type of work (no it doesn’t have to do with the actor turned director bias).

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I won’t quote the stills again but HOLY SHIT Nightmare Alley looks good. WELCOME BACK GUILLERMO DEL TOROOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What are these predicting Belfast acting nominations about? I’m reading the reviews and the praise is on the film itself and the direction. I don’t see raves for not one actor.

There’s enough praise for Balfe in the reviews, she’s def the most singled out, c’mon she is! You can’t compare her to Stewart or Cumberbatch, she won’t be in the headlines, but in the texts she’s there.

I personally hated the film, but I liked Dornan and Balfe? For me Dornan was better—but for the most part they really were in like…..some 1930s Hollywood musical LOL. They’re just very charming and great with what they’re given, that’s all it really is imo. I wouldn’t nominate either of them, but I’m predicting Balfe & Hinds as of now, and if Balfe stays in lead, she’ll be kicked out unless the film REALLY IS that strong with AMPAS.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

I’m predicting Branagh to miss the directing Oscar nomination even if he makes it in Critics Choice and DGA. I just don’t see the Academy’s directing branch be so compelled to nominate Branagh for this type of work (no it doesn’t have to do with the actor turned director bias).

Didn’t he direct Artemis Fowl? Knowing how snobbish the Directors branch is he could totally miss.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Y’all would be dismissing Nightmare Alley if it was directed by Tim Burton…

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.