Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 518 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

‘Dune’, ‘Last Night In Soho’ & ‘Spencer’ Among Those Movies Not Eligible To Compete For TIFF’s Top Prize, The People’s Choice Award

Voting closes about midnight Friday night Eastern Time. The awards are set to be announced in the morning of Saturday, Sept. 18.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

My point stands still that TPOTD and Belfast are the only locks at this point for Picture.

Only Campion locked for Nomination on Best Director. Larrain has very strong chances, though.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

And here’s King Richard, further looking to lock several major nominations (and a potential BP win alongside Will Smith‘s potential best actor triumph? Possibly). Plus Smith is a credited producer on the film (“labor of love”), and I’m not sleeping on the potential for Reinaldo Marcus Green to score a BD nom at DGA and the Oscars. No one should be, tbh. Will Smith’s ‘King Richard’ to Close AFI Film Festival

DGA maybe. The Oscars? Absolutely NOT.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

So Dune is good! Definitely getting nominated for Picture, Director might come along if it gets all the techies. The world building is certainly more interesting than the story itself but it wouldn’t be the first time a movie like that got into Best Picture.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

I think Reinaldo Marcus Green would be ineligible at DGA like all the day-and-date releases unless they change the rules again.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

And here’s King Richard, further looking to lock several major nominations (and a potential BP win alongside Will Smith‘s potential best actor triumph? Possibly). Plus Smith is a credited producer on the film (“labor of love”), and I’m not sleeping on the potential for Reinaldo Marcus Green to score a BD nom at DGA and the Oscars. No one should be, tbh. Will Smith’s ‘King Richard’ to Close AFI Film Festival

Yeah not buying the BP win and the Director nom.  I think only Smith could win but even so I have doubts considering BAFTA might go for Cumberbatch.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yeah not buying the BP win and the Director nom. I think only Smith could win but even so I have doubts considering BAFTA might go for Cumberbatch.

My thinking: It appears quite possible that Smith would defeat a BAFTA-winning Cumberbatch the way Jeff Bridges beat a BAFTA-winning Colin Firth. And I expect King Richard to rack up more Oscar nominations than Crazy Heart did.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Bleecker Street kicks off FYC season with its page for Mass, confirming the supporting-category campaign for all four main performers.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Bleecker Street kicks off FYC season with its page for Mass, confirming the supporting-category campaign for all four main performers.

Am I the only one who thinks Mass is so not happening? Like I know it will be a great film with great performances, but I just don’t think anyone will care. And it has a terrible distributor. Remember how last year everyone thought Stanley Tucci was going to get in for Best Supporting Actor until he didn’t. Yeah exactly. Highest it will land some critics choice nominations in my opinion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My thinking: It appears quite possible that Smith would defeat a BAFTA-winning Cumberbatch the way Jeff Bridges beat a BAFTA-winning Colin Firth. And I expect King Richard to rack up more Oscar nominations than Crazy Heart did.

Colin Firth wasn’t in a British movie and Best Picture contender.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Colin Firth wasn’t in a British movie and Best Picture contender.

And Jeff Bridges was in an American movie that wasn’t a Best Picture contender.

And Will Smith is in an American movie that will be a Best Picture contender.

British AMPAS voting members may have a lot of influence, but American AMPAS voting members have a lot more influence.

Advantage (still): Smith

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And Jeff Bridges was in an American movie that wasn’t a Best Picture contender. And Will Smith is in an American movie that will be a Best Picture contender. British AMPAS voting members may have a lot of influence, but American AMPAS voting members have a lot more influence. Advantage (still): Smith

I was responding to the comparison of Will Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeff Bridges and Colin Firth at the BAFTAs that year but I misread your post and thought you were referring to the BAFTA race and not thee Oscar one.

My bad!

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Surprised no one posted it so here it is:

Telluride People’s poll

1) The Power of the Dog (4.63)
    2) The Rescue (4.20)
    3) Julia (4.18)
    4) Belfast (4.12)
    5) King Richard (4.06)
    6) C’mon C’mon (3.93)
    7) The Hand of God (3.83)
    8) Cyrano (3,62)
    9) A Hero (3.60)
    10) Marcel the Shell (3.57)
    11) The Duke (3.53)
    12) Spencer-tie- (3.50)
    12) The Electrical Life of Louis Wain-tie- (3.50)
    14) The Lost Daughter (3.44)
    15) Red Rocket (3.41)
    16) Petite Maman (3.25)
    17) The French Dispatch (2.50)
    18) Encounter (2.43)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Surprised no one posted it so here it is: Telluride People’s poll 1) The Power of the Dog (4.63) 2) The Rescue (4.20) 3) Julia (4.18) 4) Belfast (4.12) 5) King Richard (4.06) 6) C’mon C’mon (3.93) 7) The Hand of God (3.83) 8) Cyrano (3,62) 9) A Hero (3.60) 10) Marcel the Shell (3.57) 11) The Duke (3.53) 12) Spencer-tie- (3.50) 12) The Electrical Life of Louis Wain-tie- (3.50) 14) The Lost Daughter (3.44) 15) Red Rocket (3.41) 16) Petite Maman (3.25) 17) The French Dispatch (2.50) 18) Encounter (2.43)

So much for The Power of the Dog being inaccessible.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

1) The Power of the Dog (4.63)

Not the ‘inaccessible’ and ‘slow’ one dominating Telluride

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.