Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 519 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

It looks like something I would really like (regarding Nightmare Alley) but the trailer is personally not screaming top-3 Best Picture contender for me. Of course this is just a trailer but it seems like it leans a little too much into the action genre (and in a way that’s not as appealing to the academy) for me to think it can be a top contender. It seems a little campy as well (which is one of the reasons I think I might like it). I still think it can get nominated in BP though.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Licorice isn’t winning either lol. I guess it really is between TPOTD and Belfast.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Of course this is just a trailer but it seems like it leans a little too much into the action genre (

lol what. Nightmare Alley trailer screams neo-noir.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Searchlight is great at campaigning, so it definitely could get nominations especially now with The French Dispatch flopping, but winning major categories is something I don’t see for now, except for Production Design.

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Yeah so Nightmare Alley has just won Production Design. Damn, del Toro really earns the term visionary, just watching the trailer made me feel like I was transported to this magical, dark place of seediness and wonder. Cannot wait for this film, really hoping this is the year I get won over on Bradley Cooper.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Nightmare Alley looks amazing. The anti-Bradley bias is already strong at work again.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Nightmare Alley looks too gritty to win Best Picture. People were literally ran over in the trailer? Licorice Pizza is the dominant latebreaker to win Picture.

A Paul Thomas Anderson movie? Girl.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

A Paul Thomas Anderson movie? Girl.

PTA is coming.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Wow, the color palette for “Nightmare Alley” is so… Tel Toro… Gorgeous movie! It doesn’t have fantastical elements but it retains that aura somehow by being set in a circus. I love noirs, so intriguing!

Let’s worry about the Best Picture line-up before discussing potential winners lol.  Cooper seems to have a role to chew on, that’s for sure!

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Nightmare Alley looks amazing. The anti-Bradley bias is already strong at work again.

Mmm I can’t stand him but Ima watch the shit outta Nightmare Alley lol

Also, folx, c’mon. This trailer is better than 99% of the trailers we’ve gotten this year, which have mostly been SO BAD. It’s good! Blanchett’s Disney-evil-laugh threw me lol but that’s mostly it

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

I read somewhere that Nightmare Alley is bunch of douchebags meet each other. Rooney Mara seems less Villainous, though.

and Willem Dafoe narration is just… *chef kiss

Mara is the only character that can be called “good”. Literally everybody else is sleazy.

The trailer is fantastic and I’m going to love this movie… not sure if AMPAS will though lol

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Can we just STOP the “too dark and gritty” nonsense please? If Belfast, TPOTD, Nightmare Alley are top 3, those are basically 3 completely different GENRES. Like……….. it’s so silly. Being dark didn’t stop TPOTD from being the highest rated film BY NON-CRITICS & NON-PUNDITS from Telluride.

Condescending to “average people” will continue to backfire. Don’t do it.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

As someone said in another thread, it may be good in the end, it may get a low tier BP nomination, Production Design, or even Blanchett in Lead, but aside from that, i don’t think this will be a big awards player in the Directing and Acting categories, or across the board.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Del Toro seems like a sure fire nomination in Director after the trailer as expected months ago.

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

PTA is coming.

To win? Not in a million years.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.