Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 511 through 519 (of 519 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Hot take: these Oscars films are as formulaic and generic as marvel movies are

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Yes it’s also formulaic but it’s generally better paced and has better payiff

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Not really a hot take, that’s been knew.

Marvel’s problem isn’t being generic, that’s not necessarily a problem. It’s because they’re bad.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Lol. U really have to be a Marvel hater to believe in any shit you just said.

Yeah man, anyone who doesn’t agree with your kneejerk defence of Marvel’s honour is an enemy and a hater. Is this what’s it’s like being part of a cult?

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Not really a hot take, that’s been knew. Marvel’s problem isn’t being generic, that’s not necessarily a problem. It’s because they’re bad.

Each to their own I suppose, but thats fine. We can call Uwe Boll movies masterpieces, right?

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Denis Villeneuve is right.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Not really a hot take, that’s been knew. Marvel’s problem isn’t being generic, that’s not necessarily a problem. It’s because they’re bad.

the only marvel that i’ve ever watched was Endgame (because my boyfriend keep forcing me lol) and my god… that is one star studded loud mess. Everything about it feels amateurish, forced, and half hearted with No genuine emotions, bloated plot and characters, cheap jokes… Even Showgirls supposedly serious scene was far more hilarious than the entirety of that cheesy superhero jokes. i cant believe some crowd being mad about it getting snubbed for best picture nom at 2020 oscars lol.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

National Board of Review has shifted their nominations announcement date back to the regular: Nov 30th

Also: “NBR said today that 2021 films will be eligible if screened either in a theater or digitally on or before Sunday, November 28.”

That takes out pretty much all the late films: DLU, HoG, Nightmare Alley, West Side Story and others I’m forgetting right now. NBR means screened for the public, so late release films that played festivals are fine, but private LA screenings won’t cut it.

E.g.: The Irishman was late but it played NYFF so it was fine.

HoG is released on November 24th so it’s eligible. If it will get in tho is another story.

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Current Predictions:

In terms of likelihood of nomination:
    1. The Power of the Dog: Played at the festivals to strong praise, critical darling especially considering mixed positive reactions to everything else
    2. Belfast: bet against it at your own peril, big audience player with good enough reviews for what it is, makes Hollywood feel good about itself.

3. Licorice Pizza: unseen but apparently more accessible and PTA doesn’t even need to be that accessible to get in. Being set in the movie world also helps quite a bit.
    4. Don’t Look Up: McKay hasn’t missed since he started doing his whole Big Short brand of moviemaking and this film seems to be following in that vein. His style obviously works for a lot of the Academy. I think it has to be pretty bad to miss in a year of 10.
    5. King Richard: Like Belfast, the reviews are good enough and it’s going to be a big actor player which helps it. If you’re predicting Smith to win Actor, then a picture nomination probably comes with it. No actor has won in the last 11 years without a corresponding picture nom.
    6. Dune: I don’t think this gets Interstellared in a year of ten. Some people will love this and it’s the biggest, grandest movie of the batch.

7. West Side Story: Spielberg doesn’t really miss with the Academy when he’s doing what the Academy likes.
    8. Nightmare Alley: Personally loved the trailer but looks real weird. TSOW is the only thing like it that I can think of that has seen awards success and that movie was a lot more hopeful and positive than Nightmare Alley appears. Don’t love the too dark criticism but I think this also looks campier than anything the Academy usually touches. This applies to House of Gucci too but I rate Nightmare alley a little higher just given I have more faith in Del Toro than Ridley Scott in current form. I might be wrong about this if Gucci is the bigger actor player (which is more important than techs) and I think it probably is the bigger actors movie.

Literally could be anything, might grab long shot 100/1s while I can

Viewing 9 posts - 511 through 519 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.