Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 490 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
fefface
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    Nectar
    Topics:

Villeneuve can get a nomination but a win is unlikely.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I think that Dune’s and Villeveive’s biggest obstacle to winning (not to a nomination) is that it’s part 1. They may want to see the whole thing before awarding it, like LOTR.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    mansos
    Topics:

I hope PTA and Wes Anderson get their long overdue Oscar wins this year, in either screenplay or directing or even picture. They are much more deserving than Villenueve right now.

This! I’m especially excited for PTA, who I consider the best director working today. Can’t believe we still know so little about Soggy Bottom so I hope there’s some news coming around soon.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think this is maybe Jane Campion’s to lose. Don’t forget: she didn’t win for The Piano nor did it win Best Picture (should have). With her it’s also about her comeback after ages, plus the fact that she’s considered an auteur. Plus: guys, the book is…amazing. Echoes of There Will Be Blood, Brokeback Mountain, Phantom Thread, and Nomadland. It might look like Nomadland, but it’s far more tense and vicious, and it has immensely strong commentary on masculinity and indigenous people.

It helps her that so far the contenders seem pretty thin on women directors. I hope but I don’t think Rebecca Hall or Maggie Gyllenhaal can pull it off. Both are also adapting fantastic books—but they’re not Jane Campion.

Based on what we know so far, I think Campion’s in the lead, but two other directors feel super competitive in terms of Academy members wanting them to win: Wes Anderson & Asghar Farhadi. Anderson hasn’t won Best Director yet & Farhadi is immensely respected and one of these days some foreign director other than the 3 amigos will win, and who better placed than Farhadi?

Edgar Wright has tremendous buzz, I think Soho will do well—not sure he’ll win Best Director—the film will hit, he’ll get nominated but a win seems premature (like it probably did for Yorgos Lanthimos, Benh Zeitlin, and other flashy up-and-coming directors at the time their films came out). The PTA factor: I don’t know. Of course he could hit big, I perhaps don’t see the immense thematic resonance that could make him win, but he’s a wildcard!

So I guess I’ll revise: I think it’s between Jane Campion & Wes Anderson. Which would be…wow!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Villeneuve for the win!

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Milk Money wrote:
    Villeneuve for the win!

Jane Campion

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Farhadi is immensely respected and one of these days some foreign director other than the 3 amigos will win, and who better placed than Farhadi?

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

At this point, this is still everybody’s to lose (except for Del Toro, he just won 3 years ago). They may not giving Edgar Wright the win immediately this year, but he can win Original Screenplay first. Besides, many Directors are overdue for win than Wright (who is ovedue for nomination).

Its ridiculous that someone mentioned The Piano shouldve won BP because something called Schindler’s List exists

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

At this point, this is still everybody’s to lose (except for Del Toro, he just won 3 years ago)

That didn’t stop Cuarón from winning twice in five years, or Iñárritu from winning back to back.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

That didn’t stop Cuarón from winning twice in five years, or Iñárritu from winning back to back.

Roma is an actual masterpiece and the competition was incredibly weak.
    Inarritu instead had the incredible luck of benefiting from the huge hype around DiCaprio’s performance and his overdue narrative at the time.

Del Toro won’t have any of that and he has already won for a movie many in retrospect think didn’t age greatly compared to other films of that same year such as Dunkirk, Get Out, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards, etc..

I just don’t see him competitive for the win.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Guillermo del Toro is a fat cunt.

???

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Both directorial achievements from Quaron and Inarritu were incredibly different from each other. Different studio, one was an arthouse drama and the other was a blockbuster. Both Nightmare Alley and The Shape of Water are similar in terms of the scale of filmmaking.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Iñárritu has 2 Oscars for Best Director for…

An Comedy with Keaton in an leading role

And an Overrated movie with Leonardo DiCaprio that was are worst performance ever!

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Iñárritu has 2 Oscars for Best Director for… An Comedy with Keaton in an leading role And an Overrated movie with Leonardo DiCaprio that was are worst performance ever!

DiCaprio was incredible in The Revenant, but yeah, Inarritu is definitely NOT deserving of two Oscars for Directing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.