Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 490 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
fefface
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yeah, I can’t emphasize enough how much the trailer feels like a big effort in cut work to make this movie feel action-y or Marvel quippy; it doesn’t fit with what we saw. … But main thematic elements (environmentalism, imperialism, etc.) were there off the bat.

This sounds really promising! sarahvsmovies, you better be at least somewhat right hahahaha, you’re making my heart very happy right now

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    AjayLopez25
    Topics:

my Oscars 2022 prediction

Directing

top 5:

Jon M. Chu (In The Heights)

Fran Kranz (Mass)

Denis Villenueve (Dune)

Guillermo Del Toro (Nightmare Alley)

Sian Heder (CODA)

next in line:

Wes Anderson (The French Dispatch)

Joel Coen (The Tragedy Of Macbeth)

Jonathan Butterell (Everybody’s Talking About Jamie)

Rebecca Hall (Passing)

Darren Aronofsky (The Whale)

followed by:

Ridley Scott (House Of Gucci)

Jeymes Samuel (The Harder They Fall)

Ridley Scott (The Last Duel)

Joachim Trier (The Worst Person In The World)

Taika Waititi (Next Goal Wins)

other contenders:

Jane Campion (The Power Of The Dog)

Edgar Wright (Last Night In Soho)

Andrew Dominik (Blonde)

Leos Carax (Annette)

Chloé Zhao (Eternals)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

We should be getting teaser trailers for Blonde, Don’t Look Up, and The Power of the Dog before Venice at least. That’s what Netflix did with Marriage Story/Irishman/Two Popes.

I think the real reason Netflix skipped the fall Festivals last year was because they knew their slate wasn’t going to be that well received as evidenced by Ma Rainey being their most acclaimed film that season.

They didn’t put up Roma until late October. I don’t think we’ll get them tbh, at least for all 3. I can see them putting out Don’t Look Up, because it’s also a big commercial play. Mostly because Campion is a pretty secretive director, and in a way the strategy with TPOTD feels like they kinda want it to be a surprise hit as opposed to already a hugely-anticipated film. Maybe they didn’t see all the buzz coming (esp with Variety—which is dumb and usually puts mostly commercial plays—having slotted in TPOTD, Campion, Cumberbatch and Dunst all in top spots (Dunst at #1 in supporting).

I don’t think summer trailers are necessarily a good strategy anyway. Films like The Father & Judas, Sound of Metal, and the Black Messiah benefited from bursting onto the scene late in the game. Netflix must be picking up tricks.

Sorry, correction: Roma did have a teaser in late July but it’s just water being splashed on a surface, i.e. a very cryptic non-footage teaser.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think the real reason Netflix skipped the fall Festivals last year was because they knew their slate wasn’t going to be that well received as evidenced by Ma Rainey being their most acclaimed film that season.

Mmm, I dunno about that. Mank would’ve played really well at Telluride in particular (I don’t like the film, I just think that the Telluride audience is sort of tailor-made for films like Mank). The Midnight Sky would’ve benefited greatly from the big screen in a pandemic year. I am inclined to agree with you on Ma Rainey but again, I honestly don’t know how last year’s films would’ve played on the big screen because…I didn’t watch them on the big screen!

GOD I am so glad theatres are back (at least in American cities). The big screen makes such a huge difference in my experience. I remember watching Roma at Telluride and I watched it twice there because I loved it so much. When my friends saw it on Netflix they said they were bored and turned it off, and when I sat to rewatch it, I kinda got bored too. Crazy how much of a difference it makes! For me at least.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I just found out CinemaCon will take place from August 23-26, but Disney isn’t sending stars or executives because of concerns related to the Delta variant. Could something related to Nightmare Alley be shown there? Quote: “Disney is concerned about the spike in Covid cases in Clark County, NV and they’ve been monitoring the situation in Las Vegas and mulling plans for several weeks. One insider says that they’re making the comfort and safety of their employees and talent a top priority. Disney will screen a movie, which they have traditionally done at previous CinemaCons (i.e. Avengers: Infinity War and Inside Out, among others), and there’s possibly a virtual presentation in store.” Source: https://deadline.com/2021/07/cinemacon-2021-covid-disney-skipping-black-widow-jungle-cruise-1234799381/

Profile picture
    AjayLopez25
    Topics:

:
    View Predictions
    July 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm#1204360200
    I’m surprised people are still predicting In The Heights. It’s a huge flop box office wise and honestly who saw it besides die hard musical fans

It is not a huge flop just they get the expectation box office numbers..

In the Oscars history just a few Best Picture winners are get huge box office numbers the rest Best Picture winners are box office flopped even Best Picture nominees..

I believe In The Heights still a possible wins and nominations at the Oscars 2022

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I believe In The Heights still a possible wins and nominations at the Oscars 2022

Sorry Ajay, I think it’s out of the running for now because there’s so many other films that are getting attention and festivals will yield so many raves. Any film, on paper, needs either box office & audience popularity or critics groups and it has neither.

It can make a comeback later in the year though? If some critics group picks it or if the campaign is just REALLY amazing.

FYC:

Profile picture
    AjayLopez25
    Topics:

Best Pictures winners with box office success

Gone With The Wind

Titanic

The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

Gladiator

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    AjayLopez25
    Topics:

kazizJoined:
    Nov 10th, 2011
    Topics:
    View Predictions
    July 23, 2021 at 11:06 pm#1204360228
    AjayLopez25 wrote:
    Sorry Ajay, I think it’s out of the running for now because there’s so many other films that are getting attention and festivals will yield so many raves. Any film, on paper, needs either box office & audience popularity or critics groups and it has neither.

It can make a comeback later in the year though? If some critics group picks it or if the campaign is just REALLY amazing

I know and I am aware of that.

In The Heights have two possible ending either been out of the league like Da 5 Bloods or ending up lucky like Black Panther 

and had a backlash their chances are 50/50

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m probably the only person here bullish about Blonde‘s chances, but the Writers Branch is usually where the more structurally adventurous fare can get in (this is also why I’m doubting The French Dispatch in Picture and Director but not Screenplay). It’ll depend on how many adapted screenplay contenders there are.

Both Ridley Scotts, the Campion, Macbeth, Dune, The Lost Daughter, Mothering Sunday off the top of my head.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Mmm, I dunno about that. Mank would’ve played really well at Telluride in particular (I don’t like the film, I just think that the Telluride audience is sort of tailor-made for films like Mank). The Midnight Sky would’ve benefited greatly from the big screen in a pandemic year. I am inclined to agree with you on Ma Rainey but again, I honestly don’t know how last year’s films would’ve played on the big screen because…I didn’t watch them on the big screen! GOD I am so glad theatres are back (at least in American cities). The big screen makes such a huge difference in my experience. I remember watching Roma at Telluride and I watched it twice there because I loved it so much. When my friends saw it on Netflix they said they were bored and turned it off, and when I sat to rewatch it, I kinda got bored too. Crazy how much of a difference it makes! For me at least.

Wait I was at the Telluride showing for Roma too, lol. Extremely belated “hi!” Energy was amazing and I had the same experience when I went to rewatch on Netflix. The big screen makes a huge difference. I genuinely wonder how different the landscape would have been last year with everything showing in theaters and traditional festival runs. I don’t think several highly anticipated contenders (Mank!) flubbing is a coincidence. Made for a fun indie year imo though, so I’ll allow it.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Wait I was at the Telluride showing for Roma too, lol. Extremely belated “hi!” Energy was amazing and I had the same experience when I went to rewatch on Netflix. The big screen makes a huge difference. I genuinely wonder how different the landscape would have been last year with everything showing in theaters and traditional festival runs. I don’t think several highly anticipated contenders (Mank!) flubbing is a coincidence. Made for a fun indie year imo though, so I’ll allow it.

omg HIIIII!! Are you a Telluride regular? Going this year?

Yeah, big screens made such a big difference, though last year’s indies like Sound of Metal & The Father would, personally I think, played even better on the big screen, no? Play adaptations like Last Year in Miami & Ma Rainey felt claustrophobic on the TV in a way they maybe wouldn’t have in the theatre? I don’t know what the recipe for a film that plays well in both is lol, but generally I’m a lot more patient and present in the theatre. The more intelligent and slow and panoramic the film, the more it requires the big screen. Speaking of: I really want to watch Nomadland on the big screen!

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Picture

1. The Power of the Dog
    2. Don’t Look Up
    3. House of Gucci
    4. Nightmare Alley
    5. Soggy Bottom
    6. Dune
    7. The French Dispatch
    8. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    9. Last Night in Soho
    10. The Last Duel

Next in Line: A Hero, Tick… Tick, Boom, Passing, Being the Ricardos, West Side Story, Parallel Mothers, The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

Director

1. Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    2. Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley
    3. Denis Villeneuve, Dune
    4. Paul Thomas Anderson, Soggy Bottom
    5. Edgar Wright, Last Night in Soho

6. Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch
    7. Joel Coen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    8. Adam McKay, Don’t Look Up
    9. Asghar Farhadi, A Hero
    10. Pedro Almodovar, Parallel Mothers

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.