Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 490 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
fefface
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Best Picture Predictions:

Obvious Guesses:

1. Don’t Look Up
    2. West Side Story
    3. Nightmare Alley
    4. Dune
    5. House Of Gucci
    6. The Tragedy Of Macbeth
    7. Soggy Bottom

Not So Likely, But Have A Good Chance:

1. Canterbury Glass
    2. Eternals
    3. A Journal For Jordan
    4. The French Dispatch
    5. C’mon C’mon
    6. The Eyes Of Tammy Faye#

Possible, But I’m Not So Sure:

1. Tick, Tick… Boom!
    2. The Last Duel
    3. The Power Of The Dog
    4. Belfast
    5. Last Night In Soho
    6. Passing
    7. Mass
    8. In The Heights
    9. CODA
    10. Best Director – Predictions:

The Top 5:

1. Dennis Villenueve – Dune
    2. Joel Coen – The Tragedy Of Macbeth
    3. Guillermo del Toro – Nightmare Alley
    4. Paul Thomas Anderson – Soggy Bottom
    5. Steven Spielberg – West Side Story

Next Up:

1. Adam McKay – Don’t Look Up
    2. Chloe Zhao – Eternals
    3. Ridley Scott – House Of Gucci/The Last Duel
    4. Wes Anderson – The French Dispatch
    5. Edgar Wright – Last Night In SoHo
    6. Jane Campion – The Power Of The Dog
    7. Kenneth Branagh – Belfast

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Still not sold on Nightmare Alley being an awards thing. It will be too dark, violent and cynical for the current climate. Critics will obviously love it, but I bet on a cold reception from the audience.

The Shape of Water at least had two lovely and relatable main characters to root for. Nightmare Alley is just full of shitty people being shitty, kinda like Mank. Assuming it will be anything like the book and the 1947 film.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Still not sold on Nightmare Alley being an awards thing. It will be too dark, violent and cynical for the current climate. Critics will obviously love it, but I bet on a cold reception from the audience. The Shape of Water at least had two lovely and relatable main characters to root for. Nightmare Alley is just full of shitty people being shitty, kinda like Mank. Assuming it will be anything like the book and the 1947 film.

True. I don’t think it’ll win, honestly. Best chances it has are in the acting categories.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    someperson1991
    Topics:

Paul Schrader was doing shit like this during the First Reformed campaign and got nominated. The studio will just put him in Facebook jail and that’ll be that.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Schrader is tanking this film’s chances. It’s not touching screenplay and neither Isaac or Dafoe will be touching any nominations.

He’s gonna do to Isaac what Von Trier did to Dunst lol. Man absolutely cannot just log off.

Paul Schrader was doing shit like this during the First Reformed campaign and got nominated. The studio will just put him in Facebook jail and that’ll be that.

They tried! He posted that Focus called him and told him to go quiet on Facebook. And yet, he posts.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>For your consideration:</p>
    the women in the window

Best picture: campiest flick of the year.

Best director: joe wright

Best actress: amy adams ‘i’m not crazy’ while acting like a wacko.

Best supporting actress: julianne moore “look at this shitty house”

Best supporting actor: albino oldman and his yellin

Best supporting actor: pills and wine.

Best adapted screenplay: YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ETHAN IS INAPPROPRIATE! HE IS A YOUNG MAN! HE IS BOY 15 YEAR AND A HALF AND YOU ARE MATURE WOMAN!!!

Best makeup: after being stabbed in the face with something, few months later adams come back looking like a supermodel. What a great makeup!

Best cinematography: you will never see a better use of dutch angle than this.

Best production design: those cracked glass ceiling.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Still not sold on Nightmare Alley being an awards thing. It will be too dark, violent and cynical for the current climate. Critics will obviously love it, but I bet on a cold reception from the audience. The Shape of Water at least had two lovely and relatable main characters to root for. Nightmare Alley is just full of shitty people being shitty, kinda like Mank. Assuming it will be anything like the book and the 1947 film.

Wait is there already a trailer or you just talked based on its premise?

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

after being stabbed in the face with something

A HAND RAKE

I swear to God Wright thought he was making a 1980s B-movies in those last scenes

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    Coltrane
    Topics:

Still not sold on Nightmare Alley being an awards thing. It will be too dark, violent and cynical for the current climate. Critics will obviously love it, but I bet on a cold reception from the audience.

The Shape of Water at least had two lovely and relatable main characters to root for. Nightmare Alley is just full of shitty people being shitty, kinda like Mank. Assuming it will be anything like the book and the 1947 film.

This sounds like a very reasoned take. I went to Wikipedia for the novel and it is pretty seedy. It seems like a descent into madness story and Toni Collete and Rooney Mara’s characters sound somewhat likable. I agree it’s darker than A Shape of Water, but because it’s more noir-ish, perhaps that’s the wrong comparison to make. The plot of Chinatown sprang to mind while I read it.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Someone said that they will leave the supernatural elements and focused on Noir/Psychological aspects of the material

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This sounds like a very reasoned take. I went to Wikipedia for the novel and it is pretty seedy. It seems like a descent into madness story and Toni Collete and Rooney Mara’s characters sound somewhat likable. I agree it’s darker than A Shape of Water, but because it’s more noir-ish, perhaps that’s the wrong comparison to make. The plot of Chinatown sprang to mind while I read it.

These takes make no sense to me.
    1. Too dark, violent and cynical for the current climate?!? Arguably most contenders will be like this: Dune (yes, it’s very cynical), The Power of the Dog, Last Night in Soho, Tragedy of Macbeth (already violent + the weird take Joel Coen will have will def be dark & cynical), and Adam McKay’s films are comedic sure but very cynical.
    2. If Chinatown sprang to mind, doesn’t that mean it’s a safe play?
    3. Why does it have to be like A Shape of Water?
    4. Yes it’s mostly shitty people, but you mentioned Mank—so it can be as successful (nom-wise) as Mank, right?

I get the argument that it could possibly not be as emotionally touching, but tbf Guillermo del Toro is always very emotionally touching. All of his films use the surrealism to give the audience all the feels.

BUT I’m always skeptical of big ensembles. They’re too scattered, people always overestimate them in advance. If the film focuses enough on Blanchett and Cooper’s characters, it could be excellent. If it’s too ensemble-y, I dunno. But I see no reason to think it’s too dark or whatever for the current climate because all the films are lol

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t know about the win but I feel quite happy having Jane Campion at number one in my predictions for the nomination. Unless The Power of the Dog is poorly received or isn’t the contender we’re expecting it to be I just don’t see how someone as revered as she is misses the nomination. I also think after last year’s historic breakthrough in this category, there will be more of a drive to at least nominate female directors and Campion seems the likeliest bet.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t know about the win but I feel quite happy having Jane Campion at number one in my predictions for the nomination. Unless The Power of the Dog is poorly received or isn’t the contender we’re expecting it to be I just don’t see how someone as revered as she is misses the nomination. I also think after last year’s historic breakthrough in this category, there will be more of a drive to at least nominate female directors and Campion seems the likeliest bet.

Same. For some reason, everyone’s gravitating towards rooting for a much more populist leader in BP than something like TPOTD: Dune, House of Gucci, West Side Story, The Last Duel, Don’t Look Up etc. are all big commercial plays. Maybe it’s a reaction to Nomadland sweeping and theaters reopening lol. Maybe people are expecting the HYPED commercial film to win out over the quieter indie/indie-like films.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Same. For some reason, everyone’s gravitating towards rooting for a much more populist leader in BP

The forum is obsessed with the idea that the Academy will nominate more popular films to save its ratings. Theaters are reopening but films still aren’t performing as well (Black Widow) as they did before because people are still reluctant to go back to theaters. The little indie that could will prevail again this year just like how The Hurt Locker defeated Avatar and Moonlight over La La Land.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The little indie that could will prevail again this year just like how Hacksaw Ridge defeated Avatar

You mean The Hurt Locker? <i>Hacksaw Ridge</i> came out in 2016.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.