Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 490 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
fefface
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    someperson1991
    Topics:

Well, so much for my Paul Verhoeven prediction. Fun while it lasted.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Well, so much for my Paul Verhoeven prediction. Fun while it lasted.

When Benedetta enters the Oscars. Which country can submit it for Best International Feature? France or the Netherlands?

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Don’t Look Up will flop

I wouldn’t be surprised if it underperforms critically. Ambitious films with these types of extensive A-list casts tend to be hit or miss. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the Academy won’t eat it up. They apparently thought Vice was the cat’s meow so you never know.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it underperforms critically. Ambitious films with these types of extensive A-list casts tend to be hit or miss. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the Academy won’t eat it up. They apparently thought Vice was the cat’s meow so you never know.

Academy will eat it up…early reviews from screenings are a lot better than Vice and it is Netflix’s Mank/Irishman..the primary contender releasing in Nov/December. If Netflix is showing so much faith I am sure they are getting many noms.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

So after half of the Cannes’ crop reviews have come in, I think The Worst Person In The World along with Trier might be the Non-English big contender this year.

I agree in terms of the ones that have premiered so far this one has the most potential for a popular break-out. By most accounts it seems like an excellent romantic comedy that could appeal should it break through the subtitle barrier. My hopes are low in that regard, but I guess there’s a chance considering Another Round, another Nordic comedy-drama, had a decent breakout with audiences and did well with awards. I wouldn’t rule out the European voter influence getting Trier a nomination either, he’s not unlike Vinterberg in terms of the respect and popularity he and his films have rightly accumulated.

I still think the big international player/ players are to come though. A Hero stills seems, to me, the likeliest non-English language contender at Cannes, and Sorrentino’s Hand of God also strikes me as one that could do well although I know that isn’t at Cannes.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Power of The Dog: November

Don’t Look Up: December

Is this confirmed or speculation? Don’t Look Up will probably be Netflix’s aim for both Oscar attention AND the most amount of eyeballs possible, and The Power of the Dog will probably be more niche and mainly for the Oscar attention.

But that being said, I’m still incredibly skeptical of Don’t Look Up. Not just because of the horrendous draft scripts, but…the star wattage is INSANE & it’s really hard to remember a recent film with a cast that stacked—maybe The Grand Budapest Hotel at most? I’m not counting The Irishman or even Vice because neither were this stacked with both previous Oscar winners/nominees AND other superstars.

Frankly, I don’t know why we take it as given that such films will be surefire players. By that standard, August: Osage County should have been a shoo-in with six former Oscar nominees/winners and other major stars like Ewan MacGregor, Margo Martindale, and Julianne Nicholson. Don’t Look Up has seven, along with other household names like Ariana Grande, Chris Evans, Matthew Perry.

If anything, once a cast becomes stacked enough I become even more skeptical because the hype is hard to live up to (The Prom. Into the Woods. Contagion. The Monuments Men. Murder on the Orient Express. Downsizing. Many more I can’t remember now). Somehow the Academy seems to prefer films with 2-4 major stars as opposed to…11. Only Wes Anderson seems to have perfected the formula for huge and super-famous ensemble films to get attention.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Don’t look up having a huge star cast will only bring more eyeballs and votes. The early reviews are good. If Vice got in everywhere, I can’t imagine don’t look up being snubbed with Netflix making it the primary focus this season and McKay helming it.
    Power of the dog will be a huge critical failure I think. But if not , Netflix will continue its tradition of 2 bp nominees in line up.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Power of the dog will be a huge critical failure I think. But if not , Netflix will continue its tradition of 2 bp nominees in line up.

Back it with something logical, please, other than ‘I think’. I’m really curious whether you have watched it or heard it somewhere.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Back it with something logical, please, other than ‘I think’. I’m really curious whether you have watched it or heard it somewhere.

I read the book. I am getting hillbilly elegy vibes. Decent story but will not translate well on screen. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I read the book. I am getting hillbilly elegy vibes. Decent story but will not translate well on screen. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

Hillbilly Elegy vibes?!? Lol are you sure you read the right book? It’s the one by Thomas Savage, not the crime thriller by Don Winslow just fyi, and wow………..it is a period character study set on a Montana ranch in the 1930s with themes of indigenous oppression, industrialization and masculinity, so… that comparison seems bizarre to me. If you’d said it was a Western I’d be like okay close enough (but it’s not a typical “Western” either. It’s mostly housebound and claustrophobic, kinda like Phantom Thread. There are no journeys or treks). And just to be very, very clear, Thomas Savage’s “decent story” is incredibly critically acclaimed as a work of literature. At the very least say Brokeback Mountain, I have no idea what you could possibly mean when you just say “Hillbilly Elegy vibes” in this context.

FYC:
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

On that note, lol, are we going to keep referring to potential flops, no matter what kind of film they are, as Hillbilly Elegy-like?

HE flopped for some fairly specific reasons: it’s a shlocky caricature of poor people living in the Appalachian South amid the opioid and housing crises.

It’s a little like saying: “Hillbilly Elegy is going to flop, it’s giving me Gigli vibes.” It makes NO SENSE

FYC:

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Hillbilly Elegy vibes?!? Lol are you sure you read the right book? It’s the one by Thomas Savage, not the crime thriller by Don Winslow 

The way I actually ordered this one before realizing that it was the wrong author smh

Impossachievable

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

The way I actually ordered this one before realizing that it was the wrong author smh

Lmao yes, I also initially thought it was the crime thriller and was very confused why people think it is a contender at all.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

You just have to look at who’s behind the project though. Ron Howard is a washed-up, conventional film director who tackled a very controversial book by an American conservative douche. Jane Campion is a film auteur who uses her own unique voice to tell whatever story she wants, this time adapting a widely-respected piece of literature of the distant past. If anything, I think TPOTD will be an audience failure but a critical hit.

Yeah, I think Jane Campion gives me hope. Let us see..I see it being either critically acclaimed bp contender or a huge flop critically, no in between.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.