Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 490 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
fefface
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

I just got completely confused by this thread. What book is being compared to Hillbilly Elegy because Power of The Dog makes no sense.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yeah, I think Jane Campion gives me hope. Let us see..I see it being either critically acclaimed bp contender or a huge flop critically, no in between.

I don’t see “huge flop critically.” Even Bright Star was very critically acclaimed and if anyone dares use In the Cut as an example…don’t. That film is Jane Campion’s Nymphomaniac, it was basically designed to provoke and be hated by critics. It’s adapted from very badly-reviewed erotica, and is infamous for a fellatio scene and very long closeups of Mark Ruffalo’s dick. It’s hard for me to believe Campion had awards aspirations for that.

TPOTD doesn’t have any sexual content, it’s a drama, but the violent undertones are very strongly implied throughout. I don’t think know if I consider it as particularly risky compared even to The Piano which had a lot of sex in it, except maybe in that might teeter towards psychological thriller. Is that risky in 2021? I don’t think so, especially considering it’s Campion’s comeback after 12 years.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Campion’s films just aren’t ‘awards bait’ films in general, and personally I think that’s great. Whether or not Power of the Dog is an awards player or not remains to be seen but I’m very certain it will have its own distinct Campion vision no matter what.

Glad someone brought In the Cut up above, now that’s a great example of a film that just does its own thing without really caring about how it’ll be received or any awards aspirations. Just daring visceral cinema. Pretty much what I love about directors like Campion and Ramsey. Not the most prolific, but you can tell every film of their carries their own distinct voice without compromise.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Jane Campion continues to being underestimated. Can’t wait for POTD to win major awards at TIFF and Venice.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

This has nothing to do with 2022 race but I laughed:

Anna Kendrick will star in ALICE, DARLING, alongside Wunmi Mosaku, Charlie Carrick & Kaniehtiio Horn. The psychological thriller follows a woman keeping secrets about her boyfriend from her friends but all secrets are uncovered when a local girl disappears. (Source: Deadline)

Is this a joke? Because Olivia Wilde would like a word…

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

The French Dispatch is at an 85 right now on Metacritic and this is an excerpt of Steve Pond of The Wrap’s review that I wanted to highlight as it might epitomize the general reception to the film

“The result is hugely impressive and awfully scattershot, a wry piece of art that is always entertaining but also so excruciatingly detailed that you wonder if it will connect the way the more emotional, more fully drawn stories of “Grand Budapest,” “Moonrise Kingdom” or “The Royal Tenenbaums” did.”

So while I think Anderson’s film can still get a BP nomination, I don’t think it will have the emotional resonance needed for a win.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

The French Dispatch is at an 85 right now on Metacritic and this is an excerpt of Steve Pond of The Wrap’s review that I wanted to highlight as it might epitomize the general reception to the film “The result is hugely impressive and awfully scattershot, a wry piece of art that is always entertaining but also so excruciatingly detailed that you wonder if it will connect the way the more emotional, more fully drawn stories of “Grand Budapest,” “Moonrise Kingdom” or “The Royal Tenenbaums” did.” So while I think Anderson’s film can still get a BP nomination, I don’t think it will have the emotional resonance needed for a win.

Based on other reactions I’m seeing I think it will probably drop from 85, given that’s only from 6 reviews, but will be strong enough to get into BP if it can sustain momentum and do well with audiences. Seems like a significant tech player, which I think might carry it to BP, although it will obviously need to resonate above the line too (Director and/ or Screenplay shouldn’t be too difficult a push). I definitely agree on it being too emotionally restrained to prevent the win, though – one key takeaway from recent Oscars is that you don’t stand much of a chance of winning Picture if enough voters are left cold by your film.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

French Dispatch is not happening in best pic. Strictly below the line contender based on reactions.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The French Dispatch is at an 85 right now on Metacritic and this is an excerpt of Steve Pond of The Wrap’s review that I wanted to highlight as it might epitomize the general reception to the film

“The result is hugely impressive and awfully scattershot, a wry piece of art that is always entertaining but also so excruciatingly detailed that you wonder if it will connect the way the more emotional, more fully drawn stories of “Grand Budapest,” “Moonrise Kingdom” or “The Royal Tenenbaums” did.”

So while I think Anderson’s film can still get a BP nomination, I don’t think it will have the emotional resonance needed for a win.

This was fairly obvious, to be fair. It’s a very personal Wes Anderson film and a passion project of him. Kinda like Silence was for Scorsese.

The original release date also didn’t scream “awards season” for TFD

Campion takes director. PTA takes original screenplay. Poor Wes

I doubt Soggy Bottom will be an awards player. It will be completely overshadowed by House of Gucci.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

French Dispatch is still getting in BP with the power of the cast and Searchlight. I’m more interested if Anderson can miss Best Director for such an auteur piece that has left people feeling cold. He would be pulling a Fincher for Mank.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

TFD just increased from 85 to 88 on Metacritic. Seems like it’ll be successful.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The French Dispatch is quite safe for a Picture nomination. It has a director well respected in the industry and a high profile cast. Searchlight are like the HBO of the Oscars. They know how to campaign.

I think at worst it ends up being Mank 2.0 (although maybe it ends up being the other way around and it misses director instead of original screenplay).

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    francemc
    Topics:

The French Dispatch is quite safe for a Picture nomination. It has a director well respected in the industry and a high profile cast. Searchlight are like the HBO of the Oscars. They know how to campaign. I think at worst it ends up being Mank 2.0 (although maybe it ends up being the other way around and it misses director instead of original screenplay).

breaking news

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I think at worst it ends up being Mank 2.0 (although maybe it ends up being the other way around and it misses director instead of original screenplay).

That sounds possible but I haven’t seen that much acclaim for the writing. Then again, the film is writer’s bait.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.