Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

Is there any reason why Tom Waits in Licorice Pizza wasn’t put in the predictions center when Sean Penn and Benny Safdie were? He has higher billing than Cooper and Safdie, suggesting his role is bigger than both of theirs, and yet no one seems to be considering him as a possibility.

Also, just spitballing here, by no means a firm prediction, but does it seem to anyone else that for the first time since 1950 in a supporting category, and for the first time ever in Supporting Actor, two films could be double-nominated? Those two being Belfast and either Power of the Dog or Licorice Pizza. Again, not super likely, just a little supposition, thought the possibility was worth mentioning.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Maybe it’s because I haven’t been on these forums for a while, but I’m still clinging like hell to Bradley Cooper in Licorice Pizza as the winner. You don’t necessarily need a big part in the movie to win if you’re a big name and you have a big performance. The clip in the trailer of him yelling his head off and smashing those cars suggests that he will have that big performance. It’s the kind of flashy, fun, scene-stealing stuff that brought Laura Dern and Brad Pitt their long-awaited trophies.

Nah, let me tell you something.

I bet that if Licorice Pizza is a strong, very well received BP contender, Sean Penn will be the Supporting nominee contender of this movie.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

This might be only my opinion, but as ridiculous and sex-obsessed blond French Medieval noblemen go, I’d take Robert Pattinson in “The King” every day over Ben Affleck in “The Last Duel”. 😅

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Jenkins role won supporting Tony. The play is more of an ensemble piece; even though he has the best role in it.

Profile picture
    Morry Boland
    Topics:

Is it possible Ben Affleck could get two nominations for best supporting actor? Has that ever happened before in Oscar history? In the acting?

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Let’s talk about Jason Isaacs in Mass! OMG, what a great performance! Reed Birney was excellent too but Isaacs had the more emotional scenes and one in particular that was so Oscar-worthy! While I would argue all four are co-leads I get that they are being considered in the supporting categories. All four performances are superb. I am now hoping enough academy members see Mass and nominate Jason Isaacs for his extremely strong performance!

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Is it possible Ben Affleck could get two nominations for best supporting actor? Has that ever happened before in Oscar history? In the acting?

Not a chance in hell he gets two nominations. Idk the answer to your other question. I think 12-13 actors got nominated twice in the same year but different categories.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Neither of Affleck’s performances are nomination worthy. Besides actors are disqualified from getting two nominations in one category. Recall Robbie unable to get nominated for BOTH Bombshell and OUATIH.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Lol, Bradley in supporting isn’t happening. It’s Sean if anything.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

TLD bombing extra hard this weekend ends Affleck predictions nonsense. Comer is not happening let alone Affleck. Fox isn’t going to waste money on a campaign for this when they have WSS.

Mass also flopped hard so I wouldn’t bet on anyone from it either. Bombs had traction last year cause everything bombed but that isn’t the case with this year. A number of movies will do fine and Netflix can always claim their ponies surpassed Squid Game.

Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

Lol, Bradley in supporting isn’t happening. It’s Sean if anything.

I wouldn’t be so certain, personally.

The trailer and what we know about Licorice Pizza seems to show Cooper having the strongest chance for nomination, given his manic, high-energy character who happens to be a real, famously eccentric Hollywood producer many voters may be familiar with, plus the weak field and a possible overdue narrative. Even if he isn’t in it for long, that probably isn’t much of a factor as long as he leaves a big enough impression, since other actors have won for less screentime than Cooper probably has.

I mean, sure, it’s possible someone else (Waits, Penn, Safdie) ends up outshining him, or gets nominated alongside him, or LP could garner no acting nominations whatsoever. My point is we just don’t know what’s in the cards for the film until people have seen it. Currently, though, the evidence points to Cooper.

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be so certain, personally. The trailer and what we know about Licorice Pizza seems to show Cooper having the strongest chance for nomination, given his manic, high-energy character who happens to be a real, famously eccentric Hollywood producer many voters may be familiar with, plus the weak field and a possible overdue narrative. Even if he isn’t in it for long, that probably isn’t much of a factor as long as he leaves a big enough impression, since other actors have won for less screentime than Cooper probably has. I mean, sure, it’s possible someone else (Waits, Penn, Safdie) ends up outshining him, or gets nominated alongside him, or LP could garner no acting nominations whatsoever. My point is we just don’t know what’s in the cards for the film until people have seen it. Currently, though, the evidence points to Cooper.

You are wrong. The supporting roles in this film play very brief roles and intentionally only play off each other to develop the story of the protagonists. I see more possible recognition for the 2 main characters, especially her.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

The academy doesn’t allow two performances by an actor in the same category, that’s one of their oldest rules.
    Otherwise we’d probably have occurrences like Kate Winslet with Revolutionary Road/The Reader and Margot Robbie with Bombshell/OUATIH

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

TLD bombing extra hard this weekend ends Affleck predictions nonsense. Comer is not happening let alone Affleck. Fox isn’t going to waste money on a campaign for this when they have WSS. Mass also flopped hard so I wouldn’t bet on anyone from it either. Bombs had traction last year cause everything bombed but that isn’t the case with this year. A number of movies will do fine and Netflix can always claim their ponies surpassed Squid Game.

Again, with the whole flop thing. Literally every potential BP nominee will flop. People aren’t going to theaters in droves unless its an action specticle. Belfast will also flop, and practically every other film. Just like 2020, box office won’t matter.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Kodi Smit-McPhee

2. Javier Bardem

3. Jamie Dornan

4. Jonah Hill

5. Ben Affleck

* I think Ben Affleck is happening this year, whether it’s for The Last Duel or The Tender Bar, he’ll get a perceived “Movie star gets an overdue acting nomination” type of recognition.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.