Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 517 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Zuranthium
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

You know, I’m wondering if Troy Kotsur can’t make it into the final five?

Like you say, I think this really depends on how prominent CODA is this season. Raci is a good comparison in some ways but you’re right to clarify CODA probably won’t be as big a player as Sound of Metal. I doubt Raci could have got in if Metal wasn’t a big contender. This field is relatively weak though, and Kotsur has the performance and plaudits to merit the nod, so it’s possible. I could see CC and BAFTA going for him, and the Oscars following if they recognise CODA elsewhere, Screenplay most likely.

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

1. Ciaran Hinds – Belfast
    2. Kodi Smit-McPhee – The Power of the Dog
    3. Jared Leto – House of Gucci
    4. Jamie Dornan – Belfast
    5. Mark Rylance – Don’t Look Up

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

It was a cold December evening as Jason browsed over Goldderby, nearly a week after West Side Story premiered to raves. A trashy site to be sure, but the only one around with a working Oscar predictions interface. Taking a long sip of hot chocolate, he sighed and opened up the supporting actor predictions interface. Down and down he scrolled, looking for the year’s supporting actor winner. Nearly 100 men with no chances at all to be nominated are listed, but still not the year’s best supporting actor winner. “What a piece of shit”, he muttered, “I’m going to make a better website than this.”

And so came the final downfall of Goldderby. It’s told in hushed tales that Tom O’Neil could only repeat the same line when later interviewed in his ramshackle inland empire sublet, far away from the home he once knew in Hollywood. “Mike..Faist…why didn’t I just add Mike Faist.”

Yeah… I think it’s time for GoldDerby to add Mike Faist to the Best Supporting Actor list…! I mean, DRIVE MY CAR is already in the predictions forum after that NYFCC win a couple of days ago, but not Faist after 1 week of rave reviews and Best Picture heat for WSS

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Andrew W.
    Topics:

LOL, longtime user of Gold Derby but I’ve never posted in the forums before but do lurk the discussions occasionally. I came to this thread to see if it’s been discussed about why Mike Faist isn’t listed in the predictions yet so I can update my predictions to include someone who will almost certainly get nominated… and the comments have been quite amusing.

To the posters who’ve said Faist won’t get nominated and hasn’t been getting singled out in the reviews in the way that Rita, Ariana, Rachel, and David have… that’s not entirely true. Yes, the three woman have been getting raves across the board and some flat out love letters, Faist has actually been singled out by many reviews and first screening social media posts with many of rhem calling him a stand out giving a tour de force performance. I was actually surprised about how much praise he was getting in those first reactions coming out as I wasn’t expecting him to get singled out like that even though I’ve always thought he was exceptionally talented and one to watch out for. (I’ve read A LOT of the reviews, if someone wants proof I’ll do the work for you and share links… unlike another poster who seems to be clouded in their judgement that I’d be skeptical too if I didn’t read the reviews or know of the actor).

West Side Story is my favorite musical of all time so I’ve been impatiently waiting for this adaptation. I’m keenly aware of the musicals flaws, most of which are in Arthur Laurents’ book that only worked because of the genius that is Jerome Robbins. If anyone can create a cinematic adaptation of WSS that’s fresh and has purpose, it’s Spielberg, Kushner, and Peck. The only person besides Spielberg that I’d trust remaking a masterpiece would be Scorsese (with Twyla Tharp choreo).

I’m going to go out on a whim and say my long shot predictions for supporting actor are:

Kodi Smit McPhee
    Ciaran Hinds
    Richard Jenkens
    Mike Faist
    JK Simmons/Troy Kotsur/Jamie Dornan

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Ciaran Hinds – Belfast 2. Kodi Smit-McPhee – The Power of the Dog 3. Jared Leto – House of Gucci 4. Jamie Dornan – Belfast 5. Mark Rylance – Don’t Look Up

I really hope this doesn’t end up being the line up because boy oh boy…

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

I don’t watch HOG yet but Jared looks horrible at the trailer and I watched Belfast yesterday and Jamie didn’t nothing to be nominated. Yes, he is good but not for a nomination, Ciaran in a small role was better than him.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I’d like to think that Leto will surprise by *not* making it to Oscar’s final five. And I’m skeptical of any supporting contenders from DLU atm / Anne Thompson wasn’t moved to add any after seeing the film and that response feels right – for now.

I think Kotsur and Matlin do have a good shot of hitting the supporting races as intra-Ampas word of mouth for CODA helps offset any campaign deficiencies on Apple’s part.

I still believe Bernthal will coattail in as so many Ampas members will be checking out King Richard specifically for the performances of Smith and Ellis and he’ll be right there. Thompson recently restored him to her picks, but as noted Faist wasnt initially available in the prediction center but he’s there now. I think rn it’s more likely she will soon knock out Dowd to add Moreno alongside DeBose than find room for Faist – that said, if WSS starts to take on the look of a season steamroller Faist himself could get swept in.

Bernthal
    Faist
    Hinds
    Kotsur
    Smit-McPhee

As good a forecast as any for a category still so up in the air? This year seems particularly primed for an all-newbie race.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Washington DC Area Film Critics Association

Kodi Smit-McPhee won

Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

Congrats to Kodi again! More to come later today. 😉
    Gif

FYC, in all eligible categories:
    The Lost Daughter
    Passing
    The Power of the Dog

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Kodi’s slaying, as he should!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

CC, SAG, BAFTA and Oscar next please!

Profile picture
    FTomoson
    Topics:

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Ohhh. Fascinating

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

My predictions (as of now):
    1)J.K. Simmons: I’ve been hyped for this one for awhile.
    2)David Alvrez: I think this is a very award baity role and the OG won the portrayer an Oscar just saying.
    3)Jamie Dornan: Gut feeling.
    4)Kodi Smit-McPhee: Gut feeling.
    5)Al Pacino: He was amazing

Could sneak in and grab the last spot from #5 from me once I see the film:
    6)Corey Hawkins: This could be easily forgotten given the competition if he isnt a WOW
    7)Jonah Hill: see what I said for Hawkins

Edited with reasoning lol

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

My predictions (as of now): 1)J.K. Simmons 2)David Alvrez 3)Jamie Dornan 4)Kodi Smit-McPhee 5)Al Pacino Could sneak in and grab the last spot from #5 from me once I see the film: 6)Corey Hawkins 7)Jonah Hill

What

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.