Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 503 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
Setia_Yasmine..
Luca Giliberti
  • Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Has any film lost all their acting nominations when they had 4 at the Oscars?

American Hustle? They competed in 4/4 Acting Categories too

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

My Man Godfrey
    Sunset Boulevard 
    Peyton Place
    Tom Jones
    The Turning Point
    American Hustle 

There may be more but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

American Hustle but it wasn’t the best picture winner thou and all but Jennifer lost sag

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Has any

film lost all their acting nominations when they had 4 at the Oscars?

If you believe that TPOTD is winning Best Picture, then you basically have to agree that one of the 4 acting nominations will go all the way.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

If you believe that TPOTD is winning Best Picture, then you basically have to agree that one of the 4 acting nominations will go all the way.

No you don’t. Precedents get changed every year, and the preferential ballot era is bound to break some.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

I think both Kodi and Troy were equally great and they’re both deserving winners. They’re both actually in Best Picture nominated films so in my opinion they’re going head to head… If Troy Kotsur manages to win the Bafta I think I’ll predict him for the Oscars.

Profile picture
    Joe Langer
    Topics:

I was going through people’s opinions here and I’m surprised that Ciaran hinds is not being predicted by anyone. He is really strong with voters calling him the highlight of the movie. I personally loved Ms.Dench the most but he was also great. I think he also has a chance to win.

Member of the Screen Actors Guild. Inducted in 1999.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I was going through people’s opinions here and I’m surprised that Ciaran hinds is not being predicted by anyone. He is really strong with voters calling him the highlight of the movie. I personally loved Ms.Dench the most but he was also great. I think he also has a chance to win.

Didn’t get the sag nom he can’t win , he is like many vets in industry like Lesley Manville , Richard Jenkins , Sam Elliot , Richard E Grant , Jonathan Pryce type a veteran whose nom is the reward

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Weren’t you confident he would be winning a few weeks ago and said he was the standout of TPOTD💀The amount of switching is embarassing.

He also said Gaga was winning Best Actress, after HOG overperformed on BAFTA longlists.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Rocky lost all 4 of its acting bids so there’s your precedent.

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Tom Jones lost all 5 acting nominations.

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

I agree Kotsur can win but can we just stop with this obsession with the idea that the Oscars (or really any awards body) give awards based on narrative anymore? Sure there are performers who sweep with narrative on their side (Zellweger, Phoenix, Dern, Pitt, potentially even Smith this year) but in split open races the Oscars in recent years have shown to almost never vote for performances based on a narrative. Anthony Hopkins won over Chadwick Boseman, Olivia Colman won over Glenn Close, Frances McDormand won over Andra Day, Carey Mulligan, Vanessa Kirby and Viola Davis.

Yuh-jung Youn won because her performance was widely considered to be heads over the rest of her competition and she won both the SAG and BAFTA. Not because she was Korean. If Kotsur wins the BAFTA and the Oscar it will also be because of the passion for his critically raved and very deserving performance not because he’s deaf. Similar thing with whomever ends up winning the best actress race. These type of insinuations aren’t only bizarre but also distract from the reasons these strong performances are in contention in the first place.

Are people really suggesting that Troy Kotsur is winning based on narrative alone ? Most of us who are predicting him, believe ( and rightfully) that he gave an absolutely amazing perfomance that is the best in his category ( something that Chadwick didnt have in his favor). Troy isnt working on narrative alone, We just cant ignore that fact that he is deaf and that made his performance even better because he didn’t even utter a single word but still delivered a perfectly nuanced performance that was at the heart of the film, just the same way we couldnt ignore that Youn would potentially be the first Korean to win an acting award, its not narrative, its a reality or rather a fact. And while I agree that speeches might be overvalued, but to think that a speech that meaningful from a deaf actor who gave an incredible performance in a strong BP film is not going to atleast get some voters to root for him ( which in a tight race could mean alot) is false

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And while I agree that speeches might be overvalued, but to think that a speech that meaningful from a deaf actor who gave an incredible performance in a strong BP film is not going to atleast get some voters to root for him ( which in a tight race could mean alot) is false

I don’t disagree that Kotsur has a narrative nor was I suggesting he cannot win. I just don’t see why him being deaf is constantly being labelled as the reason why he would win in this category and find it frankly disrespectful considering the critically raved about and deserving performance he gave in CODA. It’s almost as if people are suggesting him winning would be a token.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

Doubt and American Hustle

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Supporting actors oscar nominees with 2+ trifectas this century. Oscar winners bolded.

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project (2017)
    Mahsershala Ali, Moonlight (2016)
    Mark Rylance, Bridge Of Spies (2015)
    J.K. Simmons, Whiplash (2014)
    Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
    Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds (2009)
    William Hurt, A History Of Violence (2005)
    Benicio Del Toro, (2000)

Feels worth mentioning that Dafoe was a lone nominee and Hurt’s movie got one other nomination. This obviously does not apply to Kodi whose movie got 12 nominations. Both also lost the globe.

Emmy Actings FYCs:
    Comedy: Bill Hader & Quinta Brunson
    Drama: Jeremy Strong & Britt Lower
    Limited: Couldn't care less

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.