Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 503 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
Setia_Yasmine..
Luca Giliberti
  • Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

He was diagnosed after these movies at age 16. TPOTD is his breakthrough and I sure hope he gets to act many years from now on but it’s not going to be easy. I wish people didn’t try to make him the big bad that stands in the way of someone like Kotsur making history. I’ve seen some pretty harsh things being said about him and his performance.

If he was diagnosed at 16, it would’ve been at 2012-2013. He wasn’t in Apes and X-Men back then.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

Only one of these happened after AFTRA. Three Billboards went 3/3 and flopped in the BP race, remaining with McDormand and Rockwell sweeps. King’s Speech, No Country For Old Men, Chicago and American Beauty won the PGA/DGA combo. Traffic won DGA and two GG awards. Inglorious Basterds had 8 noms. Gosford Park had 7. SAG loved The Help disproportionately compared to the Academy. Not saying CODA can’t keep the trend, but I’m just saying that people need to understand the context of each stat instead of accepting them as gospel.

Oh, I know. All those acting winners had a  Globe for example (which Kotsur doesn’t have), the same way all those 2+ trifecta winners had SAG (which Kodi doesn’t have) except Rylance, who didn’t have to compete with the SAG winner at the Oscars in the end. That was just a cheeky response to people bringing up trends to support their favourite while ignoring context (like you said). In a year like this, trends and patterns which rely more on coincidence like these don’t mean much.

Profile picture
    sane_one
    Topics:

Oscar just seem to favor older performers especially in the men category.  Just think they might swing more towards Kotsur due to sentimentality… Cody would have plenty more opportunities but will Troy?

but glad he at least won the SAG.  Either way both candidates at least won something 😀

rooting for Kotsur just because Coda have to win something.

Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

After listening to a podcast interview with Troy, and watching his acceptance speech, I really would love for him to win. He has already expressed that he doesn’t think he will ever have a role like this again, and I think it would help boost his career a bit more. Even with this “narrative,” he really does have the performance and it is a perfect place to award CODA. Regardless of who wins I think Kodi will undoubtedly have an incredible career ahead of him. He would also be a deserving winner, but I am hoping for Troy.

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Kodi stans were the one who brought up this whole narrative argument, no one has been predicting Troy because of his narrative, i doubt anyone even used the term narrative before the SAG awards. All over sudden we have posters ( Kodi stans) bringing up the whole ” we shouldnt be predicting him just because of narrative”. Give it a rest, the best performance will win – Troy.He does ñot need any narrative.

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Performance wise it’s Troy Kotsur. In CODA, he can make you laugh and he can make you cry. Two elements the other nominees don’t have.

My ranking:

1. Kotsur

2. Smit-McPhee

3. Hinds

4. Plemons

5. Simmons

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Performance wise it’s Troy Kotsur. In CODA, he can make you laugh and he can make you cry. Two elements the other nominees don’t have. My ranking: 1. Kotsur 2. Smit-McPhee 3. Hinds 4. Plemons 5. Simmons

Does this make a performance better or more deserving? I liked Troy but Kodi’s performance fascinates and intrigues me.

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Does this make a performance better or more deserving? I liked Troy but Kodi’s performance fascinates and intrigues me.

Both.

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

No matter who wins , it would be memorable

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Jodie Comer supremacy

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: Our Flag Means Death, Severance in all categories;
    Fin Argus in Queer As Folk

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Kodi stans were the one who brought up this whole narrative argument, no one has been predicting Troy because of his narrative, i doubt anyone even used the term narrative before the SAG awards. All over sudden we have posters ( Kodi stans) bringing up the whole ” we shouldnt be predicting him just because of narrative”. Give it a rest, the best performance will win – Troy.He does ñot need any narrative.

Kodi stans wouldn’t start if NBP Clowns were not constantly running campaign against him.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Just watch Ciarán Hinds win BAFTA and throw us into a wrench.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Kodi stans wouldn’t start if NBP Clowns were not constantly running campaign against him.

I don’t even get the hate against Kodi lol imagine if he wins the Oscar

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

It’s a bit of tough one to call especially if Kodi takes BAFTA, but I personally think Troy Kotsur might ultimately win. And even if  Kodi does win, I will very happy as well because I did like his performance very much in The Power of the Dog.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Sorry, I get that younger men struggle at the oscars but we’re talking about someone who has the globe, 2/3 of trifecta and is in the almost certain best picture winner. I actually think him losing SAG had more to do with the performance being subtle and the film having low audience scores than his age. None of those things will be a problem at BAFTA. Assuming Kodi wins BAFTA, I don’t buy for a second that Troy will be able to overcome that with just SAG. These Youn comparisons make no sense to me either. Youn literally stormed critics. Guess who has the most critic awards by a landslide here?

Exactly, not even Casey Affleck and Frances McDormand (Nomadland) could win SAG with subtle performances. Another thing is it’s clear BAFTA and AMPAS appreciated TPOTD much more than SAG did, so that’s why we should wait and see what BAFTA does before going all haywire.

Also speeches help to a certain extent, but having a good speech doesn’t mean you’ve locked the award down. Like stated in pages back, Glenn Close was having great speeches left and right and it seemed like she won the room over + the internet was acclaiming it and in the end she lost. There’s also the opposite of people like Zellweger having TERRIBLE and awkward speeches but still sweeping. Ultimately I wouldn’t hate it if Kotsur pulled it off but I think people are jumping the gun way too fast.

Janelle James' campaign manager ✨

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.