Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can’t believe the one lock in this category right now is Jared Leto, even if the film is panned. I mean he was probably 6th for The Little Things.

It makes me feel sick but if Gaga gets in, I don’t see how he doesn’t (or is so far behind).

Eww.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t reaaaaaally see why Jared Leto is a lock for this or something. I guess we can take Sacha Baron Cohen & maybe Tom Hanks as very recent precedent—but they gave very well-reviewed performances too! They weren’t like “the thing many were most iffy about from an otherwise OK film”. I’d say Al Pacino is a better bet. I get why people are predicting him but there’s other ensemble films which will have players who are reviewed better. Leto would skip over ALL the critics groups and suddenly get into televised. That just seems like it’s a case of….eh maybe, maybe not, depending on the field.

Jonah Hill for instance. Him being highlighted in the trailer seems very much like he’s a very important player, so I’d say he’d be pretty easy to ride coattails—if test audiences hadn’t already said that it was Mark Rylance who was the standout other than Leo and Streep, I would be super confident about Hill.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Lots of cases of potential co-stars overshadowing contenders in this field. I mean look at the field:

The Humans has Yeun and Jenkins
    HoG has Leto and Pacino (and more)
    TPOTD has Plemons and Smit-McPhee (great roles in different ways)
    The Tragedy of Macbeth has Hawkins and Gleeson (one is respected veteran, other seems to have better role)
    The Harder They Fall has Elba and Stanfield and Lindo (one has been snubbed too many times, another could get a surprising consecutive nod, the third the year after an acclaimed performance was snubbed)
    Don’t Look Up has Hill and Rylance (and more)
    Mass has Isaacs and Birney (all 4 actors got acclaim, though Isaacs got more)
    Nightmare Alley has Dafoe and Jenkins (Jenkins has the bigger role, Dafoe is a perennial nominee with a non-insignificant role too)

There’s just so many ensembles! Contenders who won’t have competing co-stars seem to me to be:
    Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom
    Andrew Garfield, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Toni Servillo, The Hand of God

After these three, I have to drop down to contenders who as of now seem really really really long shots. That makes it a…bit of a packed field actually contrary to what we’ve been saying here for a while. Some of these folks might even be better served going up to Lead, which doesn’t have a sure-shot first-time nominee in the field it seems.

FYC:
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Contenders who won’t have competing co-star seem to me to be: Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom Andrew Garfield, The Eyes of Tammy Faye Toni Servillo, The Hand of God After these three, I have to drop down to contenders who as of now seem really really really long shots. That makes it a…bit of a packed field actually contrary to what we’ve been saying here for a while. Some of these folks might even be better served going up to Lead, which doesn’t have a sure-shot first-time nominee in the field it seems.

As it’s been said in other threads, Cooper is very likely to compete with Benny Safdie, who may have a baitier role.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

As it’s been said in other threads, Cooper is very likely to compete with Benny Safdie, who may have a baitier role.

If neither is going Lead, that makes the chances for both of them go down… And Cooper probably won’t go lead because he’s lead in Nightmare Alley. I just assumed Benny Safdie might go lead!

FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’m now wondering if Bradley Cooper will really happen. I don’t know if this is the circumstances he’d like to win an Oscar, in a movie he isn’t the mastermind or the Leading role. He might as well focus his campaign on Nightmare Alley.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

If neither is going Lead, that makes the chances for both of them go down… And Cooper probably won’t go lead because he’s lead in Nightmare Alley. I just assumed Benny Safdie might go lead!

Cooper Hoffman will be the only leading role…

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Cooper Hoffman will be the only leading role…

Ah, gotcha. OK didn’t know that.

FYC:

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Bradley Cooper was only on set for a short time filming Soggy Bottom. His role is seemingly quite small.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. R. Jenkins (The Humans)
    2. J. Plemons (The Power of The Dog)
    3. J. Hill (Don’t Look Up)
    4. A. Garfield (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
    5. J. Leto (House of Gucci)
    or:
    5. B. Safdie (Soggy Bottom)

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

1. R. Jenkins (The Humans) 2. J. Plemons (The Power of The Dog) 3. J. Hill (Don’t Look Up) 4. A. Garfield (The Eyes of Tammy Faye) 5. J. Leto (House of Gucci) or: 5. B. Safdie (Soggy Bottom)

Leto’s accent is ridiculous, but I’m not going to underestimate him after his nominations for The Little Things.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

1. Jesse Plemons – The Power of the Dog (so glad this underappreciated actor is finally getting his due)
    2. Richard Jenkins – The Humans
    3. Jared Leto – House of Gucci
    4. Corey Hawkins – The Tragedy of Macbeth
    5. Willem Dafoe- Nightmare Alley

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Leto’s accent is ridiculous, but I’m not going to underestimate him after his nominations for The Little Things.

Yeah he seems like a safe bet for the time being. He clearly has a base of support among voters with that SAG nod for The Little Things, which I imagine will be a smaller and worse movie than Gucci. I’m not sure how transformative that performance was, but it seems to have been received as such, and obviously Gucci is more transformative, with an accent (however bad it sounds in the trailers, some will probably go for it) and heavy prosthetics. Voters lap up transformative, prosthetic-heavy roles quite often and Gucci will be a big film, so he’ll have enough exposure to get a nod. Pacino is the complicating factor for him, but I suspect Leto will be the main push and have a bigger role.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Leto in House of Gucci looks like a surefire Razzie contender. it will be interesting to see him getting nominated for both.

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Just read The Humans play… Richard Jenkins has an Oscar-worthy role if played right. I’m assuming all actors from that cast will go supporting. Technically though, if anyone were to go lead, it could be him / his character.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.