Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 504 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

5. Kodi Smit-McPhee – The Power of the Dog

6. Jesse Plemons – The Power of the Dog

The TEA about this is that Smit-McPhee could quite literally sweep the rug out from under everyone and do something with that role that renders everyone moot. It’s the kind of role Paul Dano got with There Will Be Blood (and then got really unlucky—but that doesn’t happen to everyone). Slightly different examples from older actors: Michael Shannon from Revolutionary Road or Jackie Earle Haley from Little Children.

Right now Plemons seems safer because he will most definitely be excellent and has a ton of goodwill and Smit-McPhee’s role might end up being a little too small (in terms of runtime), but this is probably the biggest unknown about the film for me overall lol.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

July predictions:

*- could go for Lead

1. Richard Jenkins – Nightmare Alley/The Humans* (it’s his year, sorry to the other boys)

2. Bradley Cooper – Soggy Bottom

3. Adam Driver – The Last Duel*

4. Al Pacino – House of Gucci

5. Kodi Smit-McPhee – The Power of the Dog

6. Jesse Plemons – The Power of the Dog

7. Willem Dafoe – Nightmare Aley/The Card Counter

8. Jason Isaacs – Mass*

9. Tituss Burgess – Respect

10. Idris Elba – The Harder They Fall

Agreed. Pretty good list!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Why are people slotting Jesse Plemons in over Kodi Smit-McPhee when everyone who has read the book says the latter has the better part? I don’t understand. Name isn’t everything.

I mean, name checking is literally the same reason why people right now are predicting Bradley Cooper for Soggy Bottom (despite having filmed for only two weeks) over Benny Safdie who seems to have a baitier and more interesting role.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

I mean, name checking is literally the same reason why people right now are predicting Bradley Cooper for Soggy Bottom (despite having filmed for only two weeks) over Benny Safdie who seems to have a baitier and more interesting role.

I don’t think the 2 are comparable though. Plemons and Smit-McPhee are pretty much on the same level (both are respected actors that have been at it for a long time [Plemons obviously for longer] but they haven’t caught that sweet awards attention yet) while Cooper is 8-time nominee Cooper and the Academy has simply never cared for tthe Safdie brothers in general (also, when was the last time someone who was primarily a film director got an acting nod?)

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

Bingo. I mean yes if you go by the book Kodi has the more interesting role  but name checking

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Cooper isn’t a name-check. Look at those stills. He literally has a gas can in his hand and has blood on his shirt and shit. Hes going to be doing a lot. Just because he filmed for two weeks doesnt mean ANYTHING. Naomie Harris shot for 3 DAYS for Moonlight, and look how big her performance was.

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Cooper isn’t a name-check. Look at those stills. He literally has a gas can in his hand and has blood on his shirt and shit. Hes going to be doing a lot. Just because he filmed for two weeks doesnt mean ANYTHING. Naomie Harris shot for 3 DAYS for Moonlight, and look how big her performance was.

Whatever man, that’s your opinion, I don’t think Cooper will be nominated for this regardless.

1. Richard Jenkins (The Humans)
    2. Al Pacino (House of Gucci)
    3. Jesse Plemons (The Power of The Dog)
    4. Mark Rylance (Don’t Look Up)
    5. Andrew Garfield (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

My Picks Updated:
    1)Pacino
    2)Gleeson
    3)Alvarez
    4)DeFoe
    5)Garfield

Who I want the nominees to be:
    1)Pacino
    2)Gleeson
    3)Garfield
    4)Alvarez
    5)Elba

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I’m gonna stan Dune again. While Acting for this movie is dismissed here, Skarsgaard has a juicy villain role (and prosthetic gimmick that they love) and Isaac received praise for his (boring af in the book but apaprently not here) character who, at least in the book, is pretty much a co-lead in the first part. So he’d have a lot to show. Not gonna get completely wedded to Dune Acting noms (this category and Ferguson in Supporting Actress) but I’m not dismissing the potential.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I’m gonna stan Dune again. While Acting for this movie is dismissed here, Skarsgaard has a juicy villain role (and prosthetic gimmick that they love) and Isaac received praise for his (boring af in the book but apaprently not here) character who, at least in the book, is pretty much a co-lead in the first part. So he’d have a lot to show. Not gonna get completely wedded to Dune Acting noms (this category and Ferguson in Supporting Actress) but I’m not dismissing the potential.

Word from the screenings/script is that Skaarsgard has a great presence but is only scarcely in the movie, one kind of set-up scene and that scene. And Skarsgaard said his time filming the film was really short, only just over a week (which going by the book makes sense). So as much as I’m sure he’ll have a great impact, I don’t know if it’s enough. He might have more luck in the second film. Although people do love a showy villain and prosthetics.

I agree that if DUNE does juggernaut and accumulates the hype WB clearly thinks it can, we can’t dismiss that momentum slipping in an acting nom somewhere. But also caveat that I, too, am stanning Dune.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Word from the screenings/script is that Skaarsgard has a great presence but is only scarcely in the movie, one kind of set-up scene and that scene. And Skarsgaard said his time filming the film was really short, only just over a week (which going by the book makes sense). So as much as I’m sure he’ll have a great impact, I don’t know if it’s enough. He might have more luck in the second film. Although people do love a showy villain and prosthetics. I agree that if DUNE does juggernaut and accumulates the hype WB clearly thinks it can, we can’t dismiss that momentum slipping in an acting nom somewhere. But also caveat that I, too, am stanning Dune.

This is good to know about Skarsgaard cause THAT scene is what made Baron Harkonnen so iconic. But if the role is really small, than all is down to THAT scene since such scenes were enough to get some other actors in very limited roles in. We’ll see what happens. Isaac is also in the running here with much bigger role. I initially dismissed Duke Leto cause he was the least interesting in the book and Dune adaptations (Lynch and Sy Fy mini) but praise from the screening made me rethink him.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

• Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom
    • Willem Dafoe, The Card Counter
    • Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall
    • Richard Jenkins, The Humans/Nightmare Alley
    • Al Pacino, House of Gucci

Profile picture
    Isaac_Morris
    Topics:

Best Supporting Actor

Richard Jenkins – Nightmare Alley

Bradley Cooper – Soggy Bottom

Brendan Gleeson – The Tragedy of Macbeth

Idris Elba – The Harder They Fall

Adam Driver – The Last Duel

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

This is good to know about Skarsgaard cause THAT scene is what made Baron Harkonnen so iconic. But if the role is really small, than all is down to THAT scene since such scenes were enough to get some other actors in very limited roles in. We’ll see what happens. Isaac is also in the running here with much bigger role. I initially dismissed Duke Leto cause he was the least interesting in the book and Dune adaptations (Lynch and Sy Fy mini) but praise from the screening made me rethink him.

First of all, how dare you say that about the noble Duke Leto and Jürgen Prochnow!? I won’t defend William Hurt, lol.

But yeah, I could see this. In addition to that screening praise, Villeneuve also hyped his performance in some interview. The role of Leto has been small in previous adaptations, but because the movie is half the book it should elevate the focus and import of his character because he has a ton of narrative weight in that first half. Plus, it’s a juicy role in that he’ll have to carry some of the most emotionally critical scenes in the film (including that scene).

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

SUPER EARLY PREDICTIONS

Best Supporting Actor
    Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom
    Andrew Garfield, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Richard Jenkins, The Humans
    Al Pacino, House of Gucci
    Jesse Plemmons, The Power of the Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.