Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 504 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I mean, I guess. The entire movie is just such an enigma for me so I can’t unequivocally say one thing or another. I was really rocked by the title, and I’m still reeling from it lol. But I guess A Fish Called Wanda won an acting Oscar and got a director nom and a screenplay nom, and that’s definitely a weird title too so…

A great comedy film, and I don’t recall anything about that odd but perfect title getting in the way of its awards season success. And Phantom Thread was more than a little opaque itself.

Plus a good chunk of Ampas’s older-school West Coast voters likely recall well the record chain Licorice Pizza so it will “click.” Young’uns and East Coasters and others will need to be schooled – I’m in that camp.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Frontrunner

Richard Jenkins, The Humans

Next in line

Bradley Cooper, Licorice Pizza
    Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    Jared Leto, House of Gucci

On the brink

Corey Hawkins, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Andrew Garfield, The Eyes of Tammy Faye*
    Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
    Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall

Strong possibilities

Adam Driver, The Last Duel
    Benny Safdie, Licorice Pizza
    J.K. Simmons, Being the Ricardos
    Mark Rylance, Don’t Look Up
    Jamie Dornan, Belfast*

Possibilities

Steven Yeun, The Humans
    Jonah Hill, Don’t Look Up
    Jason Isaacs, Mass
    Willem Dafoe, Nightmare Alley
    Rami Malek, No Time to Die

Longer shots

Forest Whitaker, Respect
    Willem Dafoe, The Card Counter
    Lakeith Stanfield, The Harder They Fall
    Timothee Chalamet, The French Dispatch
    Simon Helberg, Annette
    Al Pacino, House of Gucci
    Jeremy Irons, House of Gucci
    Toni Servillo, The Hand of God
    Delroy Lindo, The Harder They Fall
    Robin de Jesus, Tick, Tick… Boom!
    Javier Bardem, Dune
    Bradley Whitford, Tick, Tick… Boom!
    Brendan Gleeson, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Theoretical possibilities

Richard E. Grant, Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
    Reed Birney, Mass
    Colman Domingo, Zola
    David Alvarez, West Side Story
    Kelvin Harrison, Jr., Cyrano
    Timothee Chalamet, Don’t Look Up
    Jason Momoa, Dune
    Danny DeVito, The Survivor
    John Leguizamo, The Survivor
    Marlon Wayans, Respect
    Vincent D’Onorfio, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Colin Firth, Mothering Sunday

* Unless they go lead

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Two considerations:

1. If Licorice Pizza (lool) really happens, apparently Safdie is more likely to happen than Cooper, so i’m kinda tired with predictions who put Cooper even in second position among the frontrunners.

2. I can see Dornan having huge chances of taking a nomination in Lead, even as a fifth spot.

As i said before, Isaac is done, and Dinklage’s hype post Telluride is quickly waning, and i don’t see them going with Phoenix with a more quiet performance in a A24 indie right after the Oscar win.
    Plus, regarding Nightmare Alley, even if it becomes well received, i could see easily see it becoming the women’s show, and thus the women in it (Blanchett and/or Mara) outshine Cooper and him being passed over in the conversation for the top 5 nominees.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ll be honest. I was on the Cooper nomination train, and that Safdie had a chance too. But now with that title… I dunno. Can a movie called “Licorice Pizza” get an acting nomination lol. It’s totally arbitrary, but it’s enough for me to lose confidence in its acting nomination prospects. It just *seems* like a directing/screenwriting title and not an acting title…

As if “Soggy Bottom” was much better lmao

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Richard Jenkins will finally begin this race at The Humans premiere today.

Been waiting so long to get some reactions to this one.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

If The Humans is not a contender at all, this category becomes a full question mark.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

– Jenkins is a slam dunk here and if he DOESN’T sweep the critics I will be surprised AFFFFFF.

– On my 3rd post-TPOTD day, I am back on my shit and saying: I think Jesse Plemons may be the MVP. He gave the most important structural support to the film! Without him, Benedict may never have felt natural. Without him, any sense of kindness with Rose would’ve been gone. Also, he’s a FRUSTRATING character. Like……WHY AREN’T YOU GETTING ITTTT.

– Totally think Kodi is the surest lock, but Jesse was AMAZING, and it’s gonna be sad to see him lose out because the more I think about it the more I think he was needed to establish the film’s natural-ness and he did it……effortlessly! Without me noticing the first time. Ugh I hate that he might get snubbed for, I dunno, fucking Luigi in HoG.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

– Jenkins is a slam dunk here and if he DOESN’T sweep the critics I will be surprised AFFFFFF. – On my 3rd post-TPOTD day, I am back on my shit and saying: I think Jesse Plemons may be the MVP. He gave the most important structural support to the film! Without him, Benedict may never have felt natural. Without him, any sense of kindness with Rose would’ve been gone. Also, he’s a FRUSTRATING character. Like……WHY AREN’T YOU GETTING ITTTT. – Totally think Kodi is the surest lock, but Jesse was AMAZING, and it’s gonna be sad to see him lose out because the more I think about it the more I think he was needed to establish the film’s natural-ness and he did it……effortlessly! Without me noticing the first time. Ugh I hate that he might get snubbed for, I dunno, fucking Luigi in HoG.

Sorry for saying this, but only literary critics (and to a letter extent movie critics) think about structure in that way…

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Sorry for saying this, but only literary critics (and to a letter extent movie critics) think about structure in that way…

Lol, you really called me out (I’m a lit critic). Okay no but forget structure. The very first few scenes — if Jesse hadn’t been there, it would’ve all looked a bit wonky. He’s definitely the character who doesn’t really change, but in a way he’s the one character who is truly truly truly supporting in that without his help the other 3 characters’ stories don’t work. It’s not surprising also, bc he’s a great actor and this was, for him, a slam-dunk part.

But yeah Oscars don’t award TRUE supporting characters who are there to truly hold up the story & other characters (sometimes it happens…like Dern, but she chewed scenery. Regina King may be a good comparison, maybe Woody Harrelson in 3BB). But not often enough.

FYC:

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Plemons is OUT. No way he gets in for that nothing performance, sorry but it could have literally been played by anyone and he brought nothing to the table.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Plemons is OUT. No way he gets in for that nothing performance, sorry but it could have literally been played by anyone and he brought nothing to the table.

Just think about it for a few days. Took me 3!

FYC:

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Thank god Leto isnt frontrunner anymore (especially if the positive words on The Humans are true)

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Thank god Leto isnt frontrunner anymore (especially if the positive words on The Humans are true)

This one twitter pundit keeps pushing that Jenkins is “not happening” even though critics and plenty of other pundits say he knocks it out of the park and is incredibly moving.  I think he is absolutely in since he is getting excellent notices and the field is quite dead. Cmon Academy Award winner Richard Jenkins.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Two considerations: 1. If Licorice Pizza (lool) really happens, apparently Safdie is more likely to happen than Cooper, so i’m kinda tired with predictions who put Cooper even in second position among the frontrunners. 2. I can see Dornan having huge chances of taking a nomination in Lead, even as a fifth spot. As i said before, Isaac is done, and Dinklage’s hype post Telluride is quickly waning, and i don’t see them going with Phoenix with a more quiet performance in a A24 indie right after the Oscar win. Plus, regarding Nightmare Alley, even if it becomes well received, i could see easily see it becoming the women’s show, and thus the women in it (Blanchett and/or Mara) outshine Cooper and him being passed over in the conversation for the top 5 nominees.

Of course, the basis to base your predictions on.

I mean, I just feel like the hate for Cooper on these threads is so hyperbolic.

And, realistically, Cooper is more likely for Liqorice Pizza. Based on the trailer leaks, it seems like he has the biggest supporting role and will be giving quite a “BIG” performance, if you like. I feel like Safdie’s will have to be much subtler.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

This one twitter pundit keeps pushing that Jenkins is “not happening” even though critics and plenty of other pundits say he knocks it out of the park and is incredibly moving. I think he is absolutely in since he is getting excellent notices and the field is quite dead. Cmon Academy Award winner Richard Jenkins.

I feel like he’ll probably get nominated, but the film might not be big enough to lead him to win… like all other Best Supporting Actor winners in recent years have been in films with Picture nominations. The last one that wasn’t in a BP Nominee was Christopher Plummer in Beginners, I think?

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.