Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 504 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

talk to amy adams in 2016

Wow you demolished my whole argument with one example. Good on you for trying your best.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Dafoe supposedly is barely in Nightmare Alley.

Really? That’s surprising. Given the source material. The female supporting cast members are definitely much more prominent, that’s true.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

This is getting tough for me me, but I just changed to: Richard Jenkins, The Humans Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog Willem Dafoe, Nightmare Alley Bradley Cooper, Soggy Bottom Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog Because the predictions centre doesn’t have Kodi Smit-McPhee yet, I put Alessandro Nivola, The Many Saints of Newark, because I think the film could be a quiet success and Nivola gets in as the standout (I think).

I think you should consider Benny Safdie for Soggy Bottom. His part seems quite baity as he is playing a politician who is also a closseted gay. He may even end up being stronger than Cooper.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Really? That’s surprising. Given the source material. The female supporting cast members are definitely much more prominent, that’s true.

I’ve heard Richard Jenkins has the much bigger male supporting role, especially if the focus is on the later half of the book that Blanchett’s character is more prominent in.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Out of the 4 acting categories, this one is the hardest to predict atm

On the contrary I think this one is the easiest:

Isaacs – Mass

Cooper – Soggy Bottom

Plemmons – The Power of The Dog

Jenkins – The Humans or Nightmare Alley

Whitford – tick, tick…Boom!

They all seem safe so far. Lead Actress with 10 possible contenders fighting for 5 slots is much harder to predict.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

On the contrary I think this one is the easiest: Isaacs – Mass Cooper – Soggy Bottom Plemmons – The Power of The Dog Jenkins – The Humans or Nightmare Alley Whitford – tick, tick…Boom! They all seem safe so far. Lead Actress with 10 possible contenders fighting for 5 slots is much harder to predict.

Jesse Plemons and Bradley Whitford are not safe in the slightest. Plemons’s performance will be a more subtle performance that will certaintly be outshown by Cumberbatch, Dunst and even Smit-McPhee. Whitford would be a co-tail nom that requires Tick Tick Boom to be a formidable contender for him to get in.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

On the contrary I think this one is the easiest: Isaacs – Mass Cooper – Soggy Bottom Plemmons – The Power of The Dog Jenkins – The Humans or Nightmare Alley Whitford – tick, tick…Boom! They all seem safe so far. Lead Actress with 10 possible contenders fighting for 5 slots is much harder to predict.

Why would they seem safe? Isaacs is in a movie with a terrible distributor that always flops, Cooper is rumored to have a small role, and Whitford is in a movie that could easily go nowhere (and his role would likely be very small if the movie follows what I understand the plot of the play is).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

A24 is apparently not prioritising The Humans so if Jenkins is getting in it’ll be for NA.

Whitford? Not safe at all. Haven’t seen any chatter about him.

Cooper maybe (though his role is pretty small and Benny Safdie could get in for the PTA), Isaacs has Bleecker Street so probably going nowhere. Plemons is probably getting in but Smit-McPhee could also do it for TPOTD.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Plemons’s performance will be a more subtle performance that will certaintly be outshown by Cumberbatch, Dunst and even Smit-McPhee.

Mmmmmm yes but he has the screen time. It is a subtle performance because he’s the quiet, kind brother i.e. the opposite of Cumberbatch’s character Phil, but just by dint of his screen time, I think he’s a safe bet if the movie lands. It is a role he can do in his sleep and he’ll be great and because it’s a principal character, he’ll get in. Smit-McPhee is in my predictions—that character straight up steals the end of the film. But will he do a great job? Unsure. Plemons does seem safe to me. It’s a very “Supporting Actor” role actually. Paul Raci, Sam Elliott (A Star is Born), Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project), Mahershala Ali (Moonlight). In a dark, violent film, Plemons’ kind character will be an anomaly.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Definitely think Kodi Smit-McPhee is getting in. Yep. Two Supporting Actor nods from TPOTD. The roles are that good. I hope Smit-McPhee delivers, but I have no doubt about Plemons.

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

With The Humans being announced at TIFF, I will bang the drum for Richard Jenkins. His role in the film won Reed Birney a Tony when it was on Broadway, and it’s an extraordinarily baitty role. Dare I say baittier than any other Supporting Actor contender as of today. I suggest watching clips of The Humans being performed on YouTube and picturing Richard Jenkins doing Reed Birney’s part. Jenkins is a really great actor, so if he pulls it off, he will be a force.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

With The Humans being announced at TIFF, I will bang the drum for Richard Jenkins. His role in the film won Reed Birney a Tony when it was on Broadway, and it’s an extraordinarily baitty role. Dare I say baittier than any other Supporting Actor contender as of today. I suggest watching clips of The Humans being performed on YouTube and picturing Richard Jenkins doing Reed Birney’s part. Jenkins is a really great actor, so if he pulls it off, he will be a force.

I’d love that! Jenkins is a splendid actor, I never could forget his performance in The Visitor, he was Oscar worthy (also for The Shape of Water).

2022 Award Season, FYC:

Best Picture: TITANE, L'EVENEMENT
    Best Director: JULIA DUCOURNAU
    Best Actress: JODIE COMER
    Best Actor: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
    Best Supporting Actress: ANN DOWD, TONI COLLETTE
    Best Supporting Actor: WILLEM DAFOE, RICHARD JENKINS

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’d echo others in saying none of these seems safe. Mass has distributor obstacles, no idea how TT…B! will pan out given Netflix’s big slate, quite a few have said Cooper will have a small-ish role in Soggy Bottom and possibly be overshadowed by Safdie. I think Jenkins will get in for one of the two. Plemmons I can’t say, unsure on the role in the source material although if the film is popular I do see him getting in. The Actress categories are difficult because of uncertain category placements but this one is probably the most difficult I think – on top of these you have Pacino, Driver, Safdie, Dafoe, Hawkins, Gleeson, Rylance and more, with nobody really seeming likelier than anyone else.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I heard that Focus isn’t planning much of a campaign for that movie because of Paul Schrader’s recent… comments. Take that as you will

Regardless of Focus’s campaign on the movie overall, if it’s good enough, i can see both Isaac and Dafoe pulling an Ethan Hawke, and thus get Spirit and Gotham nominations at the very least.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.