Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 502 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
kaziz
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Caitriona Balfe gives a better performance than the current 5 nominees. It’s a tragedy she’s snubbed AGAIN. Americans hate Irish people or what?!!

Rooting for Kirsten Dunst now.

Jessie Buckley is Irish lol

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Honestly though like how can you watch any of Ellis, Buckley, Dench and think they were better and more memorable than Negga? I know it’s subjective but someone let me know…

I preferred both Buckley and Dench to Negga. Negga’s problem was that she would be a sole nominee for Passing. Kristen Stewart is this year’s only sole (acting) nominee but Spencer was competitive in several other categories, Passing was not. I do prefer Negga to both Dunst and Ellis though.

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

So many weird things happened today, I kinda wanna sit back and just wait for the moment DeBose loses this. I can see that happening. I would say everybody else but Buckley has a shot. I’m specifically looking at Dench right now.

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

I know but in general. They can’t nominate two Irish actresses. Balfe is always nominated everywhere but never the Emmys or the Oscars. Makes no sense.

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

I have a really weird feeling of Judi Dench. Really weird

Yes, me too. This nomination out of nowhere and the fact that she’s the biggest name in this category by a mile is making me worried.

Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

Negga’s snub is actually nasty. Dench over Balfe too? What a joke.

Happy for Buckley though.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

What a great person.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

lol, fr all this time I thought she’s Scottish

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Have we considered the possibility that Aunjanue and Buckley could have been top two at the BAFTA ? That would literally change the state of the race

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

I always thought that people predicting Negga to win as a lone nominee were hopedicting but I never thought she’d get snubbed. Can’t believe she made SAG but missed oscars.

Everything Everywhere All At Once & Renaissance sweep truther

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yes, me too. This nomination out of nowhere and the fact that she’s the biggest name in this category by a mile is making me worried.

I mean… maybe, depending on how the campaign goes because post-nominations, things shift.

But I certainly don’t see why her being the biggest name matters. She’s the only prior Oscar winner, veterans who’ve never won before have a bigger legacy of winning here, Dunst is a big name, ingenues can win and have won, and people as big as Glenn Close, Kathy Bates, Amy Adams, Nicole Kidman, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep didn’t exactly stand in the way of Yuh-Jung Youn, Laura Dern, Regina King, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, Patricia Arquette, despite being arguably “bigger” names. Any of the winners were also known “veterans” like Dunst & Ellis, some were ingenues, and most critically: all of the last 10 winners were Top 2 with critics awards.

I’m going to lean DeBose/Dunst because of that clear trend, but I am curious as to why you feel this way (genuinely, not sarcastically). Do you feel this way because they want to award Dench because…they may not get to again? If so, well… she’s still working. If you feel this way because of the strength of Belfast, it’s long been thought Ciaran Hinds had the edge there. Generally speaking, a former Supporting Actress winner tends to get her second win in Lead, one argument for DeBose has often been that it’s where WSS will be rewarded, and Dench is still consistently working, I don’t see why Belfast is like her apotheosis or something.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I was suspecting Balfe could miss, but it was just a feeling, not a reasonable argument behind it, so I put her fifth. On the other hand, I was certain Negga is safe, so I had her second. Buckley is really a wonderful surprise.

Balfe very likely missed because voters assumed she’s lead, I don’t see a better explanation. The Academy should really fix this.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I’m so happy for Dench and Ellis!!!!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

and Dench is still consistently working,

Dench is pushing 90. It is not unreasonable to suggest she will retire within the next few years and this may be the last time they can nominate her.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.