Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 502 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Manav
kaziz
FilmRoyalty
  • Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I hate that Negga missed. But I do believe that she will definitely be back at some point

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I know it’s very early to analyze, but the Balfe snub doesn’t make any sense lol

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

❤❤❤

Profile picture
    superbrats
    Topics:

I mean… maybe, depending on how the campaign goes because post-nominations, things shift. But I certainly don’t see why her being the biggest name matters. She’s the only prior Oscar winner, veterans who’ve never won before have a bigger legacy of winning here, Dunst is a big name, ingenues can win and have won, and people as big as Glenn Close, Kathy Bates, Amy Adams, Nicole Kidman, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep didn’t exactly stand in the way of Yuh-Jung Youn, Laura Dern, Regina King, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, Patricia Arquette, despite being arguably “bigger” names. Any of the winners were also known “veterans” like Dunst & Ellis, some were ingenues, and most critically: all of the last 10 winners were Top 2 with critics awards. I’m going to lean DeBose/Dunst because of that clear trend, but I am curious as to why you feel this way (genuinely, not sarcastically). Do you feel this way because they want to award Dench because…they may not get to again? If so, well… she’s still working. If you feel this way because of the strength of Belfast, it’s long been thought Ciaran Hinds had the edge there. Generally speaking, a former Supporting Actress winner tends to get her second win in Lead, one argument for DeBose has often been that it’s where WSS will be rewarded, and Dench is still consistently working, I don’t see why Belfast is like her apotheosis or something.

What is making me worried she could win is the fact she got nominated instead of Balfe. Like, they went for the name recognition instead of performance here. WSS isn’t as strong as I imagined it would be and DeBose is a newcomer. She doesn’t have the long career that people like Laura Dern, Regina King, Viola Davis and Patricia Arquette have. As for Dunst, I’m worried the Academy doesn’t take her seriously enough, considering this is the first time they nominate her.

I’m still officially betting on DeBose for the win, I’m just worried they would namecheck Dench because of how respected in the industry she is.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I will take ANY Judi Dench nomination. She is one of the best actresses of all time

Profile picture
    m_butterfly
    Topics:

I wonder if some were confused about Catriona’s placement in lead or supporting on the ballot like LaKeith last year? And she didn’t get enough votes in either, while Judi Dench was clearly supporting and of course she’s Judi Dench on top of that.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I wonder if some were confused about Catriona’s placement in lead or supporting on the ballot like LaKeith last year? And she didn’t get enough votes in either, while Judi Dench was clearly supporting and of course she’s Judi Dench on top of that.

If true, that does make sense. Wonderfully happy for Dench, but Balfe missing is just too head-scratchingly hard to understand. She gave the best Supporting performance of the year, in my opinion. Hopefully we’ll see her nominated some day soon…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

LOL to those who ARROGANTLY said that Dunst was being snubbed and Balfe was an autonomination!

By the way, we didn’t take seriously that AACTA win for Judi Dench and it backfired. You never know what is a signal for something to come and what is not, especially with this new irrelevant BAFTA!

So sad for Ruth Negga. I was really hoping for her nomination. I think that movie resonates for many people even outside of US. Maybe Netflix had too much on their hands with Dog, DLU, TLD, TTB and “Passing” got left behind?

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I wasn’t a fan of “Belfast” but if there was one thing that needed to be highlighted in the movie it was Caitriona Balfe. Not Hinds, not Dench, not Dornan, not Jude Hill. She was the best in the movie: she elevated a somewhat-stereotypical mother role as much as she could.

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

i sincerely hope Caitríona continues to get good roles and that we get to hear her name in awards contention again soon

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

You’re the sweetest, thanks so much for the warmth <33333 Back at ya! Yep. That’s exactly right. We’d been talking about Dunst’s many brilliant performances for years before she got this, in another brilliant performance, which is why it feels so good! Same as with any underrated brilliant actor. In a terrible, terrible way, Negga is fortunate to have broken in once against all odds for another brilliant performance (Loving), but I think what Passing has done (apart from being the stealth masterpiece that people will all ADMIT to doing dirty in about 5 years) is establish her as an actor of unimaginable range and empathy and sheer magnetism. It’s done that for Thompson too, but Negga got more attention. I feel very good about her future career because of what she did in Passing, but whenever she wins (I’d bet this decade for sure), it just may not be AS BRILLIANT as what she did here. And that’s fine… But because I care more performances from a cinema history/”this is masterful right now” perspective & not a cult of personality perspective, it does really suck to see this performance get snubbed. If literally anybody else had given it, I would’ve felt the same. It’s bittersweet, but films like Passing have long lives 🙂

This this this. So excited to see what Negga does next (in fact, I’ll be seeing her on Broadway as Lady M this spring, so I’m quite over the moon about that).

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I doubt Judi Dench was a complete namecheck. Older demographics really took to her role (when I watched Belfast with my family,my brother and I preferred Balfe but my parents and grandparents preferred Dench). Balfe missed because of vote split in two different categories and because of a lack of #1 votes for her.

And yes,I think Judi Dench is winning this. Many would think it’s last time to honor her and her role has a lot of appeal to older demographics (who really relate to her and Hinds’ roles). Although wouldn’t be surprised if Dunst wins in a TPOTD wave.

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Not only Netflix but also pundits. All of them were hyping up CODA at Sundance just because they wanted to push a “crowdpleaser” when an excellent critically lauded film starring an Academy Award nominee and with a cast and crew of people with established awards pedigrees was high there.

Yes Passing should have come out of Sundance with a much stronger reception – including on GD and its odds boards.

That said, the Gothams tilting their hats in the direction of rival Netflix pic Lost Daughter when the two films were facing off in several categories was even more of a bad omen for Passing than acknowledged at the time.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

So we have 4 first-time nominees and one former winner who is nominated for an 8th time! (:

tbh I had never heard of Aunjanue Ellis before King Richard. Yes, I have seen her in many movies but she was always in such small roles.

I have seen Jessie Buckley in several movies and am just so happy about her surprise nomination! She was so brilliant! Her nomination makes me think Olivia Colman has a really strong chance of winning Best Actress too.

Judi Dench is my all-time favorite British actress so I am over the moon!

I remember Kirsten Dunst when she was a child in Interview with the Vampire and particularly loved her in Fargo (season 2). While I didn’t care for her drunk scenes in Dog she’s a very good actress who has finally gotten an Oscar nomination.

Ariana DeBose deserves to win and I am predicting her to win. She is simply amazing in West Side Story!

I think Balfe might win BAFTA ironically enough. and DeBose will win SAG imo, but who knows? Everything has been topsy-turvy this entire awards season.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.