Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 509 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I find it more difficult to predict the best supporting nominations at this stage, because it requires looking more into the plot or the source material. I am only sure about Kirsten Dunst: she’s overdue for at least a nomination and she has a great role.

1. Kirsten Dunst (“The Power of the Dog”)
    2. Ann Dowd (“Mass”)
    3. Frances McDormand (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”)
    4. Ariana DeBose (“West Side Story”)
    5. Ruth Negga (“Passing”)
    6. Rooney Mara (“Nightmare Alley”)
    7. Toni Collette (“Nightmare Alley”)
    8. Marlee Matlin (“CODA”)
    9. Jane Houdyshell (“The Humans”)
    10. Martha Plimpton (“Mass”)

I’d definitely add Buckley & Johnson here. FWIW: Dakota Johnson has a significantly bigger role than Buckley’s & it’s an independent character who is interesting in her own separate right, whereas Buckley playing the younger version of Olivia Colman may well be subsumed by Colman. Until I see reviews, I won’t see a reason for Buckley over Johnson tbh.

Packed category, but WSS, Nightmare Alley, Don’t Look Up & The Tragedy of Macbeth coming so late, we may not get clarity on it for some time.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I want Ann Dowd to happen so much, but it’s true that it sounds like a bleak movie if there is one. I don’t know if people want to see that right now.

The right list might be Rooney Mara or Toni Collette for “Nightmare Alley” (not both) and Jessie Buckley or Dakota Johnson for “The Lost Daughter”. Let’s hope to get trailers soon!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With Collette, Houdyshell, Dunst, Mara, Streep, Johnson, Buckley, DeBose, Dowd, and Negga in this race, is Matlin actually a real contender lol? It seems like a charming role, but in the top five compared to these ten?…

My problem with Matlin is that whilst she does have a “comeback narrative” the passion for her performance is more secondary than that of her film and the film’s lead’s star making performance. I think she’ll get in at some of the precursors (CC and BAFTA specifically) but she’ll miss the Oscar nomination in the end unless the film ends up being a Picture nominee or Jones breaks into the best actress race.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Until I see reviews, I won’t see a reason for Buckley over Johnson tbh.

I think most predict are predicting Buckley over Johnson because of their acting capabilities. Buckley is much a stronger actress and was incredible and nomination worthy in Wild Rose and I’m Thinking of Ending Things. While Dakota Johnson’s acting was never much of a highlight in her films like Suspiria (Swinton and Mia Goth definitely stole her thunder), The Peanut Butter Falcon,  and Bad Times at the El Royale. Of course this is personally opinion but I think a lot of people share the same sentiments or perhaps they think Buckley is more overdue than Johnson. For all we know Dakota Johnson may have delivered a powerhouse performance in The Lost Daughter in a radical turn for her acting career.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Buckley is much a stronger actress and was incredible and nomination win worthy in Wild Rose

Fixed it for you!

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

Buckley 100% deserved a nom for I’m thinking of ending things.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Fixed it for you!

Agreed darling. She was electric in that film. I would have replaced her with so many of the contenders of that weak actress lineup we got…

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Dunst, you’re my girl. You’re making me buy that book.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Agreed darling. She was electric in that film. I would have replaced her with so many of the contenders of that weak actress lineup we got…

The way I literally only kept Zellweger from the actual lineup in my personal awards that year…

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m reading Passing and think Ruth Negga could be perfectly cast as Clare, can’t wait to see this movie!

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Ruth Negga’s role SCREAMS Oscar. If it’s a transformative, socially relevant, scene stealing part then she shouldn’t be underestimated. Especially since sis has been nominated in the past.

Profile picture
    Coltrane
    Topics:

I wanted to spill something about “The Lost Daughter” because I’ve seen it 🙂

Profile picture
    2020felling1
    Topics:

👂

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think most predict are predicting Buckley over Johnson over Buckley because of their acting capabilities. Buckley is much a stronger actress and was incredible and nomination worthy in Wild Rose and I’m Thinking of Ending Things. While Dakota Johnson’s acting was never much of a highlight in her films like Suspiria (Swinton and Mia Goth definitely stole her thunder), The Peanut Butter Falcon, and Bad Times at the El Royale. Of course this is personally opinion but I think a lot of people share the same sentiments or perhaps they think Buckley is more overdue than Johnson. For all we know Dakota Johnson may have delivered a powerhouse performance in The Lost Daughter in a radical turn for her acting career.

Fixed it for you!

I got a lot of my tea from our DMs, Coltrane lol

I agree with you crabby and wolfali—Jessie Buckley is an incredible, electric performer. I do get the sense that she’s more of a cinephile-fave because at the end of the day her films were almost all indies. She’s certainly not like a breakout star at the level of like…Anya Taylor-Joy, but she doesn’t need to be to get a nomination.

Johnson’s interesting. I think she’s pretty good. I thought Suspiria was a mess and nobody really stood out, but I appreciated Johnson taking the risk + it was a radical shift in the kind of role we’ve come to expect from her. She’s got range—I don’t think she needs to prove that. She’s obviously more widely-known than Buckley, even outside 50 Shades, because of Black Mass, Bad Times at the El Royale, How to be Single, 21 Jump Street, various rom-coms. I’ve yet to be bowled over by her like with Buckley, but I would definitely not be surprised if she was fantastic—I did actually love her in A Bigger Splash, where frankly she made a bigger impression than Tilda Swinton & Ralph Fiennes because she…I dunno, it’s like she’s been using 50 Shades to wink-wink at that over-sexualized persona. People also seem to think she’s……….obviously better than Jamie Dornan. Kinda like the reverse of the Pattinson/Stewart situation.

So I think both of them are more than capable. Buckley has some baity scenes, for sure, but she just has a much smaller role & I think Colman’s the biggest beneficiary here. Johnson is a different character and Colman (while spiraling) befriends her and her daughter, we get to see Johnson’s family, we get to know all kinds of things about her as a mother, about her drama with family, her love life etc. etc. And the relationship with Colman is volatile. It’s a much more substantial part. From past multiple nominees, maybe the best comparison is Chastain & Spencer from The Help: both are scene-stealing parts, one is much bigger than the other. It’s not even a case of Amy Adams and Viola Davis in Doubt where Johnson’s character is as subtle as Adams was, it’s not a particularly subtle or reserved role in the book. I prefer Buckley as an actor myself, but I think Johnson’s role is bigger & better so for me I……can’t decide between them right now. I’ll have to wait till the reviews.

Also Buckley has an AMAZING part in next year’s Women Talking with Frances McDormand, Claire Foy, Rooney Mara. That is a fantabulous role even if it’s a big ensemble with everybody in all scenes. Buckley’s inevitable!

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Spill in DMs

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.