Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    sundin114
    Topics:

There certainly does seem to be a Meryl backlash happening, but she continues to find ways to revive and sustain her career. Perhaps McDormand winning her third will help lay the groundwork for a narrative to win her fourth? I do think she deserves to tie Katherine Hepburn.

Her “hip and different” performance in Adaptation sparked her run of nominations throughout the ’00s to date because it was such a departure from her 90s workload – her utter fascination over a dial tone while high on drugs is maybe my favourite scene.

She needs another role that can surprise the masses again. I’d like to see her work with Cuaron, Anderson, Del Toro or even Nolan.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Meryl will win a 4th when she announces retirement.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m just gonna throw it out there that Jayne Houdyshell is not to be underestimated. Her character in The Humans is very complex and has a lot of heart. She should not be 5 in the odds because she has a very good chance at winning in all honesty.

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’m not convinced that Kirsten Dunst will be supporting. A Jane Campion movie without a strong female lead would be weird and there are other women in TPOFD who could fill the category (Frances Conroy, Thomasin McKenzie).

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m not convinced that Kirsten Dunst will be supporting. A Jane Campion movie without a strong female lead would be weird and there are other women in TPOFD who could fill the category (Frances Conroy, Thomasin McKenzie).

Yeah I just can’t see it. For Campion to make such a film would be so…not like Campion, but more than that, the material is also that of a co-lead lol, I keep saying this and no one believes me 😭 (jk)

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

There certainly does seem to be a Meryl backlash happening, but she continues to find ways to revive and sustain her career. Perhaps McDormand winning her third will help lay the groundwork for a narrative to win her fourth? I do think she deserves to tie Katherine Hepburn.

Her “hip and different” performance in Adaptation sparked her run of nominations throughout the ’00s to date because it was such a departure from her 90s workload – her utter fascination over a dial tone while high on drugs is maybe my favourite scene.

She needs another role that can surprise the masses again. I’d like to see her work with Cuaron, Anderson, Del Toro or even Nolan.

Yeah I agree, totally. Adaptation was the exact right kick her career needed, and the same year as The Hours! Now she’s just been making such tripe for so long, people are tired of it.

I think Let Them All Talk was…an interesting choice for her actually, it’s not a very good film (Candice Bergen walked away with it), but it was kind of a left-field naturalistic choice for her. But now we’re going to be subjected to a very obvious scenery-chewing opportunity for her in Don’t Look Up and that’ll just be annoying. I feel like…she still feels the need to keep the wheels spinning and wholly reinventing, but why can’t she just…be naturalistic? That’s what McDormand’s doing!

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

She’s working with Ari Aster — whatever her role is it’ll be another radical departure. I believe she’ll miss this season again.

Profile picture
    Topics:

I don’t buy the Dunst talk. Her stans are trying to make her happen since day one, I need to see some proof before I join the cult.

Dowd, Negga, DeBose and Collette seem like a strong set of nominees with another girl joining them.

I do hope Collette will end up winning, and they won’t mess up the category with Blanchett. She has two Oscars, she can sit this one out. Collette’s possible win is like my final and only wish Oscar-wise. She’s the best working actress today, and it’s sad that she still doesn’t have an Oscar.

Blanchett is getting a lead actress campaign.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Best supporting actress is such a whoopey hoopey race; anything can happen! So I go with this lineup as of August 2021:

Audra McDonald – Respect
    Toni Collette – Nightmare Alley
    Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog
    Ann Dowd – Mass
    Charlotte Rampling – Benedetta

Dark horse: Ruth Negga, Sally Hawkins

There’s nothing dark horse about Negga. She’s her movie’s guarantee awards magnet.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Martha Plimpton having a vehicle is someth i’m very looking foward

Her securing a nod will have the equivalent emotional weight of Jennifer Jason Leigh finally getting hers.

Profile picture
    Topics:

There might be Meryl fatigue within the industry. Between her Globes snub for The Prom & a sentiment that she’s become “over praised”, it could be a while until Streep receives another nomination. Don’t Look Up will be a major contender so maybe she’ll get in if the performance is undeniable.

I think Don’t Look Up will be a non-starter even for its ensemble.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Yeah I just can’t see it. For Campion to make such a film would be so…not like Campion, but more than that, the material is also that of a co-lead lol, I keep saying this and no one believes me 😭 (jk)

It’s not that people don’t believe you I don’t think – it’s the rumour that Netflix is thinking of putting her in Supporting.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s not that people don’t believe you I don’t think – it’s the rumour that Netflix is thinking of putting her in Supporting.

Hahah, yes I know, you’re right of course because she may well go supporting. But your response was really sweet and earnest heh :))) especially given how insufferable I’ve been about TPOTD the book

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Her securing a nod will have the equivalent emotional weight of Jennifer Jason Leigh finally getting hers.

PLEASE that was a perfect comparison

Profile picture
    Summerville
    Topics:

Stars seem to be aligning for Dunst here.

I’m losing confidence in Houdyshell because apparently The Humans is not one of A24’s biggest priorities but I’m hoping that the TIFF reviews solidify her awards run because the role is there.

Also rooting for Negga, Dowd and Plimpton. Bleecker Street is gonna fuck it up though, isn’t it?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.