Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 509 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie

• gorman
    Topics:

Stars seem to be aligning for Dunst here.

I’m not convinced she’ll be in this category, though. I think there’s been suggestions Campion will give her a bigger, more leading role alongside Cumberbatch. As has been said in this thread too, it would be in-keeping with her filmography if Campion did that and gave Dunst a really complex, meaty lead role. To be fair, I think she could win either category depending on what is done with the role and its placement, so you’re not wrong.

Diamond Tier
    Topics:

There’s nothing dark horse about Negga. She’s her movie’s guarantee awards magnet.

Negga is coming to f*ck sh!t up! Her role in Passing sounds complex & interesting asf. She’s coming.

sundin114
    Topics:

Yeah I agree, totally. Adaptation was the exact right kick her career needed, and the same year as The Hours! Now she’s just been making such tripe for so long, people are tired of it. I think Let Them All Talk was…an interesting choice for her actually, it’s not a very good film (Candice Bergen walked away with it), but it was kind of a left-field naturalistic choice for her. But now we’re going to be subjected to a very obvious scenery-chewing opportunity for her in Don’t Look Up and that’ll just be annoying. I feel like…she still feels the need to keep the wheels spinning and wholly reinventing, but why can’t she just…be naturalistic? That’s what McDormand’s doing!

But at the same token, don’t you think there are too many similar shades between the McDormand Oscar-winning characters? I can easily see Streep tackling Three Billboards, and especially Nomadland, but I can’t imagine McDormand inhabiting Sophie, Margaret Thatcher or Miranda Priestly.

Cocastique
    Topics:

Just learned that CODA is the remake of a French film I absolutely hated 💀 Curious to see how it goes.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

kaziz
    Topics:

But at the same token, don’t you think there are too many similar shades between the McDormand Oscar-winning characters? I can easily see Streep tackling Three Billboards, and especially Nomadland, but I can’t imagine McDormand inhabiting Sophie, Margaret Thatcher or Miranda Priestly.

Sure, yeah. I see the criticism, I think both can be true though. McDormand has done some pretty out-of-the-box stuff! Like Burn After Reading. But yeah either she doesn’t care to reinvent herself constantly to play Margaret Thatcher and Miranda Priestly or she can’t do it, and I think it’s probably the former?

This will sound SO odd lol & people may descend on the comment, but McDormand has made a career out of the tendency that Kristen Stewart has: they don’t care to remove themselves totally from their characters, they don’t care to be chameleons. But they play the emotions perfectly?

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Lil Tony
    Topics:

Thank you. Meryl Streep has done it all and is the only woman who deserves a fourth. All of her Oscar winning roles are totally different. I see nothing naturalistic with McDormand playing similar characters all the time.

Lady Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Disliking certain performers and their victories is one thing, claiming that they are playing the same characters for the sake of argument is something else. McDormand Oscar-winning roles are not similar whatsoever.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

sundin114
    Topics:

Disliking certain performers and their victories is one thing, claiming that they are playing the same characters for the sake of argument is something else. McDormand Oscar-winning roles are not similar whatsoever.

I am a fan of McDormand. She is one of the top 10 actresses in cinematic history without a doubt. She certainly does imbue each of her characters with unique dimensions, but the brittleness and “salt-of-the-earth” pluckiness is always there to some extent.

Kevin Bacon describes what I’m talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8VMLi2HvM

Cabelo da Shiv
    Topics:

Streep is obviously amazing, but I don’t think she could’ve done Nomadland. That’s a role that plays to every quality McDormand has to offer as a performer.

Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I am a fan of McDormand. She is one of the top 10 actresses in cinematic history without a doubt. She certainly does imbue each of her characters with unique dimensions, but the brittleness and “salt-of-the-earth” pluckiness is always there to some extent. Kevin Bacon describes what I’m talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8VMLi2HvM

Actors show similar nuances in all of their performances (including Streep or McDormand) or just go full method which is about once again showing the same acting technique in different interpretations, but neither means that someone always plays the same character. McDormand, as a thinking, breathing, existing performer, can incorporate similar segments into all of her portrayals, but there is no way that Fern, Mildred Hayes, or Marge Gunderson are the same characters or are shown the same way by McDormand.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

George Ehret
    Topics:

Meryl is just one of those actresses who has more nominations than she actually deserves, and most people would probably agree with that (the Florence Foster Jenkins nomination was… a choice). But, she’s playing female Trump. I have to imagine some of these neolib voters are gonna like that even if it has no substance

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

kaziz
    Topics:

McDormand, as a thinking, breathing, existing performer, can incorporate similar segments into all of her portrayals, but there is no way that Fern, Mildred Hayes, or Marge Gunderson are the same characters or are shown the same way by McDormand.

I don’t know if you meant to include me in the first comment, but yes I fully agree with the second. McDormand is simply a different performer to Streep, but in my opinion no less great.

That being said, people tend to go “OH WOW” at chameleonic performances more, because they can see the acting. I do love Streep, I’m not the sort of person who thinks all of her recent nods are unjustified (August: Osage County was sublime, I know people disagree and hate the film). But Katharine Hepburn’s “you can see the wheels turning” comment was pretty darn accurate, I gotta say. When Streep does something a lot more subtle like in The Hours, people don’t notice it. When she does THATCHER, they go WOAH. And the former>>>>>>>>>latter.

McDormand is up there with Streep. I may not agree with the specific wins (The Iron Lady is an awful win, Three Billboards was a good win but Hawkins was better), but they are near-equals to me.

And despite the Ari Aster, I am more excited about McDormand’s next moves: Women Talking is a fantastic book, and……kudos to McDormand man, just K.U.D.O.S. for having TASTE

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Tick Tock
    Topics:

Stars seem to be aligning for Dunst here. 

If Dunst does go supporting and TPOTD is a top 5 BP film, Dunst absolutely makes the most sense as the winner here.

Other possibilities are Judi Dench for Belfast, Ruth Negga for Passing, Meryl Streep for Don’t Look Up, and Toni Collette for Nightmare Alley. But Dunst makes more sense than any of them for a number of reasons.

kaziz
    Topics:

If Dunst does go supporting and TPOTD is a top 5 BP film, Dunst absolutely makes the most sense as the winner here.

Other possibilities are Judi Dench for Belfast, Ruth Negga for Passing, Meryl Streep for Don’t Look Up, and Toni Collette for Nightmare Alley. But Dunst makes more sense than any of them for a number of reasons.

I agree over the contenders mentioned, and of course Dunst will need the reviews/raves etc etc. But Dowd is still pretty darn strong, I know it’s Bleecker Street and I know Mass may not hit as a film (I hope it does) but people clearly feel passionate enough about her for her to be running away with it in GD odds.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.