Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 502 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Colette and Dafoe are only at the beginning of the story, unless Del Toro changed it

Mahershala Ali won an Oscar for Moonlight.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Mahershala Ali won an Oscar for Moonlight.

SAG Ensemble – Nightmare Alley?

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Again, I feel like the people who think Collette could win for Nightmare Alley don’t actually realize that her role is pretty minor and she’ll only be in the first half of the movie.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Jays, you haven’t spilled your thoughts on GODunst performance in TPOTD yet.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Jays, you haven’t spilled your thoughts on GODunst performance in TPOTD yet.

She’s brilliant! I’m surprised there was talk at one point that she might potentially go lead though. It’s very much a supporting performance, even if she does have a lot of screen time. She’s subtle but she gets her big moments. I think she’s comfortably in, especially since The Power of the Dog should be a big player. I wouldn’t rule out a win yet but she’s not the slam dunk I thought (or was hoping) she’d be. It could happen though, just depends on the competition.

I will say that if any of the cast is going to win, I think it would be her. Smith seems poised to take Actor (as of right now) and Smit-McPhee is great but not showy enough to overcome the fact that he’s a newcomer. I think all 3 will get their noms though.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

She’s brilliant! I’m surprised there was talk at one point that she might potentially go lead though. It’s very much a supporting performance, even if she does have a lot of screen time. She’s subtle but she gets her big moments. I think she’s comfortably in, especially since The Power of the Dog should be a big player. I wouldn’t rule out a win yet but she’s not the slam dunk I thought (or was hoping) she’d be. It could happen though, just depends on the competition. I will say that if any of the cast is going to win, I think it would be her. Smith seems poised to take Actor (as of right now) and Smit-McPhee is great but not showy enough to overcome the fact that he’s a newcomer. I think all 3 will get their noms though.

I agree with pretty much everything. Unfortunately, I also don’t think she’s a slam dunk, due to the subtlety of her performance for the most part. I also agree she’s the most likely, of the three, to pull off a win, considering she’s the character you root for the most and you always end up feeling for her.

But I’m so happy we’re on the same page, regarding her performance. She was so good. I even think I liked her more than Benedict, but I think that’s mostly due to her character.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Honestly, after I saw the film I didn’t think Dunst was a slam-dunk winner the way I as a stan would LOVE her to be, but honestly…….

1. If you liked TPOTD, please let’s recognize as a group one thing: everyone has such RADICALLY different takes on it! This is a movie that looks so so so so different to different people! Dunst is a lead for some supporting for others. For some, Kodi’s the main character and the only important character other than Cumberbatch lol, for others he’s not showy enough or he’s just a plot device. For some, George is very important and present and a co-lead, for others he’s never there.

2. The film mimics the book in it’s approach to Rose. First reading: all about Phil. Second reading: all about Rose. It’s shocking how much new stuff I realize about what Dunst is doing on a 2nd watch. She has a much more complex relationship with Peter than it seems, she’s much smarter than she seems. Shockingly, she has 49% screen time to Cumberbatch’s 55%. Campion did reduce her a bit because Dunst says there’s deleted scenes, but for me it hangs together surprisingly well—she does the full-circle arc the book does and all the tension and anxiety (non-Phil related) is actually THERE. So…it’s GOOD that people saw this at festivals and probably will see it again before Oscar voting, at least on Netflix!

3. Quite a few reviews and pundits do say she’s best in show, which is again a reflection of split perception of the film! I think all four are FABULOUS. But I have to say: all of them are also playing many more dimensions of their characters, the details of which are in the book. If you think this is a thinker and haven’t read the book, you’ll realize it’s even MORE of a thinker than you thought (if that makes sense lol)

4. At TIFF, Cumberbatch urged everyone to read the book lol. At Venice, Jane Campion said her hope was that people would form book clubs and watch the film again. Seems to me this is intentional.

And more and more….I feel like Dunst may….just have got this. I’m getting big big big Regina King in Beale Street vibes. 10 days after I saw that film, I knew that no matter what happened in the interim, she would win (I saw it after I went to Telluride). I see Dowd as her biggest threat Dowd suffers from the “why not Plimpton” problem. Regardless, if Dowd does emerge as the one nominated, yeah THEN I can see a hard race. I get wanting more from Dunst in the film—but actually…..I can even say that about Cumberbatch! Ultimately the film is balancing 4 characters, and I wanted the whole film to be longer lol.

P.S.: In terms of the story, even not screen time, yeah I think Rose is a co-lead. I think the film argues that Peter is too, but Phil and Rose to me are what the film is definitely ABOUT, because both are pivotal to setting up the film’s argument about masculinity and coded gender. Like, her being the only woman REALLY matters, who she is other than a “woman” matters, why Phil tortures HER matters.

So yes, this is my stan and fan heart saying I think this is a performance that I think will win, and this is a new opinion: earlier, I thought she should win. And she’s VERY nuanced obviously, but also…..pretty showy at in at least 3 or 4 scenes, I mean, it’s hard to not see that. Plus, she’s the character who makes you….cry lol

****Negga might fuck this all up.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Hereditary was a divisive horror film that was hard to watch, Nightmare Alley psychological thriller written and directed by Oscar-winner director-producer Guillermo del Toro – you get the picture.

I get the picture sure, but I also don’t think she’s happening.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I watched the Silent Night premiere at Roy Thomson Hall last night and boy can Lily-Rose Depp not act to save her life. She was quite abysmal. Very sweet when she came on stage tho.

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

Rebecca Ferguson  could be a  surprising  contender in this category . Very positive comments  about her  role in Dune

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I get the picture sure, but I also don’t think she’s happening.

If Laura Dern won an Oscar in a strong BP-player, then so can Toni Collette. It’s just that people who can form the narrative seem to be invested in Ann Dowd’s non-existent chances in an already forgotten slow-placed film with internal competition (Plimpton) directed by a first-time director.

Toni’s been around forever. She’s one of the most overdue living actress to win an Oscar. I personally won’t stop pushing her until she finally happens.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

If Laura Dern won an Oscar in a strong BP-player, then so can Toni Collette. It’s just that people who can form the narrative seem to be invested in Ann Dowd’s non-existent chances in an already forgotten slow-placed film with internal competition (Plimpton) directed by a first-time director.

Toni’s been around forever. She’s one of the most overdue living actress to win an Oscar. I personally won’t stop pushing her until she finally happens.

Honestly she can and probably will be a stand-out, but there’s this weird problem: people totally forget pivotal actors who are in the first half of a film! (maybe she’ll even be in just the first third…). I mean literally Plemons is in almost every single damn scene in the first half of TPOTD, & doesn’t totally disappear (though he does, and that’s……an important development for the story lol, not just a “eh fuck Plemons” move) for the rest either. In Cumberbatch’s biggest “Oscar scene” (arguably), Plemons is his scene-partner. But people only remember the 2nd half somehow. I also higggghly suspect that if it weren’t for the fact that Dowd (apparently) gets the last word in Mass, she would be predicted so highly. Like…no. It’s close but Plimpton has the stronger reviews.

But that being said, Plemons is so quiet and incredibly subtle, Collette’s role is SHOWY! So she can be very, very memorable. But the ideal scenario for Collette is probably Mara moving to lead and Blanchett moving to supporting imo. It’s so hard competing with a co-star (Mara) who is in the whole damn story and stands out simply because she’s the sympathetic audience surrogate (it’s not as showy a role as Collette’s but it’s showy enough). She can 100% do it, but pulling a Viola Davis in Doubt is…hard, and maybe helped by the fact that Davis broke our heart, Collette’s character is not sympathetic at all.

Crossing fingers and toes for Collette. I don’t really care if Blanchett or Cooper get nominated lol, just Collette

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

If Laura Dern won an Oscar in a strong BP-player, then so can Toni Collette.

This, though. YEAH. I mean Laura Dern had like…one chewy scene in Marriage Story but it’s the SAME trope of a character as in Big Little Lies, I have zeeeeeero idea how she got to be the instant frontrunner.

Also, so okay people hopedicting Dowd is mystifying. But how is MARLEE MATLIN at #2?!? She makes just as little sense, rewarding her is basically just a reward for the film, because I loved her but she doesn’t even give the 2nd-best performance in the film for me (Jones then Kotsur for me) :/

FYC:

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I watched the Silent Night premiere at Roy Thomson Hall last night and boy can Lily-Rose Depp not act to save her life. She was quite abysmal. Very sweet when she came on stage tho.

Thought she was good in The King.

But again, I don’t know.

On separate note, I think its too early to call who goes lead who goes supporting apart from Bradley Cooper for Nightmare Alley. Blanchett’s role got revamped, Mara got the most screentime yet worst role, Collette has the weirdest role, blah blah blah.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Mara got the most screentime yet worst role

I wouldn’t say it’s the worst role at all. She gets put through……… lol a lotta shit, and she has to do a lotta shit, being the sympathetic character isn’t bad actually, if anything it helps her stand out. I think sadly Collette’s is the worst role, but she will EAT IT UP, so I’m not that worried.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.