Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

1. Dunst
    2. Ellis
    3. Collette
    4. Negga
    5. DeBose

6. Dench

I think Dunst is the most likely to be nominated, but any of the other four will be our winner.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Aunjanue Ellis is not winning if Will Smith is. Three Billboards won two acting awards but it was top 2 in Picture (which King Richard is unlikely to be) and Rockwell arguably had weak competition.

Just last year some of us thought Boseman and Davis could both win and well…

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

1. Dunst

2. Balfe

3. Blanchett

4. Ellis

5. Plimpton

Movie-lover overall.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Aunjanue Ellis is not winning if Will Smith is. Three Billboards won two acting awards but it was top 2 in Picture (which King Richard is unlikely to be) and Rockwell arguably had weak competition. Just last year some of us thought Boseman and Davis could both win and well…

Is that the new rule I’m not aware of?

Dallas Buyers Club was nowhere near Top 2, and its actors both won. How about Melissa Leo and Christian Bale in The Fighter? Bunch of others were close too.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Is that the new rule I’m not aware of?

Dallas Buyers Club was nowhere near Top 2, and its actors both won. How about Melissa Leo and Christian Bale in The Fighter? Bunch of others were close too.

Yeah not a rule – also
    King Richard potentially will be Top 2, so there is also that.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I don’t think Ellis received nearly the same amount of career raves as Rockwell, Leo, or Leto. King Richard is an an ensemble piece and does not have the one-on-one character dynamics as Rockwell, Leo, Leto whose relationships with the lead dominated the white film. King Richard is a Will Smith vehicle at the end of the day just as it was for Bullock in The Blind Side.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I don’t think Ellis received nearly the same amount of career raves as Rockwell, Leo, or Leto. King Richard is an an ensemble piece and does not have the one-on-one character dynamics as Rockwell, Leo, Leto whose relationships with the lead dominated the white film. King Richard is a Will Smith vehicle at the end of the day just as it was for Bullock in The Blind Side.

As much as I love to read your posts, I disagree here. I think Ellis’ raves are worthy enough and she fits the profile of a hard-working veteran actress such as Regina King, Patricia Arquette, Octavia Spencer, Melissa Leo rewarded in supporting.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

As much as I love to read your posts, I disagree here. I think Ellis’ raves are worthy enough and she fits the profile of a hard-working veteran actress such as Regina King, Patricia Arquette, Octavia Spencer, Melissa Leo rewarded in supporting.

Yeah I agree she very much fits the television veteran to Oscar winner pipeline especially since she is coming off her second Emmy nomination this year. Ellis is locked for a nomination currently imo. She is certainly a contender for the Oscar, but I don’t think she will be quite as strong since the Will Smith might overshadow her strong buzz as well. I think if the Globes was still a thing they would have given Ellis a huge boost like they did with King since Ellis might struggle winning Critics Choice or BAFTA. I can see SAG going for her though since they tend to do double acting winning combos frequently.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How about Melissa Leo and Christian Bale in The Fighter?

That film was a top contender though and Leo and Bale received the same amount of buzz (same with the Dallas Buyers Club). Regardless of her reviews the crux of the buzz for King Richard is around Will Smith’s central performance not Ellis’ supporting one.

I don’t see why Dunst would have any less of a chance than Ellis when her film is more of an ensemble piece than King Richard and she’s received an equal amount of buzz to Cumberbatch (if not more).

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Ellis’ nomination for King Richard feels more like a “welcome to the club” nomination because I haven’t heard anyone call her worthy of winning. That’s hard to imagine for me.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Dunst and Ellis are locks in this category. Balfe or Dench joins the two women after Belfast woj TIFF People Choice today. Curious to see the final two contenders making it in Supporting Actress.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Balfe and Dench screams McKenzie and ScarJo for Jojo Rabbit to me. Please if Balfe goes supporting, don’t snub her for a namecheck :((

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Balfe is not getting snubbed, if they do push her in supporting, it’s likelier to see both Balfe and Dench nominated than Dench nominated without Balfe.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Balfe is in and could even win (regardless of the category she’s competing in).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I get why people are reluctant to call Dunst a frontrunner (I was….for a while) and she’s not a particularly strong frontrunner, but I think she is. If people watch it a 2nd time, they’ll understand more, she’s given her baity scenes AND her nuanced scenes, and frankly I’m more than a little surprised that she’s been getting more praise than Kodi tbh. And almost everyone who is down on Cumberbatch applauds Dunst instead (a weird either/or imo). Either way it just feels like Dunst is the main beneficiary of how things are going, and yes Balfe was praised but her role has never been pitched as anywhere near as meaningful or chewy as Dunst’s. TPOTD is more of an actor’s showcase, that’s all.

Cursory Twitter search — people love her performance AND the narrative is kicking in big time

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.