Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 544 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 4 is now open.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Based on the reviews out of Venice, Jodie Comer is Supporting in The Last Duel. Damon & Driver also apparently have more screen time than her.

Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

Best Supporting Actress

Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    Judi Dench, Belfast
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza
    Marlee Matlin, CODA

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Current predictions:

Judi Dench, Belfast
    Ann Dowd, Mass
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Marlee Matlin, CODA
    Olga Merediz, In the Heights

Those would be an incredibly strong lineup for the Oscar!!! Marleee Matlin hasn’t been nominated since her win 35 years ago!

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Catriona Balfe
    Kirsten Dunt
    Aunjanue Ellis
    Frances McDormand
    Ruth Negga

If Balfe/McD go lead, swap in:
    Dowd or Plimpton
    or
    Buckley or Johnson
    (but they could all cancel each other out)

Shouldn’t be underestimated:
    Cate Blanchett
    Ariana DeBose
    Marlee Matlin
    Meryl Streep

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Catriona Balfe Kirsten Dunt Aunjanue Ellis Frances McDormand Ruth Negga If Balfe/McD go lead, swap in: Dowd or Plimpton or Buckley or Johnson (but they could all cancel each other out) Shouldn’t be underestimated: Cate Blanchett Ariana DeBose Marlee Matlin Meryl Streep

The top five is respectable, but your other mentions… Do you really think that the Mass ladies, Matlin, and Streep have better chances than Dench, Houdyshell, and the other Nightmare Alley ladies?

Mass is a nonfactor in anything. Same with Coda. Streep could get in a la Rockwell, yes. But over Dench in a top-five Picture contender? Ditto Nightmare Alley girls? The Humans buzz has died down I’ll admit, but not so much to think those guys are ahead.

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

The big question for me here is: will Blanchett go supporting? I feel it can be a strong year for Best Actress, but BSActress feels wide open besides Dunst who’s a clear frontrunner.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

The top five is respectable, but your other mentions…

The ones I’m not predicting…

Do you really think that the Mass ladies, Matlin, and Streep have better chances than Dench, Houdyshell, and the other Nightmare Alley ladies?

Yes. Mass might be a Spirits-only thing but I think it’s likelier to break out of that than The Humans is, had much bigger buzz out of Sundance and passion for those performances. Dench seems really overshadowed and not that buzzed about now that people are watching (and loving) her movie. And I don’t see Nightmare Alley as much of an acting vehicle outside of Bradley’s central role tbh, partly for category confusion and splits, but Blanchett theoretically has the best chance if voters don’t buy a lead campaign.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Catriona Balfe Kirsten Dunt Aunjanue Ellis Frances McDormand Ruth Negga

I have the same exact lineup currently. Top 3 looks like locks to me. I think people have forgotten Frances has a vehicle this year and shouldn’t be underestimated for a nomination. Negga seems the most vulnerable only because I don’t know exactly how the acting branch will respond to her film. If DLU becomes incredibly strong in Picture, I could see Streep replacing her. As of right now though I will slot in Negga since I see her performance as undeniable for a nomination based on her raves.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I have the same exact lineup currently. Top 3 looks like locks to me. I think people have forgotten Frances has a vehicle this year and shouldn’t be underestimated for a nomination. Negga seems the most vulnerable only because I don’t know exactly how the acting branch will respond to her film. If DLU becomes incredibly strong in Picture, I could see Streep replacing her. As of right now though I will slot in Negga since I see her performance as undeniable for a nomination based on her raves.

NO.

(Said with love hehe)

I don’t know if Buckley and Johnson are canceling each other out. I agree that both have raves and any given review leans to one more than the other, but it also feels people are just naturally gravitating towards Buckley (narrative, I guess? But Johnson has one too!)

I do take the higher odds for Buckley as indicative of the general goodwill since most of those votes are probably not people who’ve seen the film. Plus I think The Lost Daughter will be in for BP.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.