Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 544 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

And look at that, havent gotten through the fat part of the season and we’re already getting surprise contenders.  I think hunters only the first of a few surprise contenders that will pop up

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Seyfried was only a frontrunner when nobody had seen Mank. It played no festivals and released on Netflix in November, and immediately after it came out nearly all of us dropped her down from 1st place because she had so little to do.

That is untrue. She was seen as the front-runner right until the SAG nominations came out. And even so, people thought she has a fighting chance with a possible Golden Globe win. Now, we don’t know if she would have made it to the BAFTA lineup, but it’s possible, as she made it to the Oscars and her support must have come from somewhere.

Although she probably finished in the 4th or 5th spot in the end, people love re-writing history. She had the raves, the buzz, the passion, the critics support and she made it to the Oscar lineup for exactly that, not because of Mank‘s strength as some like to claim. She was seen as Mank‘s most valuable segment.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I wonder if Kathryn Hunter will be added to the predictions center?

I saw her years ago on stage in a play called The Skriker and she gave a ferocious performance but that was a theater performance. Not sure I have ever seen her on film, I think maybe only in a British television series. I personally love it when there are surprise nominees!

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

I saw her years ago on stage in a play called The Skriker and she gave a ferocious performance but that was a theater performance. Not sure I have ever seen her on film, I think maybe only in a British television series. I personally love it when there are surprise nominees!

Came here to say precisely this. The witches are standout for me in the play and I knew she’d receive great notices.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My hopes for Olga Merediz being nominated for her phenomenal performance in In the Heights have faded. There are simply too many other actresses vying for those 5 slots. But she is amazing and gave that film’s best performance. (and I absolutely loved In the Heights, it was a wonderful movie with a breakout charismatic lead performance from Anthony Ramos. It was released too early after movie theaters opened but pandemic fears were still keeping people away from going to the movies).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why is Anya Taylor-Joy in the predictions centre for Parallel Mothers? Is she even in it lol?

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Moses Ingram as well.

Lady Macduff is one of the best one scene wonders in theatre she’s gotten praise coming out of NY as well (albeit not as much as Hunter).

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Why is Anya Taylor-Joy in the predictions centre for Parallel Mothers? Is she even in it lol?

She was briefly attached but never confirmed. Kinda funny how GD admins only add people to predictions centre after receiving “confirmed category placement from studios” but also add based on rumours 😅

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I wonder if Kathryn Hunter will be added to the predictions center? I saw her years ago on stage in a play called The Skriker and she gave a ferocious performance but that was a theater performance. Not sure I have ever seen her on film, I think maybe only in a British television series. I personally love it when there are surprise nominees!

I think her most famous movie role is a cameo as Harry Potter’s neighbor

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Kathryn hunter is great in Macbeth but her screen time is 5 minutes at most..

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

What about Corey Hawkins? Do you think he has a shot?

Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

What about Corey Hawkins? Do you think he has a shot?

Corey benefits that he is basically costar in third act. I just found him fine. Didn’t stand out.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

So about the same amount of screen time as Beatrice Straight in Network and Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love – two Supporting Actress Oscar winners. I don’t really think she will be nominated but it’s not impossible for it to happen either.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

So about the same amount of screen time as Beatrice Straight in Network and Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love – two Supporting Actress Oscar winners. I don’t really think she will be nominated but it’s not impossible for it to happen either.

Also Davis in Doubt. But it’s quite rare to happen for such small role. It’s a strong category.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Also Davis in Doubt. But it’s quite rare to happen for such small role. It’s a strong category.

True. I find it a little strange what criteria people use to “evaluate” supporting performances on GD. The criticism of Dunst (that obviously not everyone agrees with because no one’s seen the same film) is that she doesn’t have as much to do? With 49% screentime and being in supporting and many many “Oscar scenes” as well as a performance with immense nuance and depth and intrigue/mystery, it feels like people wanted her…..to be a lead? (I personally feel like all 4 really are co-leads, but even if you don’t…this is supporting lol).

I’ve seen the same argument from Dowd fans about Negga, Ellis, Buckley, Johnson, Hunter, Dench etc. But Dowd is DEFINITELY a co-lead and she’s in basically the whole film! Now I have my own reasons for liking/disliking these other performances & I agree that co-leads benefit more often than not but there’s plenty of truly supporting performances (Youn, Dern, King, Janney) that have won recently so………ummm.

This category is such stealth though lol. Dowd may not even get nominated and even with all that passion she doesn’t have Smith/Stewart odds. We def have a stealth frontrunner, people just don’t wanna admit it because presumably they think it’s just narrative (it’s not).

Particularly because she’s the most likely acting winner from a BP frontrunner even in GD odds. Glad she’s not Seyfried though.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.