Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 544 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Negga got in somewhat surprisingly first time round. I think she’ll easily make the cut. And agreed re: fewer opportunities for her. I was simply disagreeing with her being overdue a second nom. Sounds like we all share similar views.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Is Frances going supporting in Macbeth? Apparently someone from AW said she is going lead.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Is Frances going supporting in Macbeth? Apparently someone from AW said she is going lead.

She’s lead. Erik from AW was very sure about it.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

She’s lead. Erik from AW seemed pretty sure about it.

</p>
    A slot just opened up in Supporting.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I can’t believe how excited I got watching the trailer for Passing.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Glad I snatched Negga at those early odds

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Passing trailer was beyond phenomenal and I’m even more perched for it than ever. Best black and white shots I’ve seen all year. With that said, Thompson looked better than Negga imo. I was more excited for Ruth but Tessa really stole my attention. But I don’t think they showed Ruth best moments in the trailer, so I’m still extremely perched for her. Can’t wait to watch the movie.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

I’m getting weird Regina King vibes from Ruth Negga.

Which means she’s winning?

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

This category is going to be fire. Probably my most anticipated when it comes to the acting categories.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m getting weird Regina King vibes from Ruth Negga.

I actually only sort of agreeeeee except that Dunst has been giving me Regina King vibes too. She has the most perfect moments and just THAT character who is incredibly subtle and nuanced and in such a strong contender that she does actually seem…..really strong but it’s okay if you are predicting your Amy Adams-equivalent noms for now because she probably should not seem like THAT strong a frontrunner.

Negga is similar but her character, in contrast to Thompson’s, is much much much less subtle (still is!) because she’s BRASH and BIG and not as internal. Internal and subtle — that’s all in Tessa’s character far more. I think she gives me Regina King vibes in that if she seals it, she seals it. But it won’t seem obvious either I don’t think. She’s not the…sympathetic character as such. It’s such a difficult story to categorize characters with but being in Tessa’s character’s perspective means that she carries the sympathy far more (and that shifts!)

I don’t know — I am SO THERE for a Dunst and Negga contest but they’re INCREDIBLY different characters. I think the King comparison just works better for Dunst even though she has almost exactly as much screentime as Cumberbatch, but King had much less. Negga will also have much more than King did. They’re not perfect analogues but I can see it for both.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

As an aside, my mother (separately) watched TPOTD and her first question was about Rose’s motivations which seem obvious even by the end, but are very much not. She zeroed in on this big scene and had an interpretation that I can find only in some LB reviews not really critics.

Just another fascinating anecdote for me as to how vastly different TPOTD comes off to literally everyone. Passing (the book) is like that too, but I’d say much more for Tessa’s character than Negga’s because the whole thing with Negga’s character is how…she doesn’t exactly hold back in any way lol 😋

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

GD doesn’t have her in this category but I think Caitriona Balfe will go supporting and if Belfast is as strong as we suspect it might be, she could even win. I don’t think Focus will risk Dornan and Balfe getting snubbed in lead when they could both be contending for the win in supporting.

It would not even be fraud because the boy is the only lead in the movie anyway.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t know where best to comment, but “Passing” looks phenomenal! I’m not looking forward to too many movies this year, but this one looks truly excellent.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

GD doesn’t have her in this category but I think Caitriona Balfe will go supporting and if Belfast is as strong as we suspect it might be, she could even win. I don’t think Focus will risk Dornan and Balfe getting snubbed in lead when they could both be contending for the win in supporting.

It would not even be fraud because the boy is the only lead in the movie anyway.

Does anyone know the reason that Jude Hill isn’t in the predictions center? Usually they nominate child performers in supporting even when they are the lead in their movie. Balfe in the Supporting Actress category sure would change the category but I think they will place her in lead since Dench is likely to be nominated in the Supporting Actress category. When will that decision be made? Last year wasn’t LaKeith Stanfield in lead in the predictions center and then got a Supporting Actor nomination? Maybe the academy just decides for themselves where to ultimately place the performers against the wishes of the studios.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Reminder that, as fantastic as Passing looks, it has internal competition with TPOTD and DLU. But atm, TPOTD is Netflix champ for everything – Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor. They are not going to give up on Dunst for Negga. They will try to get both in unless they will also try to get Streep in and then things get tricky. 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.