Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I feel Netflix will campaign for Streep in supporting actress (they released another still)

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

Is there any news about Blanchett for Nightmare Alley? if she goes supporting I think a nom is pretty likely

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Your spillage. I definitely think she’s going to rack up some critic awards which should help her since I don’t see her film being too big of a player and that she’ll be more likely to be in the final five. Winning is another question, but she’s really being underestimated.

10000%. Negga is giving one of the best performances, and has a less tough climb than Thompson because her character is….well, she’s BRAZEN and BRASH. And Negga has a helluva great time playing it. In a complex film, playing the larger to life but smaller character is…a big deal. E.g.: Youn!

Now I don’t know about wins but imo it really wouldn’t surprise me if she even LED with critics groups wins than even Dunst, because TPOTD is already a frontrunner and critics groups love uplifting the contenders people are dismissing. I’m 90% certain she will get in. Anyone CAN win, but yes I absolutely think Negga can go all the way, it is totally possible.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Negga should still be in the conversation for a slot in Supporting Actress.

A slot? She’s winning…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

A slot? She’s winning…

Given that I’m not one for categorical certainty, I’d say she would be a totally consistent and deserving winner, but so would Dunst. Plimpton is deserving too, Buckley, Johnson are nod-worthy & I haven’t seen Ellis, Collette, Mara yet. Who knows, but as of it does seem a little Negga vs. Dunst to me

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Possibly the only potential wrench in this is that critics groups may very well go to Thompson instead and though they could pair them like Ahmed/Raci, they tend to spread the wealth. Thompson IS far more significant and a lot more central than the novel would have us believe. But regardless: Negga is most likely getting in & could very well win, SO PUT HER IN.

FYC:

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Negga in loving was my favorite performance of that year. So natural and small.

I believe her passing performance will be too.

Ellis

Negga

Davis

The holy trinity of 2022 oscars

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Negga in loving was my favorite performance of that year. So natural and small.

SAME. Her and Huppert tied for me for my fave performances in Lead that year, I don’t know how active you were then, but I remember everyone saying “oh it’s not gonna happen” and when it DID happen, they blamed her for Amy Adams getting snubbed! (Instead of, I dunno, Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins??)

Such a wonderful performance (and film!)

She’s wonderful in Passing, and I expected to think she’d be my automatic fave because Claire is a more substantial literary character than Rose (Dunst in TPOTD). And she was wonderful! But damn I did not expect Thompson to steal the show like that, and Negga was in it much less than I expected so……yeah Dunst edges it out for me, but idc, Negga would be a great winner, I would be happy either way. I just feel even more strongly about Thompson.

FYC:

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Is there any news about Blanchett for Nightmare Alley? if she goes supporting I think a nom is pretty likely

Someone said she was pretty confirmed as lead in the BA predictions, idk if it’s true but it’s very likely if she has enough screentime, I mean she is a 2 times winner already with 2 other women in supporting roles in the movie who have enough buzz to get a nomination in supporting, so I do think she will be campaigned lead.

On another note, I really wish Martha Plimpton was the one getting nominated for Mass… Ann Dowd is GREAT, but Martha Plimpton is better, and both of them are leads anyway so I hope if Mass actually gets a nomination (which I’m starting to doubt, too little buzz around the movie outside movie twitter) it’s Plimpton instead of Dowd.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

On another note, I really wish Martha Plimpton was the one getting nominated for Mass… Ann Dowd is GREAT, but Martha Plimpton is better, and both of them are leads anyway so I hope if Mass actually gets a nomination (which I’m starting to doubt, too little buzz around the movie outside movie twitter) it’s Plimpton instead of Dowd.

Could not agree more. Plimpton is stratospheric. My ideal lineup (based on what I’ve seen so far) is Buckley, Dunst, Johnson, Negga, Plimpton and honestly……. that would be so iconic. And this is someone who actually didn’t…….love the film as much as everyone else seems to. It was too actorly. But PLIMPTON.

FYC:

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Could not agree more. Plimpton is stratospheric. My ideal lineup (based on what I’ve seen so far) is Buckley, Dunst, Johnson, Negga, Plimpton and honestly……. that would be so iconic. And this is someone who actually didn’t…….love the film as much as everyone else seems to. It was too actorly. But PLIMPTON.

I also did not enjoy Mass as much as other people did, I think it was great dialogue/writing and acting but I prefer movies bigger in scale, I’m a sucker for a good production design and cinematography and the movie didn’t do anything special in that aspect (which is surprising, for such a simplistic movie they could’ve been more creative in my opinion, but I get that it was not the intention of the movie), however Martha Plimpton really sold it for me, her performance was incredible, and if both of them are campaigned supporting I think she should be the priority.

I really like your lineup, my ideal lineup would be: Johnson, Negga, Plimpton and I wish Kathryn Hunter would get in for Tragedy of Macbeth and Catriona Balfe for Belfast. Dunst would be great too, she would be my sixth place.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Kirsten Dunst has overtaken Ann Dowd’s number one slot in the combined odds, knocking Dowd to second place. This is the first time Ann Dowd has gone down since the predictions center opened.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Kirsten Dunst has overtaken Ann Dowd’s number one slot in the combined odds, knocking Dowd to second place. This is the first time Ann Dowd has gone down since the predictions center opened.

Lol welcome to reality, Goldderby.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    benbraddock
    Topics:

Dunst
    Dench
    Balfe
    Colette
    Streep

Dowd
    Ellis

Profile picture
    loopybird
    Topics:

I don’t get the strange thing with the reviews of Belfast. They are so polarizing (describing performances). Some are saying Balfe and Dornan are the main drivers of the vehicle, some say Dench and Hinds steal the show. The case was easier with TPOTD as they mostly highlighted Smith-McPhee (they did say about Plemmons but everyone knows who got the lion share). I don’t know how these four can be sorted out.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.