Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Mass flopped this weekend in only 4 theaters and prospect of bigger expansion is nil. Even if it gets more theaters it will be quickly pulled out thanks to bad per theater average.

Unless critics go all in for it (and even that is no guarantee – see First Reformed), it’ll be a non-factor.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Del Toro rushing to finish “Nightmare Alley” (editing still not finished, plus sudden change of composer) doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in this movie.

As for the supporting roles in NA, they probably want to see who gets the raves and decide whether to campaign Blanchett lead and Mara/Collette supporting or all supporting. The roles seem borderline enough to be able to play a little bit with the award and get at least one strong acting nomination.

Agreed. It could easily disappoint like Crimson Peak.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Ann Dowd:Mass::Sterling K. Brown:Waves, perhaps?
    Oscar Twitter and GD to some extent were pushing hard for Waves and Brown, though even a stronger distributor (A24) and festival plan (Telluride, TIFF) were not enough to kickstart the film’s Oscar chances IRL.

Bleecker Street appears to have really failed to read the room in terms of this season’s significantly competitive supporting actress race. The promotional/marketing campaign the studio folks have mounted so far miiiight have worked for Dowd and/or Plimpton in a year stretching to fill out the category – as that tepid teaser indicated, the company is heavily counting on critics’ enthusiasm to help fuel Mass’s push — but it’s insufficient in 2021.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Blanchett and Mara are borderline Lead/Supporting characters and they could be placed either way. It’s Stanton Carlisle show. Toni Colette has a small, but memorable, supporting role. Whatever decision the studio takes, the screentime nerds are probably going to say that “it’s category fraud”.

Hey, that’s me! A “screentime nerd”! I like it! 😊

Oscars FYC:
    Belfast (Pic, Balfe, Dornan, Hinds, Screenplay)
    CODA (Kotsur, Screenplay)
    Dune (Pic, Villeneuve, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound, VFX)
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)
    The Power of the Dog (Pic, Campion, Cumberbatch, Dunst, Smit-McPhee, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing)
    tick, tick, Boom! (Garfield)
    West Side Story (Pic, Spielberg, Zegler, DeBose, Moreno, Faist, Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume, Editing, Production Design, Sound)

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Critically or awards-wise? Cause i can agree with the former a bit but the latter just isnt happening

Oscars FYC:
    Dune (Pic, Villeneuve, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound, VFX)
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)
    The Power of the Dog (Pic, Campion, Cumberbatch, Dunst, Smit-McPhee, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing)
    West Side Story (Pic, Spielberg, Zegler, DeBose, Moreno, Faist, Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume, Editing, Production Design, Sound)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Dench is in top 6 for sure. Balfe will get in and Dench will put up a fight for a nomination herself. The amount of respect and prestige the dame holds is enough for the acting branch to nominate her. It makes me think Dench will be that Oscar winner venerated veteran nominee that has been a paradigm in this category. Bates in Richard Jewell, Kidman in Lion, Winslet in Steve Jobs, Streep in Into The Woods. Speaking of Streep, Dench has practically stolen her buzz as the veteran Oscar winner repeating nominee. Streep will sit another season out.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Dench is in top 6 for sure. Balfe will get in and Dench will put up a fight for a nomination herself. The amount of respect and prestige the dame holds is enough for the acting branch to nominate her. It makes me think Dench will be that Oscar winner venerated veteran nominee that has been a paradigm in this category. Bates in Richard Jewell, Kidman in Lion, Winslet in Steve Jobs, Streep in Into The Woods. Speaking of Streep, Dench has practically stolen her buzz as the veteran Oscar winner repeating nominee. Streep will sit another season out.

Never underestimate the “vet vote” bloc at Ampas 😉

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Speaking of Streep, Dench has practically stolen her buzz as the veteran Oscar winner repeating nominee.

Umm…no… The last time Dench was nominated was in 2013 and Streep in 2017. I don’t think Dench has “stolen” her buzz whatsoever.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Del Toro is reportedly going very dark and violent with it. I think it will get in but I don’t see this winning BP like some people here are predicting.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Del Toro is reportedly going very dark and violent with it. I think it will get in but I don’t see this winning BP like some people here are predicting.

I’m beginning to wonder if an IATSE strike might have an impact on the timing of the completion of Nightmare Alley, and for that matter, Being the Ricardos. I strongly doubt it will matter for awards eligibility purposes, but they are cutting it close.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Umm…no… The last time Dench was nominated was in 2013 and Streep in 2017. I don’t think Dench has “stolen” her buzz whatsoever.

Im referring to this year…

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Streep will sit another season out.

Yup. If she gets a nom next year it will have been five years since her most recent nomination. Thats tied for the biggest gap ever for her (that also happened from 90 to 95).

Oscars FYC:
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

Mass flopped this weekend in only 4 theaters and prospect of bigger expansion is nil. Even if it gets more theaters it will be quickly pulled out thanks to bad per theater average. Unless critics go all in for it (and even that is no guarantee – see First Reformed), it’ll be a non-factor.

The majority of this year’s contenders are going to be financial flops due to modern audiences only flocking to guaranteed blockbusters (especially post-2020). I wouldn’t put too much stock into Mass’s box office.

Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

Im referring to this year…

The last time Streep was nominated was actually in 2018 for The Post, she was also nominated in 2017 for Florence Foster Jenkins

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The last time Streep was nominated was actually in 2018 for The Post, she was also nominated in 2017 for Florence Foster Jenkins

Most of the time when people refer to the year, they are referring to the year the movie was released, not the Oscar ceremony

Oscars FYC:
    Free Guy (VFX)
    Passing (Negga)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.