Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
FilmRoyalty
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Fucking “objectivity.” There is no objectivity in any of this, we’re not doing physics.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Fucking “objectivity.” There is no objectivity in any of this, we’re not doing physics.

Of course there is. If you love a film, but hear from voters that it was too slow and they didn’t like the way it ended, then in order to be objective you must take that into consideration, and not act like your own love for the film is going to be the norm.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

That poster is correct about Dunst though. “Standout” raves to me at least suggests best of the show, highlight of the movie etc which isn’t true. I haven’t read them all but a glance over RT etc shows Kodi has the same level of raves if not more, and Cumberbatch obviously goes without saying. I haven’t seen the movie yet as I wanted to wait for the quality release but to objectively say Dunst is the standout of the movie is just false. The vibe I’m getting is the ensemble are pretty much equal. I’m sure she’ll get nominated as part of a BP player though.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Of course there is. If you love a film, but hear from voters that it was too slow and they didn’t like the way it ended, then in order to be objective you must take that into consideration, and not act like your own love for the film is going to be the norm.

But the issue with that is, if I loved Kirsten Dunst’s performance and she doesn’t get nominated, that’s because the Academy and I subjectively disagreed. If you stake your claim on “objective fact” and she gets nominated anyway, then you’re wrong, aren’t you?

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

That poster is correct about Dunst though. “Standout” raves to me at least suggests best of the show, highlight of the movie etc which isn’t true. I haven’t read them all but a glance over RT etc shows Kodi has the same level of raves if not more, and Cumberbatch obviously goes without saying. I haven’t seen the movie yet as I wanted to wait for the quality release but to objectively say Dunst is the standout of the movie is just false. The vibe I’m getting is the ensemble are pretty much equal. I’m sure she’ll get nominated as part of a BP player though.

Nobody but the naysayer said standout raves though. She got some for sure—literally everybody in the ensemble did actually, even Plemons in a few (yeah I know it’s surprising, even though I think this performance of his is wildly underrated). She got raves, as part of a raved ensemble. This is kinda silly.

As an aside, some of her biggest raves are in reviews that didn’t like Cumberbatch much—it’s strange. I’ve read literally every review now lol. Regardless, this is an exhausting and pointless argument overall. I will admit I don’t understand how somebody (not you, Vicki lol) can claim to find TPOTD their fave film of the year and think Dunst was just fussing lol. She’s the catalyst of the events of the film, it makes no sense, thus me finding the whole claim ridiculous. Anyway.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/1465843019718922241

Nice video for Kirsten Dunst fans. Netflix is playing the overdue card.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/1465843019718922241 Nice video for Kirsten Dunst fans. Netflix is playing the overdue card.

Rose isn’t nearly my favorite performance of Kirsten, but please, for the love of God, nominate her. I will literally cry if she doesn’t get it.

Profile picture
    smartypants27
    Topics:

Blanchett looks fantastic in Nightmare Alley and the screening for the film is today/tomorrow!

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

But the issue with that is, if I loved Kirsten Dunst’s performance and she doesn’t get nominated, that’s because the Academy and I subjectively disagreed. If you stake your claim on “objective fact” and she gets nominated anyway, then you’re wrong, aren’t you?

I didn’t stake my claim as objective fact. I’m just predicting how I think things will play out and my opinion is well-considered. I was the only person last year to say early in the season that Ma Rainey would be snubbed in Picture and Screenplay, and the only person to say The Father would likely be the biggest challenger to Nomadland for Best Picture (many people thought it wouldn’t even get nominated, LOL!). Every year this happens though, people scoff at things far outside of the current herd mentality.

Dunst could get nominated but her chances have been very overblown (her publicist has definitely being trying their hardest), this isn’t a slam-dunk performance. The character is pathetic in a way that’s a turn-off to a lot of people, wanting to slap her and tell her to stand up for herself a little more, and I think Dunst played this too conservatively to be very baity. The surface level of fear and anxiety is there, but it feels too groomed in a way, either not showing enough other facets of the character or not being loud enough about this trait. I think a considerable number of actors will not find her drunk acting to be the most convincing either. This performance won’t INSPIRE a great number of voters IMO.

People just respecting an actor can be enough to get them nominated sometimes, but is there room this year? Right now, I see 5 other performances that have more LOVE, each having specific distinct scenes that tug at people’s emotions and brains, making them think “yeah, THIS deserves recognition”. What is Dunst’s scene supposed to be? I don’t think she really has one, no big moment that knocks peoples’ socks off.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

When she seals her win nomination tomorrow after Nightmare Alley screening:

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Blanchett looks fantastic in Nightmare Alley and the screening for the film is today/tomorrow!

I just saw the BTS video and Blanchett looks fantabulous. Don’t know if she’ll be nominated but her mystic aura is unmatchable.

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

People usually forget, the supporting categories tend to bring actors for bigger movies. If West Side Story is a big film as the early word mentioned and the word of Rita Moreno as the heart of the film, then she can be nominated regardless age. Youn didn’t win because she was Asian or old, she won because people loved her and loved her film (Otherwise, the delusion over Glenn Close’s overdue status would have prevailed even if no1curr about the film).

Now, with West Side Story, Nightmare Alley and Being the Ricardos coming strong with their supporting players coattailing (Named Rita Moreno, Ariana DeBose, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette or Nina Arianda), this is really bad news for small contenders like Ruth Negga and Ann Dowd. For small contenders like these need 1. a weak race or 2. becoming frontrunners since the beginning of the race. Now, Negga lost the Gotham award, Dowd wasn’t nominated either. And these days will be key for their chances. At least for now, the reveal for the Satellite don’t mention them. It’s time to pick which one of them will want to survive tbh. Both won’t survive (And maybe neither lol), but if you want to keep karmic push, it’s time for doing a Sophie’s choice.

Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

With the success of WSS, I can see Ariana DeBose getting nominated. If people really love this movie enough I could see DeBose and Moreno get nominated. However, part of me wonders if the WSS lovers’ votes might get split between the two and that could tank both? Some people are saying DeBose is the MVP, and others are saying is Moreno. Are people really going to write down both their names, or are they going to go for one or the other?

It’s kind of a similar dilemma that is facing Buckley and Johnson.

Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

Satellite Award Nominations

Actress in a Supporting Role
    Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
    Caitriona Balfe, Belfast
    Judi Dench, Belfast
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Marlee Matlin, CODA
    Ruth Negga, Passing

FYC, in all eligible categories:
    The Lost Daughter
    Passing
    The Power of the Dog

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.