Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
FilmRoyalty
  • Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Who’s to say she’s not a contender? It’s only the first week of the season. The movie hasn’t even premiered yet.

I was gonna explain that being a “serious contender” for an award does not equal a surprise nomination like those you mentioned but I won’t, I’m just fed up with the constant need GD users have of disagreeing with everyone else.

Johnson was certainly very very good (the best I’ve ever seen her which isn’t much of a statement but still) but I really preferred Buckley over her. What she did with that role was incredible.

I REALLY like both of their performances, I would be so happy if any of them got a nomination – which I doubt, the category is super stacked and there isn’t a consesus on who is the better one but personally I would go with Johnson, Buckley was excellent as always but there is some sort of effortlessness and honesty Dakota brings to the character that really amazed me. My favorite turn from her would still be in A Bigger Splash but this was very close.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

The character Ellis plays, and her performance, is a stereotype. Strong, loving mom who chastises her husband but stands by him no matter what anyway, her arguments acting as a theatrical bluff in an attempt to gain power in the relationship, but actually always knowing underneath that she will do what she’s told if he puts his foot down.

Ellis adds little beyond the obvious to the performance. She plays all those surfaces as well as can be asked, but it’s merely surface.

Dunst’s performance is significantly worse on a pure skill standpoint of being completely in command of the choices she tries to make for the character, but what she has to do is more difficult, there’s a deeper level of humanity trying to be displayed. A greater degree of fear and anguish.

The intellectual content that surrounds Dunst’s character makes her far more appealing to think about and examine. Despite her performance being worse.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I’m baffled by the Ellis slander in this thread. Of course, you don’t have to like her performance in King Richard, and that’s ok, but my biggest issue is how most of you underestimate black actresses at the Oscars. Y’all either make snarky remarks, write subjective reviews, demean their performances, ignore them altogether, or think of them as “lesser” or a “dark horse” (no pun intended) because y’all can’t stand the idea of a black actress being a threat to your favorite white actress (this season, Dunst, who, by the way, gives the same type of performance as Ellis at the same level). As it pertains to this category, y’all did the same thing to Regina King in 2019. The only black actress y’all have ever given a fair chance is Viola Davis, and that’s boggling to me, considering she’s one-note and her win was clear category fraud. If Ellis wins, it won’t be the most forgettable or the worst win in this category’s history, as some of you have mentioned. Is she my personal frontrunner? No. But I can’t say she isn’t deserving. If anything, her win here would be an inspired choice from AMPAS that would hopefully alter the idea that for a black actress to win Supporting, she has to play a stereotype. Seven of the eight past winners have won for doing just that (except King), so Ellis’ win would be a a breath of fresh air.

I understand what you are trying to say but I haven’t seen anyone say it would be the most forgettable or the worst win, I mean you would just have to look at last year when Laura Dern won and you would already find a much worse winning performance.

I did not think all that much of Ellis performance, she was solid but nothing too special for me however that has nothing to do with her being black, Ruth Negga is 90% of this thread’s participants favorite supporting performance of the year and Ariana DeBose is also being very lauded here, neither of them playing the maid stereotype. I would love to see DeBose winning next year, she is a black woman of latin descent and the fact that in 2021 only one latina woman has ever won an Oscar is very embarassing, I’m not even hoping for a lead win cause that seems to be a little too much to ask for but DeBose winning supporting for the same role Rita Moreno won exactly 60 years ago would be cute.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Can we take a moment to appreciate that Kathryn Hunter is a pretty wacky and inspiring win? It’s great to see such a theatre veteran getting some recognition for such a small performance.

And the same goes for Diana Rigg’s nomination. I honestly thought she was out of contention after the mixed response to her movie but it’s fantastic she has already received some posthumous love. I’m hoping the BAFTA jury at least may throw her some recognition too, even if it’s more for her career as a whole.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Which is still better than winning for playing a a domestic (Hattie, Octavia), magical negro (Whoopi), angry black woman (Jennifer), abusive mother (Mo’Nique), a slave (Lupita), and an emotionally abused housewife (Viola).

It’s not better than those things. Abusive and abused people exist everywhere and the damage of those life circumstances, and the stories that need to be told about them, is more important than another stock background wife character.

Also, Whoopi’s performance is iconic. Monique’s performance is iconic. They inhabited those characters in a way that was very surprising and specific. Not expected, not just platitudes.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Negga is a light skinned biracial actress. Her performance is amazing, but being biracial and monoracial aren’t the same thing. Ariana isn’t light skinned but she’s also biracial. When I say black women, I do mean fully brown/dark skinned black women like Ellis who isn’t the acceptable, palatable version of black (like Negga) that AMPAS use to highlight “diversity”

I understand your point, the Academy is still obviously racist and colorism is very relevant to their decisions of representation but as a movie fan I just wished they recognized artists when they are excellent, like Lupita Nyong’o in Us, Chadwick Boseman in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Alfre Woodard in Clemency and Denzel Washington in The Tragedy of Macbeth just to name a few performances I think deserved that win. Like I said before Ellis is very good but the role itself doesn’t allow her to show all that much of her talent, she would make a fine winner, not great but also not bad. (And yes I meant 60 years from WSS, Ariana looks beautiful and I can’t wait to see it)

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I watched The Power of the Dog last night and I need Kirsten Dunst to take her revenge for her previous snubs and take the win. She was simply breathtaking and she made so many great choices with that character that I just couldn’t imagine Rose being played by anyone else.

FYC!!:

Best Picture: The Power of the Dog
    Lead Actress: Renate Reinsve (The Worst Person in the World)
    Lead Actor: Simon Rex (Red Rocket)
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)
    Supporting Actor: Vincent Lindon (Titane)

Profile picture
    FTomoson
    Topics:

I’m baffled by the Ellis slander in this thread. Of course, you don’t have to like her performance in King Richard, and that’s ok, but my biggest issue is how most of you underestimate black actresses at the Oscars. Y’all either make snarky remarks, write subjective reviews, demean their performances, ignore them altogether, or think of them as “lesser” or a “dark horse” (no pun intended) because y’all can’t stand the idea of a black actress being a threat to your favorite white actress (this season, Dunst, who, by the way, gives the same type of performance as Ellis at the same level). As it pertains to this category, y’all did the same thing to Regina King in 2019. The only black actress y’all have ever given a fair chance is Viola Davis, and that’s boggling to me, considering she’s one-note and her win was clear category fraud.

If Ellis wins, it won’t be the most forgettable or the worst win in this category’s history, as some of you have mentioned. Is she my personal frontrunner? No. But I can’t say she isn’t deserving. If anything, her win here would be an inspired choice from AMPAS that would hopefully alter the idea that for a black actress to win Supporting, she has to play a stereotype. Seven of the eight past winners have won for doing just that (except King), so Ellis’ win would be a a breath of fresh air.

She and Balfe literally play the long-suffering wife role, yet it’s Ellis who gets the flak for it. I wonder why…

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Dern is a veteran, Tavira was in the then picture frontunner, Pugh had raves (critics singling her out and many calling it the best performance in Little Women) while Henson was in the movie that lead in nominations. Pugh also got BAFTA while Henson got SAG. So unless Johnson/Buckley get in at the precursors or unless Olivia Colman gains serious winning potential, I don’t see either Buckley or Johnson getting in (they’ll also split votes which doesn’t help).

We are literally one week into the season, like I said before.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Of course that Ellis is slandered cause Negga stans are nervous for their champ is flopping atm while Ellis took NBR.

Negga’s problem is that her character keep diminishing as the movie progresses and her arc’s closure is really Thompson arc closure. Strong start, weak finish for Negga character, unlike Thompson who has a major character development and impactful end. Which is how it is supposed to be. Negga exists as the catalyst for Thompson but isn’t more beyond that.

I don’t think that deBose and Moreno will both make it.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I am in complete disbelief that those of us who love Negga are somehow in the wrong for supporting a light skinned Black actress despite the construction and ambiguity of race being the whole point of the film. It is not colorism to want Negga to win for this role: it would be if we were all lining up for Zazie Beetz in The Harder We Fall our something but this is ridiculous.

Can you please stop making huge distinctions between biracial and monoracial for a period film about a time when the ONE DROP RULE predominated?

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

O geez, Dominique bringing it back to race once again. Girl. Don’t you get bored trying to cause problems?

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.